Are writing your own notes really necessary? (1 Viewer)

2xL

HSC
Just a thought, why not just source someone else's notes (checking they are of good quality and cover the entire syllabus of your course) and study from them without writing your own? Writing your own takes a lot of time especially if you are doing the whole course (I have written notes before for phys+Chem but I do it in a module by module basis throughout the year). Time could be better spent actually studying the notes rather than writing them (and formatting them etc.).

NB: Need motivation to write notes.

Aysce

HSC
Writing notes allows you to retain the information as well as remember it.

I for one cannot read or study another person's notes since I feel that it may not cover the content in as much detail as I would have. It's obviously subjective. Some people need to write notes to understand the information, whilst others can just read another person's notes and retain the information.

m.jakaran

HSC
There are 2 reasons for making notes: having notes and (hopefully) learning in the process of making notes. I myself rarely make notes when there's an abundance of resources but I have a friend who does very well and literally "files them away" after he's done. It really varies significantly between people so try it and see if it works for you.

M

MichelleV

I made my own notes for areas we had covered that i wasn't confident for.

For example, in ancient history which was my best subject, I was extremely confident with the Pompeii and Herculaneum section so I was happy to just read through notes and text books, however, for the topic on the Greek Wars, I always got dates/people/battles confused, so I made my own notes which helped me to better understand and remember what I needed to work on.

madharris

HSC
N/A
I write my own notes at the end of each week because it allows me to go over what we did in class as well as use my own examples for certain things. Also, using other peoples notes can be confusing as they might learn things differently to you, you might not like the page layout of the notes. You might like short notes or long notes and other peoples notes may not be how you like it.
I use other people's notes to add to mine if I'm missing anything

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I tend to do half and half, write notes for some sections, but use other people's notes for some sections if I feel they suit me to study from.

jnney

lemon
HSC
I write my own because sometimes I'm crazy and I have perfectionist tendencies. Other times I merge my notes and other people's together to make le super notes.

ismeta

HSC
Like others have said...I write notes so I can hopefully retain some of that information that I've written down. I've found it helps a lot :D (for IPT it helped a lot...that said, I made a lot of notes.) Additionally I have paper lying around and it feels sad because it's not being used, so I use it.

enoilgam

HSC
Just a thought, why not just source someone else's notes (checking they are of good quality and cover the entire syllabus of your course) and study from them without writing your own? Writing your own takes a lot of time especially if you are doing the whole course (I have written notes before for phys+Chem but I do it in a module by module basis throughout the year). Time could be better spent actually studying the notes rather than writing them (and formatting them etc.).

NB: Need motivation to write notes.
Most people use their own notes in some way. However, you dont have to. If you find using other peoples notes to be effective, then you should do it.

2xL

HSC
Like others have said...I write notes so I can hopefully retain some of that information that I've written down. I've found it helps a lot :D (for IPT it helped a lot...that said, I made a lot of notes.) Additionally I have paper lying around and it feels sad because it's not being used, so I use it.
That is deep.

2xL

HSC
Writing notes allows you to retain the information as well as remember it.

I for one cannot read or study another person's notes since I feel that it may not cover the content in as much detail as I would have. It's obviously subjective. Some people need to write notes to understand the information, whilst others can just read another person's notes and retain the information.
Hi there, just wanna say, PDHPE REPPIN! Boo to the asian combo :) PDHPE deserves better scaling though :(

Aysce

HSC
Hi there, just wanna say, PDHPE REPPIN! Boo to the asian combo :) PDHPE deserves better scaling though :(
I wish I went the asian combo. PDHPE is a decent subject, but it doesn't hold a candle to economics. Wanna defy scaling together mate? :)

On topic: WRITE YOUR NOTES!!!

Coffeine

HSC
It helps you iterate the syllabus points in your own words and understand what you have to learn in greater detail. Using somebody else' notes is pretty weak unless you're going to use it like a textbook while answering prac questions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)