• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgghhhhhhhh Help!!!! (1 Viewer)

fantasy

Why is it that every site that has to do with HSC stuff, has absolutely NOTHING on Engineering Studies...

I know only a handful of people do this subject but it is really starting to get on my nerves... I have 5.. YES 5 text books on the subject and not one of them is a definite guide on the course..

Any help with links.. and so forth would be greatly appreciated.

CAN ANYBODY HELP ME?? :rolleyes:

ohh well its worth a try... :p

fornar

HSC
hey l'm doing engineering studies.

You have 5 text books?? Like to know the other ones u have?

When i started the course we bought a text book off the school for $11 which was called Engineering studies (A students workbook) By John Rochford. It was for the 2000 syllabus. Might be updated now.

It has all the core topics and we have justed worked thru them each haveing questions at the end, plus l've been given a few extra sheets on different areas.

I have also bought the book Engineering Studies (Typical HSC Questions and soluntions) By John Rochford
It just has extra questions for each topic. With worked solns which is a great help

fantasy

I have johnny's book and it really isnt a distinctive guide for the whole course.... i have 1st year uni books by schlenker and i also have the typical exam questions by johnny as well...

but still not enough!

T

timbk2

anyone got notes for engineering studies??
u can send them in and we'll put them on the site. and hopefully, more people will do the same.

Gubble

at me skool for engineering we use the textbook by Paul L.Copeland called "Engineering Studies - The Definitive Guide" and its pretty good....pretty much covers the whole course

fantasy

Originally posted by Gubble
at me skool for engineering we use the textbook by Paul L.Copeland called "Engineering Studies - The Definitive Guide" and its pretty good....pretty much covers the whole course
very breifly

-=AETOS=-

I dropped engineering after yr 11 for a few reasons. 1) The teacher didn't have a clue about what he was doing. Just copying the notes the head DT teacher wrote for the course. 2) It was so boring and so much work for a subject that is just going 2 get scaled down.

fantasy

Originally posted by -=AETOS=-
I dropped engineering after yr 11 for a few reasons. 1) The teacher didn't have a clue about what he was doing. Just copying the notes the head DT teacher wrote for the course. 2) It was so boring and so much work for a subject that is just going 2 get scaled down.
ummm buddy engineering will be one of the higher scaled subjects this year due to the change in marking criteria.

The only reason why it was not impressive last year is because NO ONE got band 6. Same goes for Standard English...

Gubble

Originally posted by fantasy

very breifly
yeh i guess....but hey.....it gets the job done.....yeh engineering can get very boring at times......especially when its about materials and crystal structures and stuff

fantasy

Originally posted by Gubble

yeh i guess....but hey.....it gets the job done.....yeh engineering can get very boring at times......especially when its about materials and crystal structures and stuff
it turns me on personally...... jk :rolleyes:

manly girl

we also use the definitive guide.

Scaled up? Really? Thats very good news.
It that because they added all the English to the syllabus now?

Its funny, we have English Teachers coming into our chem and engineering classes to give lessons on exam prep.

eagle4

HSC
N/A
The Definitive guide

the book titled 'Engineering Studies The Definitive guide' has everything on the course, its the only book i have, it'd be good if i had more books, but this is good enough.

there are errors in this book though. i would like to make them public.

page 61. the the bottom drawing when folded up to make the 3d shape its meant to, it dosent.

page 159. it says the "first operational jet fighter is the Gloster Meteor hving its first flight on 5th March 1943"
this isnt true. the first jet fighter was the Gloster E.28/39 which first flew on May 15, 1941

i'm sure all text books have errors, maby i have mised a few from this book, cause i dont study these books that closely.

Cya

eagle4

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
ummm buddy engineering will be one of the higher scaled subjects this year due to the change in marking criteria.

The only reason why it was not impressive last year is because NO ONE got band 6. Same goes for Standard English...
No offense, but that's a load of crap.

Scaling has nothing to do with marking criteria nor the percentage of students achieving in the highest band. It is, and always has been, completely determined by how the students in a particular course perform over all their courses, once marks have been standardised.

Engineering Studies has had approximately the same scaling for the past three years (which happens to be slightly above average, by the way). It seems unlikely that it will change now.

fantasy

Originally posted by Lazarus

Engineering Studies has had approximately the same scaling for the past three years
Thats why the course has only been running for two years :rolleyes:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Engineering Studies is equivalent to the old Engineering Science course.

fantasy

it has replaced that course...

the new course was developed by the board of studies with help from universities to basically give a head start to students whishing to persue an engineering subject at uni...

The course does not go as indepth as it did in engineering science but it now includes social and ethical consequences and stuff like that....

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Put it this way -

The type of student who would have selected the old Engineering Science course is about the same as the type of student who would choose the new Engineering Studies course. Because of this, it has had much the same level of scaling.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
...you're no longer deluding yourself? :p

Sorry - I suppose you're right.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
A whopping 0.75% of the candidature performed at band 6 level.

That's almost eleven people!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)