• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Are you pro life or pro choice? (3 Viewers)

Are you pro life or pro choice

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

hobonichis_techo

HSC
Definitely pro choice. If you don't let anyone do abortions, more and more disabled people, such as people with down syndrome, will have to unfortunately suffer living a miserable life. Plus it keeps the gene pool healthy too. That's the first thought that comes to mind when I hear about abortions becoming illegal in the US.
Keeps the gene pool healthy?!!! Sounds like eugenics ngl

synthesisFR

afterhscivemostlybeentrollingdonttakeitsrsly
HSC
i guess it depends on factors like if the pregnancy is risky for the mother's life, or like other things such as wanting to do abortions very late on
and what about rape? what about teen pregnancies where the mum is unable to take care of the child and the dad goes to get the milk?

Definitely pro choice. If you don't let anyone do abortions, more and more disabled people, such as people with down syndrome, will have to unfortunately suffer living a miserable life. Plus it keeps the gene pool healthy too. That's the first thought that comes to mind when I hear about abortions becoming illegal in the US.
so kids who have genetic disorders should not be given the same chance at life as everybody else because you think they are inferior and only want to focus on the big picture of continuously improving the gene pool? would this view that you have also extend to people of different races that typically have different capabilities?

u know misdiagnosis happens, r u gonna throw ur baby out if they're born with a disability??
what if you knew the baby would be fully deformed at birth and unable to carry out most tasks by themselves and never be able to step up on their own and always require you to take care of them for the rest of your life, not the mention the financial burden?

research has shown that in the us infant mortality has raised significantly after the abortion bans.
would you care to explain this stat a bit more? what is causing it e.g illegal abortions etc?

nonya2000

Banned
HSC
so kids who have genetic disorders should not be given the same chance at life as everybody else because you think they are inferior and only want to focus on the big picture of continuously improving the gene pool? would this view that you have also extend to people of different races that typically have different capabilities?

would you care to explain this stat a bit more? what is causing it e.g illegal abortions etc?
Didn't have to bring race here. I never said any race was inferior. But it's undeniable that people with down syndrome are in fact inferior. Hence, they were called "mentally retarded". I haven't even mentioned the physical disabilities that also come with people with down syndrome.

katiekms

/bænd/
HSC
“Overall infant mortality, they found, rose by 7% in October 2022, March 2023 and April 2023.
On average, in those months, researchers found that there were roughly 247 more infant deaths a month than expected. In six out of those 18 months, mortality among infants with congenital anomalies rose by 10%. In those months, there were about 210 more deaths a month than expected. Infant mortality rates never dropped lower than expected.” “The researchers behind that study also found that deaths among infants with congenital anomalies spiked. These conditions can frequently be detected in utero and, in states where abortion is still legal, lead people to terminate their pregnancies, especially since they may be incompatible with life. However, that may no longer be an option for people living under abortion bans.”. Also, i’ve seen so many people talk about cases where they (the woman) have been on the verge of death due to pregnancy complications however the doctors refuse to operate until they get express clearance or whatever to do a life saving abortion as per the laws or something - this not only causes more death in pregnant women but more infant death.

Cute-Duckie

Arbitrarily Active Member
HSC
absolutely pro-choice. pro-choice is pro-life - for the women who are too often forced to carry their babies to term, at the risk of their health, their freedom in life, and therefore at a loss of their choices and rights. women should be able to choose what they want to do with their bodies - always.

nonya2000

Banned
HSC
absolutely pro-choice. pro-choice is pro-life - for the women who are too often forced to carry their babies to term, at the risk of their health, their freedom in life, and therefore at a loss of their choices and rights. women should be able to choose what they want to do with their bodies - always.
You know how some terminally ill pets are euthanized since they have a cancer, or even worse, have lost a leg? Why does society think the same can't apply to human beings? Parents should also have a choice on whether they want to put their suffering loved one out of their misery at the discretion of a hopital.

synthesisFR

HSC
Didn't have to bring race here. I never said any race was inferior. But it's undeniable that people with down syndrome are in fact inferior. Hence, they were called "mentally retarded". I haven't even mentioned the physical disabilities that also come with people with down syndrome.
you didn't really answer the question i had. inferior to you so you think that it should be acceptable to abort? so do you also place a floor based on physical and mental abilities, and any child below that should also be treated as inferior?

I hope you see how closely this relates to eugenics, would you say that you believe in that concept fully?

And I brought in race as a secondary attachment to understand exactly how far you were willing to go with the idea of improving the gene pool. Darker skinned people for example are much less prone to get skin cancer so since all you care about is maximising gene pool health you would prefer if the whole world war darker skinned?

nonya2000

Banned
HSC
you didn't really answer the question i had. inferior to you so you think that it should be acceptable to abort? so do you also place a floor based on physical and mental abilities, and any child below that should also be treated as inferior?

I hope you see how closely this relates to eugenics, would you say that you believe in that concept fully?

And I brought in race as a secondary attachment to understand exactly how far you were willing to go with the idea of improving the gene pool. Darker skinned people for example are much less prone to get skin cancer so since all you care about is maximising gene pool health you would prefer if the whole world war darker skinned?
I mean yeah cause we don't need to have more people suffering from an incredibly low IQ and physical disabilities. Society will literally collapse if these people over populate. Luckily they don't tend to reproduce a "hag-seed", and only ever occur from a mutation, which can be detected prior to giving birth thus abortion can take place. However, there are still some stubborn people who wont abort the diagnosed baby. They just don't know what's coming their way.

Last edited:
HSC
all the people i see with down syndrome seem happy as hell, let them live their life 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

its_ace21

/æɪs/
HSC
and what about rape? what about teen pregnancies where the mum is unable to take care of the child and the dad goes to get the milk?
yeah ik which is y i said it depends on factors, here id say yeah but some people decide to take abortions sooo late which is the only problem (unless ofc if its gonna cause harm to the mother)

what if you knew the baby would be fully deformed at birth and unable to carry out most tasks by themselves and never be able to step up on their own and always require you to take care of them for the rest of your life, not the mention the financial burden?
idk, if heard stories where people get a diagnosis and they turn out to be wrong, ik someone was told their kid was gonna haev downsyndrome but they didnt

nonya2000

Banned
HSC
yeah ik which is y i said it depends on factors, here id say yeah but some people decide to take abortions sooo late which is the only problem (unless ofc if its gonna cause harm to the mother)

idk, if heard stories where people get a diagnosis and they turn out to be wrong, ik someone was told their kid was gonna haev downsyndrome but they didnt
If it's even detected in the slightest, why take the risk? You can always make another one in a year, but once that thing exits the womb, you cannot legally put it out of its misery.

gooner

HSC
If it's even detected in the slightest, why take the risk? You can always make another one in a year, but once that thing exits the womb, you cannot legally put it out of its misery.
i think its fine up until the baby starts speaking

synthesisFR

HSC

why does not one answer the question smh

here is the question:
would you then abort before they were born?

you are supposed to answer this question ^
please address all parts of the question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)