• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

arggh! help (contract law) (1 Viewer)

It

HSC
i have question that is bugging me and i really cant understand. all my text book seems to do is confuse this shit out of me....

can a promise to pay 600,000 for a house be seen as "consideration" or does the person buying the house have to actually pay some of the money?

in other words, is the promise to pay the "consideration" or do they actually have to pay some to be seen as the consideration?

i really have got no idea and am totally lost. any help is greatly appreciated. thanks

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
It said:
can a promise to pay 600,000 for a house be seen as "consideration" or does the person buying the house have to actually pay some of the money?

in other words, is the promise to pay the "consideration" or do they actually have to pay some to be seen as the consideration?
The promise to pay is the consideration.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
MoonlightSonata said:
MS, if consideration can also be a promise... then what difference does that make with revocation of bare offers and the inability to revoke an 'option' contract with consideration as in Goldsborough?

santaslayer

HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
Isn't the $600,000 amount the 'consideration' and not the 'promise' itself?

OK, The promise is the amount, I see what you mean, but would the 'amount' actually be a better answer? I'm sorta rephrasing what frigid's questioning I guess. I hope I make sense. lol

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Frigid said:
MS, if consideration can also be a promise... then what difference does that make with revocation of bare offers and the inability to revoke an 'option' contract with consideration as in Goldsborough?
Most of the time consideration is the promise. Eg. A contract where I will pay $100 for you to paint my house. My promise to pay and your promise to paint is the consideration.

The only time an act itself is consideration (ie. where there is a promise for an act) is where there is a unilateral contract (at the time of formation, one party has promised to do one thing, and the other party has already done that thing). Eg. I offer $50 for anyone who finds my lost turtle. A contract arises when you find the turtle.

In answer to Frigid's question, conisderation is still the promise. You promise to pay $20 and I promise to keep the offer open. (If there is no consideration you might have an estoppel claim against me though :p)

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
santaslayer said:
Isn't the $600,000 amount the 'consideration' and not the 'promise' itself?

OK, The promise is the amount, I see what you mean, but would the 'amount' actually be a better answer? I'm sorta rephrasing what frigid's questioning I guess. I hope I make sense. lol
No, trust me, the promise to pay is the consideration. This is a problem A LOT of contract law students face, don't worry.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
In honour of Sir Edward McTiernan I will simply say 'I concur' with Moonlight.
Didn't McTiernan trip and break his hip (leading to retirement) chasing after a cricket?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)