Are tutoring questions harder than HSC questions? (1 Viewer)

Vdog

HSC
Do tutoring centres give you questions that are harder than the ones in the actual HSC? For example, I saw some maths questions from Dr Du from a friend who goes and some of them really require thinking outside the box. Is it necessary to go to tutoring to familiarise yourself with these hard questions for more practice? Or is continuously doing questions in past papers sufficient for practice? And if not, where can I find such hard questions in high quantities without paying for tutoring? I'm worried that without tutoring, I might not be sufficiently prepared for externals, since they are probably harder than my school's internals. My subjects are Ex2 maths, Ex1 maths, english adv, physics, chemistry and economics if that helps. Any suggestions for resources to practice exam style questions for my subjects would be greatly appreciated.

5uckerberg

HSC
Do tutoring centres give you questions that are harder than the ones in the actual HSC? For example, I saw some maths questions from Dr Du from a friend who goes and some of them really require thinking outside the box. Is it necessary to go to tutoring to familiarise yourself with these hard questions for more practice? Or is continuously doing questions in past papers sufficient for practice? And if not, where can I find such hard questions in high quantities without paying for tutoring? I'm worried that without tutoring, I might not be sufficiently prepared for externals, since they are probably harder than my school's internals. My subjects are Ex2 maths, Ex1 maths, English adv, physics, chemistry and economics if that helps. Any suggestions for resources to practice exam-style questions for my subjects would be greatly appreciated.
Okay some websites for suggestions, THSC Online, AceHSC. This website. If there is anything else throw them up.

s97127

HSC
Do tutoring centres give you questions that are harder than the ones in the actual HSC? For example, I saw some maths questions from Dr Du from a friend who goes and some of them really require thinking outside the box. Is it necessary to go to tutoring to familiarise yourself with these hard questions for more practice? Or is continuously doing questions in past papers sufficient for practice? And if not, where can I find such hard questions in high quantities without paying for tutoring? I'm worried that without tutoring, I might not be sufficiently prepared for externals, since they are probably harder than my school's internals. My subjects are Ex2 maths, Ex1 maths, english adv, physics, chemistry and economics if that helps. Any suggestions for resources to practice exam style questions for my subjects would be greatly appreciated.
i think past papers from top selective/private schools should be enough. Are your friends willing to share hard problems from Dr Du?

vishnay

God
HSC
these harder questions r just to train u for the q16 type stuff

just do a bunch of hard questions from past hsc, trials and textbooks and u should be good

Vdog

HSC
i think past papers from top selective/private schools should be enough. Are your friends willing to share hard problems from Dr Du?
Maybe a few every now and then. I wouldn't count on it since everyone is competing for internals and want every advantage they can.

Vdog

HSC
these harder questions r just to train u for the q16 type stuff

just do a bunch of hard questions from past hsc, trials and textbooks and u should be good
are there any specific textbooks i should use/avoid? specifically for maths, chem and phys.

vishnay

God
HSC
are there any specific textbooks i should use/avoid? specifically for maths, chem and phys.
for maths: cambridge, terry lee and mastering r pretty solid

i use tutoring resources for everything else

EDIT: tutoring resources that i paid for :)

DheerChoudhury

HSC
If you can, try and avoid MIF as your base. I feel like Cambridge as a base rather than a supplement might've helped me.
I mean, I found Pearson sufficient for Chem and Phys...tbh I was never really drawn to the In Focus books.

nourished.

HSC
Don't overthink it. HSC and trial papers are good enough.

As for textbooks recommendations - Cambridge for Maths, Physics and Chem In Focus, and Time Dixon for Economics.

GhoulGhost

HSC
N/A
I agree with the other poster, use Cambridge, and Mastering, they have questions that train you for harder HSC questions. Although if you can get your hands on all the textbooks either through a friend or online, you should definitely do so. If not, avoid MIF and New Senior. Although keep in mind, the books don't help you for the harder questions (enrichment), those ones you either must have a teacher/tutor or the worked solutions to understand what to do if you have no prior experience with those types of questions (unless you're a Maths god).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)