Argument in Ancient History. (1 Viewer)

hatty

Banned
How did you guys learn to bring this into ur essays? This is my ultimate trouble and it is really annoying.

btw
Which books and resources etc, did you find most useful whilst studying this subject?

thanks alot

EmmaKate

Ancient History Sources

The best advice in relation to the study of Ancient History - Don't believe anything and question everything. To bring up argument in an essay - bring in the issue and then present the different viewpoints given by an historian eg.
Thucydides and Herodotus.
You are supposed to draw your own conclusion based on the sources and also talk about the usefullness blah blah blah of them.
As for references - I go around and I read everything
I read stuff off the net, things in books, syllabus, text books. read around your topics- because that way you get exposed to all the things you need to know and all the things you dont, but can at some stage, bring into an essay.

Cheers

sugared plum

HSC
what topics are you doing, hatty?

for resources university libraries are often your best bet because they're a 'one stop shop'. you can get a card at fisher library [on the univeristy of sydney campus] which costs about $50 for 6 months. i did that and found it VERY useful.

if you have money to spend, abbey's bookshop which is just opposite the QBB is REALLY good for history, and gleebooks on glebe pt rd is nice too.

when you look for books, check your text book bibloigraphy first - that will usually identify all the major historians. and obviously, being familiar with these historians will help you write better essays - the markers feel nice when they know the historian you're talking about, and these 'big name' historians slag each other off lots, and if you can understand the concepts they debate and write about them, then you'll be set.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)