Area using integration Question Help. (1 Viewer)

Nezuko----

HSC
Hi! I was stuck on two questions from the Cambridge Mathematics Extension 1 Textbook => Exercise 5G Q14 and Q17.
- I was able to do the graphing and working out but I got the wrong answer from the textbook answers. Could someone help me with worked solutions, so I can see where I went wrong? Thanks!!

Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 10.40.09 pm.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 10.40.18 pm.png

...xD

HSC
Hi! I was stuck on two questions from the Cambridge Mathematics Extension 1 Textbook => Exercise 5G Q14 and Q17.
- I was able to do the graphing and working out but I got the wrong answer from the textbook answers. Could someone help me with worked solutions, so I can see where I went wrong? Thanks!!

View attachment 35590
View attachment 35591
There's actually worked solutions for most cambridge books on the cambridge go website (if you still have a valid code ofc)

5uckerberg

HSC

View attachment 35590
View attachment 35591
Question 17
Pretty straightforward

Ask yourself, what does the function look like?

Once you have that find the zeros in .
Once that is solved step 2
Find x=0 for by subbing x=0 into as is an upward facing parabola that got moved down by 1. Note here you have found a section where .

That is not the end of the story and I assume that is where you had difficulties.

At this point we need to have , thus giving us
Simplifying we will have implying at
Thus, in the ranges of and .

part ii

This is where I have a very interesting way of viewing the question. Let me give you a simple question. Suppose we have decided to replace x with 10 so now instead of we have . Pretty self-explanatory.

At this point, we will obtain 693-99 which gives us 594 which simply is in the range of -1 to 1 noting that .

The other region is 99-693 which is -594 which when converted to a polynomial is just in the range of 1 to 4.

Now we have this in the bag convert them to integrals

. Solve this on your own. If you need further help or clarification then you can reply here describing what you need help on or what you need clarified.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)