Art 2007~ I don't know where to start! (1 Viewer)

jazzmuzik

HSC
I have just started my year 12 art course this week and for the past couple of months i've been jotting down major work ideas..I've also been looking through the art express catalogues and i suddenly feel lost. My ideas are more about what the artwork would look like and then what it represents. I know this isnt the best approach as most of the artworks i've looked at are concerned with the meaning and then develop an artwork around that.
I'm now prepared to take a completely different approach to gathering ideas (making incorporating the visual ideas i already had later..).. anyone have any ideas or thoughts on how to get started or inspired? what did you do?

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
jazzmuzik said:
I have just started my year 12 art course this week and for the past couple of months i've been jotting down major work ideas..I've also been looking through the art express catalogues and i suddenly feel lost. My ideas are more about what the artwork would look like and then what it represents. I know this isnt the best approach as most of the artworks i've looked at are concerned with the meaning and then develop an artwork around that.
I'm now prepared to take a completely different approach to gathering ideas (making incorporating the visual ideas i already had later..).. anyone have any ideas or thoughts on how to get started or inspired? what did you do?
I have an information package for the Body of work I can send you.
It's like 70pgs of information and just what you need
Just PM me your details and stuff :)

The Cruel Sea

HSC
'I cannot forbear to mention among these precepts a new device for study which, although it may seem but trivial and almost ludicrous, is nevertheless extremely useful in arousing the mind to various inventions. And that is, when you look at a wall spotted with stains, or with a mixture of stones, if you have to devise some scene you may discover a resemblance to various landscapes, beautiful with mountains, rivers, rocks, trees, plains . . .' - Leonardo DaVinci

Experimentation will spawn a plethora of, otherwise inperceivable, juxtapositions from the consequence of chance. Don't concern yourself so much with conceptual musings in these infant stages, they are just as much subject to transformation as the technical/practical birthing of the work itself.

'Automatic writing' al la Breton's surrealism
Dali's 'Paranoiac-critical theory'
Collage
Decalcomania
or
Sense paralysis via Legal Studies if you were as foolish enough as I, to have subscribed to such a subject

Disregard ArtExpress for now, it will show you nothing new.

Last edited:

cbadvanced

Air Wick
HSC
here's a tip: finish ure entire major work before school even starts next year and then you'll be able to bludge for entire year for 1 unit of body of work ;)

then u'll get 50/50 for all ure progress marks
and of course u can refine it during the year for ure own enjoyment

biggie walls

HSC
Yeah just experiment with whatever media you want to work with at first, try new things and get comfortable with what your doing. Then brainstorm conceptual ideas WITH A PENCIL IN HAND - draw and write things all over a page, listen to music and collect song lyrics, copys of contemporary art that u admire, write about movies or books you have seen, get newspaper story's etc. about world affairs your intrested in, read up on some philosophy whatever... just dont sit there and think its gonna hit you like a bolt of lightning. Your art should be a reflection of your world and the way you exist within it..

hazaar

Greenie
HSC
Whatever the idea is that you have now....RUN WITH IT! Your BOW/ideas will change innumerably over the course of the year, so don't try and get it right first go.
EXPERIMENT to the max! (haha that sounds relaly lame) But do!
In my class we had a competition going where we would try and have the VAPD with the least amount of balnk pages. We would be constantly drawing, sticking pics, painting, doing whatever in our books. Because your VAPD is all you have during the early stages, just fill it with lots of STUFF!! It's great fun! There are no boundaries so try out heaps of different media!

This is just my advice but DON'T THINK OF MEANING BEFORE YOU DECIDE ON THE AESTHETICS OF YOUR WORK! Basically it's gotta look good and interesting, so that is where you should be putting your energy.

For my BOW this year i got 50/50 for assessment/Trial without having any wanky ideas/explanations for what i did!

Have fun, express yourself!!
GOOD LUCK!!

