Are The Teachers Realistic In Regards to Hours Per Night? (1 Viewer)

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
People I know that got 99-99.95 didn't study ridiculous amounts like the stupid tutoring colleges continue to say.

btx3

HSC
Uni Grad
look m8, i dont think you did "fuck all" thats all im saying.

CBA Prodigy

HSC
look m8, i dont think you did "fuck all" thats all im saying.
Everyone that claims they did "nothing" or the "plenty 1-2 hours a night" is just deterring misinformed BOS high school students onto an inevitable path of failure.

golgo13

Alchemist
HSC
I guess what many members should advocate is the balance of work, so don't burn out too hard on study throw some other activities as it has once been stated "The candle that burns twice as bright, burns half as long" :)

btx3

HSC
Uni Grad
Everyone that claims they did "nothing" or the "plenty 1-2 hours a night" is just deterring misinformed BOS high school students onto an inevitable path of failure.
yep, I can say i didnt do enough but im not gonna go around telling people i did nothing.

deswa1

HSC
Look guys this is all an individual thing and depends so much on a lot of factors. I know .95'ers who did less than 2 hours a night and got state ranks with that as well. I also know .95'ers who studied 5 hours a school night. Personally, I was probs doing around 3 hours a night (and probs around that on weekends too), and then more during exam blocks. I also know people who did that much study and got a much lower ATAR.

Don't study by the hours- 2 hours of good study (however you learn best) is worth much more than 4 hours of crap study. No one gives a shit if you do 10 hours of study- the ONLY thing that matters if what you can put down on that paper when the examiner goes 'your time starts now'. Don't worry about time and unlocking achievements for hitting 10 hours in a day- do as much as YOU need to do to understand everything effectively.

Look at your ATAR goal and play around with ATAR calcs. Work out what mark you need in each subject and also work off that. If you're going for .95, that'll take a lot more work than flat 99 which'll take a lot more work than 95 etc etc.

But in response to opening question- those are WAY too many hours to do- you need a life and you need balance. From what I've seen, the very top students often aren't those who basement their whole lives.

Good luck!

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
this whole time I thought deswa was asian, until i met techs at unsw

Tasteless

HSC
lol

my sister got 99.1 and I assure you she did no more than
assignments, make some notes, a couple of papers before exams and pay attention in class.

jamesischool

Forum Lurker
HSC
Uni Grad
Look guys this is all an individual thing and depends so much on a lot of factors. I know .95'ers who did less than 2 hours a night and got state ranks with that as well. I also know .95'ers who studied 5 hours a school night. Personally, I was probs doing around 3 hours a night (and probs around that on weekends too), and then more during exam blocks. I also know people who did that much study and got a much lower ATAR.

Don't study by the hours- 2 hours of good study (however you learn best) is worth much more than 4 hours of crap study. No one gives a shit if you do 10 hours of study- the ONLY thing that matters if what you can put down on that paper when the examiner goes 'your time starts now'. Don't worry about time and unlocking achievements for hitting 10 hours in a day- do as much as YOU need to do to understand everything effectively.

Look at your ATAR goal and play around with ATAR calcs. Work out what mark you need in each subject and also work off that. If you're going for .95, that'll take a lot more work than flat 99 which'll take a lot more work than 95 etc etc.

But in response to opening question- those are WAY too many hours to do- you need a life and you need balance. From what I've seen, the very top students often aren't those who basement their whole lives.

Good luck!
^
I did like 2 hours a day and maybe 4 (if lucky) on the weekend. of course this increased to probably double during exams and right before HSC it was pretty much all the time. do as much as you need to understand everything and pace yourself. you're in a marathon and the end is a long way away

WeaselPowa

HSC
Why is that so correct.

IMO I would say organise a timetable. Spend around half an hour on each subject when you come home. Then go to sleep at nine, wake up at five and revise the notes you made!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)