• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Are there any good Christian Clubs at MQ? (1 Viewer)

mrbplus

HSC
It sounds like Student Life is the most active group on campus since everyone seems to know about them.

Are the 'friendly' in a scary kind of way, or just genuinely nice?

Has anyone been to one of their meetings or social events? Are they any good?

X

xeuyrawp

mrbplus said:
It sounds like Student Life is the most active group on campus since everyone seems to know about them.

Are the 'friendly' in a scary kind of way, or just genuinely nice?

Has anyone been to one of their meetings or social events? Are they any good?
Frankly, your being a graduate of the uni, having pictures of the uni, and talking about buildings and grounds, yet somehow not knowing about StudentLife, freaks me out.

How could you not know about StudentLife, yet have graduated from a degree at MU?

Smokin'Squirrel

Learning to Surf
HSC
To tell u the truth, I hadn’t really heard of them either… although I’m not all that active in uni social clubs.

I once had a bloke ambush me as I came out of the library, asking for a donation for some random charity. It was then that I envisioned the perfect response:

“Sorry, I don’t give to charities that actively ask me for my hard earned money… but good luck” *then turn and walk away*

It comes in handy and they can’t engage you in conversation. Maybe you can use something similar on the studentlife recruiters.

HSC
N/A
Man, religion converters kinda suck. It's not the religion I have problems with... it's just the individuals who try to say "You must admit to yourself that you are a heathen and that we MUST convert you!" in as many different ways as possible.

As I haven't been approached by studentlife more than once (Enrollment day 2005, they were standing on the way to the enrollment room), I guess it's not too bad. On one of my trips to USYD, this happened.

Them: Would you like to have information about our Christian group?
Me: No thanks
Them: Why not?
Me: (trying to be honest) Because I've had too many bad experiences with people trying to convert me
Them: We would never do that! We're a very open-minded group, only you can open your eyes to see the truth.

Me: *internal head desk* Um, ok. Bye! *runs away*

iwannarock

HSC
wow i've never heard of this studentlife thing.

i vaguely remember back in first year being asked to fill out a survey for a free lollypop. survey was quite weird and religious. i knew what they were on to and walked away with lollypop in hand.

they seem like a pack of vultures.

"good christian clubs" is an oxymoron.

wait i've forgotten what an oxymoron is. shit i used to be good at english. what the hell is an onamatapoea for that matter.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
oxymoron, self contradictory word/phrase, salty sugar etc.

onamatapoea is something which sounds like a sound, woof? (i think)

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
I'll never forget what an onamatapoea is. I remember this poem in year 8 written by some black woman, and she was the goddess of onamatapoea poems according to my teacher.

Yeah, Asy is right, its a word that describes a sound, like woof or rustle... great times! :D

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Did it resemble something like this:

Woof Woof, Woooooosh
SCREEEEECH, DDDOOOORRRIFFFTO!!!

Tabris

HSC
I think i have seen them, they carry some lollipops around and ask u to fill out a survey, i have never been approached by any of them, i know there are christian clubs because of all the stuff they stick on the walls, but never heard what they are called

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
didn't your teachers drill into you how to spell onomatopoeia?? We must have spelt it 100 times. :p

iwannarock

HSC
Smokin'Squirrel said:
"ding ding ding"

Alliteration, a pun, repetition and onomatopoeia all in one go. Victory is mine... :)

... sorry, couldn't help myself.
onomatopoeia should take a leaf out of its own book and sound like how it is spelt.

wait that's a different thing all together. it should be spelt phoenetically. ah thats the name for it.

this thread has turned into english 101 here.

philly17

From my experience of the Christian clubs the most conservative would be The Catholic Chaplaincy, Catholic Asian Society, This Christian group lacuna or something used to be called navigaters. Student life is candy theology it isnt proper christianity really its all fun fun hillsong like.

X

xeuyrawp

Philomena_86 said:
Student life is candy theology it isnt proper christianity really its all fun fun hillsong like.
Really, your warped absolutionist views are disgusting.

If you wanted your God to enforce a proper theology, maybe you shouldn't have picked a religion which's God was the original 'stick it to the institution' man? Oh wait, you didn't chose your religion...

HSC
N/A
There needs to BE an ENGL101 class for us to discuss such highly interesting stuff like this.... :D

X

xeuyrawp

glitterfairy said:
There needs to BE an ENGL101 class for us to discuss such highly interesting stuff like this.... :D
You can always do the unit on the Da Vinci code.... :)

I love it how the Catholics' response to the book (especially creating units at universities to study it) really just made it more popular.

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
glitterfairy said:
Man, religion converters kinda suck. It's not the religion I have problems with... it's just the individuals who try to say "You must admit to yourself that you are a heathen and that we MUST convert you!" in as many different ways as possible.
Or they cover it up by handing out pamplets on 'ways to improve your life'. "We're a family help group". THEN BAm1! You've been brainwashed and somehow get yourself involved into some weird following.

NANANANAN Batman!

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
nanannanaanan lea-der lea-DER LEAAA-DEEER

philly17

Rob Its great how u knock everything I say cose I'm Catholic but anyway I think I should correct u when u claim Catholics at macq made up the course about de-coding the da vinci code. If u read the sign correctly u would note its the Christian Insititte ppl not Catholics. And is there really a gay Christian group or is that a joke? cose u are so like agnostic so why bother....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)