Arghhhh I can't decide, BscIT or Bbusiness/BscIT? (1 Viewer)

Beege

HSC
I still cannot make up my mind on what I want to do. I've always thought having a business degree would be handy but I'm not so sure. I'm not sure if I should just do the single BscIT or combined degree. I'm worried that I won't find the business side of things interesting but it would be good to know. Marketing is the only major i'm interested in business but I'm worried if it would be worthless. Could someone help me decide please, it would be greatly appreciated.

Kebabci Oglu

Professional member
HSC
i didnt like the business stuff when i was doing IT. But its a great way to gain some good marks through it. Also did u like business studies at school?

Beege

HSC
Kinda, I got great marks in the subject and the marketing topic appealed the most to me. Is uni business more interesting?

Kebabci Oglu

Professional member
HSC
Interesting to some, but not me. Somethings i learnt in management for example were really useless and obvious hence never interested me. ALso there is a whole lot of crap to read.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
If only marketing interests you- you will not enjoy the first two years of uni in BBus/BScIT. Remember the core subjects of the BBus side include subjects such as- accounting, economics, management, finance, business statistics and business law.

From reading your posts in the FIT threads and your interest in working in the IT industry in the future, I'd recommend the BScIT with the DipITProfPrac.

Beege

HSC
I'm thinking of just trying out the combined degree to see if I like it then I might drop down to the single degree if I feel like it. Is it easy to do so?

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Actually it is easier to do BScIT first and then transfer to BBusiness/BScIT than doing BBusiness/BScIT and deciding that Business is not your thing and dropping Business altogether.
If you were doing BBusiness/BScIT for a semester, and then transferred back to BScIT, you would lose your 12cps of Business and only have 12cps carried to BScIT. If you were doing BScIT for a semester, and the transferred to BBusiness/BScIT, all of your IT credits (24) would be transferred to BBusiness/BScIT.

Let me know if you understand that or not.

Beege

HSC
I kinda understand what you said. So your saying if I did the bscIT for a semester, I would do only business subjects for the second semester? or 2 business and 2 IT subjects?

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Case One: Offered BBusiness/BScIT:

Autumn semester:
31265 Communication for IT Professionals 6cp
31266 Introduction to Information Systems 6cp
22107 Accounting for Business 6cp
21129 Managing People and Organisations 6cp

Decided you didn't like Business at all after this semester. Transfer to BScIT:

You would be credited for:
... and would lose your credits for:

Case Two: Offered BScIT:

Autumn semester
31267 Programming Fundamentals 6cp
31268 Web Systems 6cp

Decided you wanted to pick up Business after this semester. Transfer to BBus/BScIT:

You would be credited for:
31267 Programming Fundamentals 6cp
31268 Web Systems 6cp

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Beege said:
I kinda understand what you said. So your saying if I did the bscIT for a semester, I would do only business subjects for the second semester? or 2 business and 2 IT subjects?
There is something in the system that stops people from doing 24cps of business in one semester (not sure if it will stop you, as you have a reason).

What I did was to do 18cps of business and 6cps of IT for 2 semesters.

Beege

HSC
ohhhh so if i dropped down from the bbusiness/bscIT, I would have to spend longer at uni cauz of the credit points issue?

Last edited:

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Yes- you would effectively have to do 2 more subjects to complete your degree.

Unless you chose a submajor of Business Accounting: http://handbook.uts.edu.au/directory/smj08157.html, in which you would be credited for:
but still not be credited for:

= Still 1 more subject to complete your degree though.

Beege

HSC
Ok thank you so much mate, I know exactly what I want to do now which is good. I'll start off with BscIT and after a semester I will decide whether to pick up business or not. I'll make BscIT my first preference now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)