Are you happy with what you are currently studying (at USyd)? (1 Viewer)

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
i hate all my subjects

why am i paying 8 grand to do such bullshit

maths i will never need to use in practise
gay matlab that takes a semester to learn wat u could learn in 10 minutes reading a book
bs aero that we are only gonna do again wen it actually counts
gay law bs that has nothing to do with law

i guess only adv engo and solidworks are worth the doe

i hope it gets better

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
^ lol why'd you do engo then?

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
Can't you do a BSc with a major in compsci and a major in maths?
Nah ive looked at the comp sci major at usyd, not really what im after. The comp sci @ unsw is more similar to the computer science and technology course @ usyd

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
no, my degree is fricking hard, harder than i ever could even expect. combined with having to put up with city rail, stupid, stupid mature age ppl asking stupid questions, and soooooooo many hours of study, it sux.

But what else would i do? nothing else interests me, i've wanted to do this since before i can even remember. Someone should have told me when i was age 10 that it would be this hard, then maybe i could have focused my hopes on something else.

today is proably not the best day to ask.... maybe i will post again in a few days on a happier note....

Lainee

HSC
Very happy with the course I've chosen so far, especially law. Had my doubts in the beginning with Commerce because I felt maybe Economics and Social Sciences or Arts would have been more -me-, but it's working out pretty well as marks go.

Law - a cool class, excellent tutor and overall interesting topics. Just.. after a law seminar I'd feel -slightly- smarter but still dumber than everyone else.
Micro - liking it. Economics was one of my fav subjects for the HSC, so thankfully I'm keeping the trend going.
Ecmt - not as bad as you would think. Getting good marks in it. Had a superb tutor, and except for Murray, everything was good.
Acct - not to my liking at all. I hate the repetitiveness and just having to memorise and apply set standards - not very intellectually stimulating at all. Just want to get it over and done with.

Just wish I could've done an arts or science subject as well...

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
u thought our tutor was excellent?????

i guess you'll be blown away wen we actually have a good tutor then :)

nit

HSC
Happy with whatever I'm doing now and my subjects will become more med-y next year, which I'm looking forward to.

SeDaTeD

HSC
Have fun with your scalpel.
I uess the first year material is so-so, I wanna get to higher year stuff though, that's where the interesting stuff starts. But overall unis been good.

Lainee

HSC
gordo said:
u thought our tutor was excellent?????

i guess you'll be blown away wen we actually have a good tutor then :)
I guess opinions vary. A couple of other people think she's quite good as well. Just the fact that she encourages such a open atmosphere and she picks up exactly what you're trying to say - especially if you're me and tend to forget arguments midway through. :cool:

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Apart from the fact that i rarely run into the majority of bos usyd folk, commerce (lib) is the coolest degree ive ever done. Its perfect for what i want to do. :)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
jpr333 said:
Yes it is a good subject, no reqs!
you have to do ECOF1001.

Oh and looks like i'm on the way to a transfer :) 34/40 for my IR essay. Only need 77.75% in my final exam to get an HD.

J

jhakka

I like my degree, though a couple of the subjects annoy me.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
I might go from engineering and science back to just science, but that is a decision to be made later down the track this year.

Subjects so far:
MATH1901: Henderson actually makes this subject interesting, especially considering the percentage of the course I know.
MATH1902: Not too bad, just that there were way too many theorem/proof set out exactly like a research paper.
CHEM1901: Meh (like to expand on that nit?)
ENGG1800: Biggest load of bs ever.
ENGG1801: MATLAB is a joke.

SeDaTeD said:
I guess the first year material is so-so
Yep. I wanted to do MATH3005 this year.

Otherwise, I'm happy with the prospect of doing maths and biochem next year, plus some anatomy.

nit

HSC
what's wrong with chemistry? :eek:

Chem 1901 is kind of interesting, especially with Captain Kepert [lecturer Cameron Kepert] constantly carrying out experiments that either a.) simply don't work or b.) work so slowly that no-one cares once it's started. The most annoying thing is him holding up a little voltmeter to the class expecting all 200 of us to be able to see the minute reading on it, and getting excited about the whole prac which was stuffed up anyway. Apart from that he's an efficient lecturer who takes his material too seriously.

tennille

HSC
nit said:
what's wrong with chemistry? :eek:

Chem 1901 is kind of interesting, especially with Captain Kepert [lecturer Cameron Kepert] constantly carrying out experiments that either a.) simply don't work or b.) work so slowly that no-one cares once it's started. The most annoying thing is him holding up a little voltmeter to the class expecting all 200 of us to be able to see the minute reading on it, and getting excited about the whole prac which was stuffed up anyway. Apart from that he's an efficient lecturer who takes his material too seriously.
Yeah, I agree. He's cool :)

I wouldn't be able to read the voltmeter if I was standing right in front of it with my glasses on :p

SeDaTeD

HSC
For some strange reason I cannot seem to recall much of what happens during chemistry...

nit

HSC
That'd be right. You always wake up when there's a commotion in the room, which means you've either missed a prac or a funny moment. Then you're told to dose off again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)