Area of Study Stimulus Booklet Notes (1 Viewer)

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
I posted these on the AOS forum as well but i thought ppl may need them - help yourself and if there is any thing ive left out please let me know! good luck ..
p.s. theyre in no order

ok, they were good, but maybe not as excellent as everyone thinks..? =]
i didnt read the last few pages of comments, but from my point of view, in TRNT and TTWTSS, you focussed to much on the simple ideas that everyone will.
in The town where time stands still; it seems you are too conscious of the expected structure[too much analysis] and there isn't much flow. i dont know about the jesse martin bit.. it also sounds abit awkward when you refer to "this excerpt", "this word", "the final sentence" - maybe try structuring your answer around the message more than chronologically going through the techniques.
find different ways of including quotes
and with the road not taken, [did you have to write an essay for school?] A lot of it could be edited out and maybe should be for trials/hsc
i had the idea that stimulus materials were only for relatively brief analysis- just to piece together ideas and our understanding of the supplementary texts and poems in the essay
hope advice helps

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
Um we had to write them for school hence why they are so long!
thanks for ur advice.. although im not gonna change them im happy wit the stuff i did and it makes sense to me even if it is only satisfactory.
Do u have a copy of ur module notes for these texts? i would love to see them.

HSC
N/A
Constructive Criticism for mazza's review of "Journey To The Interior"

Most of the major sub-issues in an essay, you've got, but you're not exploring them in as great a depth as you should (perhaps this was due to these notes being written in a rush?). Also, you may wish to work on your sophistication and condensation. You also need to talk a LOT more about techniques - there are a lot more in there, and not just the basic "Visual imagery" and "alliteration" variety. Enjambment as well as other poetic techniques I need to study to remember the names of... *blush* So you may as well all know that I'm on 100% on my stuff either, if you don't like this post, I'm not going to mind.

Be very careful when when you talk about the brambles.
-Does the audience truly have to 'go off and do some research' to find out if brambes should be there or not? In my personal opinion, the only thing "weird" about that line is that by that point there's such a strong rhythmical pull to the poem that you're probably willing to listen to the composer even if she starts talking about pulling green bunny rabbits out of her fridge. It's only that very little part of your mind that goes "hey, isn't that impossible?"

And to put the rest in a nutshell because I'm hungry and haven't had breakfast yet:
Journey to the Interior could be interpreted in different ways. Rather than coming out and saying "everything is", you may wish to say "It is evident to me" or "in my opinion Atwood is..." etc.

For example, "The final paragraph shows another example at the author's desperation to escape the seriousness of her inner world"

Perhaps this is your personal opinion, but in my opinion, Atwood is revelling in the fact she finally got to her inner world. As evidence, I'm pointing out the structure of the poem and how, as you go to the "interior" of Atwood's poem, so too do you go into the "interior" of her mind/inner journey. It's the one time and place where she's finally escaped from the annoying realities of everyday life, eg her kitchen which popped up a lot in the second stanza.

Remember that there really isn't any one "right" answer. Your interpretation and My interpretation are different, but both could be correct. Another factor that is important is the type of journey you study - I'm doing Inner Journey (hence the reason why I'm VERY interested in the final stanza, and you seem to be more interested in the first and second stanzas), while you might be doing Imaginary.

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
Thanks for the ideas... Im doing physical journey myeslf . As far as the "In my opinion .. " thing I was under the impression that we werent meant to be putting our opinion in, like making it a personal response, i thought it was an analysis of the texts but i may be wrong. Honestly i did these responses a while ago and havent changed them since, they were far from rushed but I didnt wanna go on about the poems too much -- i bullshit and ramble too much and so perhaps didnt go enough in detail. sorry guys
Thanks again xoxo

HSC
N/A
Ok, well, let's try another one then.

How about "It could be interpreted as....."
or even "It is suggested/implied"
or "With the notion of Physical Journey in mind it appears..."
:)

Don't bash yourself up too much, we've all learnt so much over the last month or two. what I write nowadays is vastly different to that of a few months ago, and I imagine you're the same :)

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
mazza_728 said:
still more (the road not taken)
I dissagree with something you say in this:

Throughout the poem the rhyme scheme is ABAAB except for the final stanza where Frost has created emphasis on the last line “And that has made all the difference” by implementing a new scheme ABAAC where the final though stands out, stand alone.
I disagree with this. In my opinion, Hence and Difference rhyme, therefore, maintaining the ABAAB rythm.

mz_purfect

Pedantic Perfectionist
A paradoxical world where innocents suffer n crims
HSC
Analytical notes on ALL stimulus texts

heya guys, I've jus attached all my notes on all Stimulus texts and how they portray the concept of 'journey' via differing techniques....
hope they r helpful and tell me if anything is wrong! :)

"Success is a journey not a destination. The doing is usually more important than the outcome. Not everyone can be Number 1."

Last edited:
HSC
Brief notes

Okay I realise these notes are very... simple...

But that's after I figured out that when you're only writing one 40 minute essay including Tempest, Stimulus Booklet, Supplementary Texts, you can't write that much...

Oh yeah, and I only did two texts because I'm lazy...

So here goes, good luck to all the 2005 crammers!

chibi_teazer

HSC
jumb said:
I dissagree with something you say in this:

I disagree with this. In my opinion, Hence and Difference rhyme, therefore, maintaining the ABAAB rythm.
Both of you are right. It does rhyme. But it is a pararhyme in that it almost rhymes. And THAT upsets the rhythm of the poem. It doesn't change it. Indicating... that... something has changed.

KraideR

HSC
iwantnotes&stuf said:
ok, they were good, but maybe not as excellent as everyone thinks..? =]
i didnt read the last few pages of comments, but from my point of view, in TRNT and TTWTSS, you focussed to much on the simple ideas that everyone will.
in The town where time stands still; it seems you are too conscious of the expected structure[too much analysis] and there isn't much flow. i dont know about the jesse martin bit.. it also sounds abit awkward when you refer to "this excerpt", "this word", "the final sentence" - maybe try structuring your answer around the message more than chronologically going through the techniques.
find different ways of including quotes
and with the road not taken, [did you have to write an essay for school?] A lot of it could be edited out and maybe should be for trials/hsc
i had the idea that stimulus materials were only for relatively brief analysis- just to piece together ideas and our understanding of the supplementary texts and poems in the essay
hope advice helps
how come i cant see any posting on "The town where time stands still"
o_O"

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
To all that read this forum:
I made these notes over 2 years ago now. Over that time i hope they have helped 17000 odd students. I posted them when I was doing my own HSC and tried to help everyone in my year .. perhaps I shouldve been more selfish! I was given fantastic marks especially in English and was very pleased with my notes. I worked hard on them along time ago! So point of the story is if you dont like them or if they are "missing the town where time stood still" or "it doesnt rhyme" or "theyre too simple" then tough! I dont give a shit. Im not changing them Ill just remove them, Im sick of getting the emails in my inbox that another lil whinger has something to complain about. Get stuffed if you dont like them simple as that. They are here to help people.

Last edited:

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I think you've done a great job with the notes, remember that they are your notes that you have offered to submit them to these forums. I guess all those deleted messages in this thread were offensive criticisms from other members but take it easy, I'm sure there were some that appreciated your notes. :)

Just a suggestion: maybe remove the e-mail from your profile?

Mr-1-Dont-Know

HSC
In relation to "The Ivory Trail", i was wondering if it was possible to elaborate on the pictures themselves in kinda more depth, as today my En class was discussing this text, and i noticed no one brought up the fact that the pictures it self are very "pixelated", i.e. u can see the pixels, rather then smooth edges

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)