Are short courses (2 days) like this worth it? (php/mysql) (1 Viewer)

hungry

HSC
I've been wanting to do a short course in php and mySQL, as in, over a few weeks during holidays (especially since my degree major is in computer science but also because I want to learn it out of interest). I also find learning in a formal education environment is much more effective for me than self learning.

So anyway, I'm looking at this short course: https://cce.sydney.edu.au/course/PHP1

It seems to cover quite a bit over the span of 2 days, 15 hours total (7.5 hr a day). It also says it's possible they won't get through all the course content.

So I'm wondering, are courses like this effective at all? Waste of money? Too intensive and too little time? Or can they be very effective?

(if pre-knowledge matters, I only know HTML, CSS, and some javascript and jQuery, and a very tiny bit of mySQL(just retrieving specific data from tables using access)).

keepLooking

HSC
I'm not a Uni student yet but I know a little bit about MYSQL.

For the content outline, I would say that most of the things are rather basic and you can learn them online but I do not know exactly how detailed this course will go through it.

Course Assessment section -
Consequently in some classes it may not be possible to cover all the topics listed on this outline in equal depth.
, this basically means there's no guarantee you'll be able to cover all the topics.

If I were you, I would not pay $575 for this short course and will rather learn it online.

Ethicks

HSC
It's a waste of time, download some open source projects and learn yourself. PHP is quite simple and controversial, I personally don't see PHP being a thing going forward people are starting to utilise other languages for web development. As for MYSQL don't bother with that either, it's very simple to learn from google and making your own projects. Take something like Bootstrap and build a simple CMS system to build up your PHP skills - making the SQL DB would take literally 5 minutes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)