Army Reserves (1 Viewer)

turtleface

HSC
Is anyone here currently in the Army Reserves?

I plan to join but not sure about some things like the frequency of the basic training sessions at ARTC (i.e. do they run every month, every two months, every year etc.)

Its hard to also get information about the exact requirements regarding being placed on duty/shipped off to Iraq etc.

Additionally who do we contact first, the hotline or our university regiment (if that is who we will be assigned to, I'm not sure)

Does anyone know anything re: this?

synthesized

HSC
N/A
i've been thinking of joining too and i asked somebody in the reserves and somebody in the enquiries office some of the same q's, so i'm pretty sure these are the right answers

the frequency of the basic training sessions at ARTC: i was told that they run twice a year, one in winter and one in summer. if you are asking how often do you need to undertake training, then i was told that all reserves need to go through the same 1 month training course which can also been taken in 2x 2 week sessions at different points in the year. then, depending on which branch you join you may need to do additional training, for example if you join the infantry you will need to do an additional 1 month of infantry training. after this, i believe you do 1x 2 week training course once a year. but again, it could be more depending on which branch you are in.

the exact requirements regarding being placed on duty/shipped off to Iraq: somebody in the reserves said that as a part time reservist you cannot be forced to serve overseas. you are only required to serve within australian borders. so no, you won't be placed on duty overseas.

Additionally who do we contact first, the hotline or our university regiment: i'm not sure about this, what is a university regiment? i am pretty sure you just find out where the recruiting office is and get some application forms to fill in then submit it. have no idea what happens after that though.

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC
University Regiments are offshoots of RMC, in the RMC-A formation. They provide part-time training for Staff Cadets (ie, to-be Officers). Call 13 19 01 to about anything related to recruitment.

And with reservist call-out, they "technically" could call you to serve overseas...but I don't believe that's ever happened in recent times.

Don't know much about Kapooka though, sorry!

Riddles

4th Gen. Ford Supporter
good question! u can ask me that if we get there
HSC
Been in for 13 months now.
Intakes to ARTC are generally every week on fridays now, unless they have changed it since i went through. In the Army Reserves u will only be sent overseas for 2 reasons:
1. u apply to go over seas
2. they desperately need soldiers over seas, which rarely happens.

any more question regarding army reserves?

bluebiro

HSC
kapooka is only a 4 week course now. not very long. and they run all the time.

as for being deployed. you have to apply and there is vigourous testing and selection criteria. etc etc. you wont just get called up.

Call 131901= first starting point. go from there

PS-join. its good shit

synthesized

HSC
N/A
bluebiro said:
and also go infantry. dont be a soft cock

INFANTRY!!!
can you give me a list of the weapons you get to use if you're infantry? also do they teach you hand to hand combat? how do i get to be the guy who carries the SAW?

also, if i can only meet the bare minimum fitness requirements and not really much more, will they be likelely to assign me to a job that doesnt require much fitness, like an electrician or something? or is their bare minimum fitness requirments (17 pushups, run 5km or something like that) actually good enough for the infantry?

bluebiro

HSC
Not going to tell you what weapons we use or what we do. You could probably look that up on wikipedia anyways. SAW?? Section assault weapon? (Mag 58?) Never heard of that b4 in my life.SAW that is.

Fitness is important but as long as you can pass the PFA you should be right. it will be hard work getting you fitness up but thats the whole point isnt it?

PFA= 15 push ups, 45 sit ups, 7.5 beep test
BFA (once fully qualled) = 50 push ups, ? sit ups i just do 100 for the sake of it, 2.4km run 10.48 mins. pretty easy run.
BFA depends on your age though but dont worry about it you will get up to those standards. and i think it doesn't matter which core you are they are the same fitness standards.

synthesized

HSC
N/A
bluebiro said:
Not going to tell you what weapons we use or what we do. You could probably look that up on wikipedia anyways. SAW?? Section assault weapon? (Mag 58?) Never heard of that b4 in my life.SAW that is.
i only wanted to know if, as reserves, you only get to use the same rifle over and over (F88) or do you get some training on other weapons as well, for example do you get shown how to use grenade launchers, AT launchers, heavy machine guns, and all that? do you get shown how to drive vehicles like APCs?

and SAW = squad assault weapon = M249. i thought each squad had one guy who carried a M249?

turtleface

HSC
thanks for replies everyone

lol SAW m249 I only know that from playing counterstrike
Thats that huge machine gun isn't it? Of course its not very funny in real life.

Its pretty cool how the training sessions are held often, this will help to get in the training session during the 5 week or so winter holiday.

and also go infantry. dont be a soft cock

INFANTRY!!!
lol I was hoping to get into RAAPC (pay corps) as a Finance clerk, or maybe an accountant in a few years once I qualify.

lol damn i'm a soft cock.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
i dont know why you guys join the reserve only for the guns and crap, it should be about pride and experience, and you'd be mad if you think you'd ever get to shoot anyone with live ammo.

i applied for an admin role in the reserve, anyone knows anything about that? like the pay? the working conditions? training? tah

Riddles

4th Gen. Ford Supporter
HSC
if u go infantry, u get trained how 2 use all the basic infantry weapons. fitness is a must if u want 2 join the infantry. i have 2 change corp now cos i screwed my ankle doing a 12km pack march. so if u wanna join da infantry, get fit n stay fit. only apply for the infantry if ur a bloke n think u can handle the physical and mental demands as well

Riddles

4th Gen. Ford Supporter
HSC
synthesized said:
SAW = squad assault weapon = M249. i thought each squad had one guy who carried a M249?
no. we dont hav squads in the australian army, only sections. 2 LSWs per section, the rest F88, unless theyve said we can now carry a mag58 in each section, but its normally a platoon level weapon.

-Shinobi-

HSC
Hey Im kinda interested in the Reserves.
Can you quit after the the training id you decide you don't want to be in the reserves anymore?
I wanna know what it's like in the reserves but I'm not sure I'll want to join up

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC
No.

You have to sign a contract before going to ARTC.

I believe the "SAW" / "M249" is called the F89 Minimi here ;)

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
YES YOU CAN

the reserve is a part-time voluntary thing, they cannot force you to do anything. in fact, you can even quit whilst you are at training.

only full time you'll need to sign a cotract.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)