HSC
N/A
hazaar said:
In my class we had a competition going where we would try and have the VAPD with the least amount of balnk pages.
In my class, they seemed to have a competition going where they would try and have the VAPD with the most amount of blank pages. Go figure! :bomb:

black_tongue

HSC
don't stress! i had no idea what i was doing the whole year. i ended up starting my work 2 weeks before it was due for internal marking, and i ended up with 44/50 and ranked 2nd in my class.

The Cruel Sea

HSC
Ohh! such blissful rapture to behold the naive boastings of this self acclaimed virtuoso...

class of 2007 DO NOT relegate the production of a body of work to the chance encounter of an idea and the oppurtune moment two weeks prior to submission... In all honesty none of you can afford to waste time, ideally you should be well into experimentation now. Don't fret about the absence of a concept yet, it will form from experiments. For me acting on intuition and spontaneity helped me to discover a concept from the shear chance of an idea manifest in some absurb undertakings of mine. Act now, calculate after, and then produce the final work.

Apart from this, the body of work should be seen as an oppurtunity to indulgence in one's own practice, it is one of the most personal pursuits offered by the HSC, i believe. Don't see it simply as an activity bound to a rubric. However, i am by no means saying disregard the syllabus and the rubric.

noodan

HSC
i agree.. do not leave your work to chance.. leaving it to the last minute is a really bad idea... a good friend of mine who is really talented but very lazy only did her work 2 and half weeks before it was due. she was lucky that her final product turned out well and she got 42/50 for her final assessment... but for all her other assessment she got an average of about 15/50 i think... because she had nothing to show. so although you may come up with the goods at the end... the other assessments will drag you down really bad.

as for where to start.. document everything.. look at things you're passionate about.. or that you enjoy.. don't worry if you keep changing ideas.. i went through about 9 totally different ideas.. from a work about pollution to obesity to the female form... and then i finally ended up doing a work on cockroaches. just try to enjoy what you do. just make sure by like the end of term 1 at the latest, you have got an idea and just stick with it... also look at artist that influence you.

anyway.. good luck ^_^

edit: i also thought... make sure you talk to your teachers heaps. i tried to talk to all of the 5 art teachers at my school.. to get different opinions. your teachers know what works and what doesn't... and they will steer you away from any clichés..

also.. try and see as many exhibitions as you can.. (this will help with theory too.) you can look at artworks in books and on the net.. but there is nothing actually seeing a work.. especially if it is large. you may also find techniques from artists that you like.. that can influence your work...

as for looking at past art express works.. they will only show you what has been done, and there for.. what not to do.

and try to stay away from "death".. thats just what i have been told... its overdone.

good luck

Last edited:

Hermzie

rarrrrrrrrr
HSC
While lots of students do have a very strong focus on the concept and what their artworks represent, you have to keep in mind that the concept counts for half of the major work only. No matter how clever your idea is, if the artwork itself doesn't show technical skill or sensitivity towards the use and manipulation of materials yadi yadi ya, then it will be hard to do well. It's good to have an idea before hand as a starting point, but if you find that your ideas tend to come during the process of creation then that's ok too.

Many students in my class wasted two terms thinking of concepts without actually creating any art, and they ended up rushing their majorworks in the last few weeks/days. Your idea doesn't have to be some profound philosophical statement about the way the world is ending; it doesn't have to be complicated or confusing, it just has to be strong.

My point is take whatever approach you feel most comfortable with and just make sure that by the time you submit it, your work has a strong concept that is evident in the body of work, and it also has technical and aesthetic strength. Oh, and start early - it makes life sooo much easier.

tecia

HSC
um...some advice 4 u....

iv finished my major work and all i can say it start as soon as u can

think of any concept, and remember to paint/wateva u do, wat u like.

eg, i like painting the human figure so thats wat i started with

ur concept will evolve from there... some art teachers wont let u start painting until u have ur concept fully thought out... stuff em.... bring in a canvas a start painting

i didnt end up using my first 3 canvases, and im glad... they were crap... after uv done a couple u become really confident with ur medium, and thats when u start getting good

it also becomes alot easier and quicker... eg. i did my last and final canvas in a 2 days

good luck to u... and remember dont leave it to the last minute... there were alot of student in my class who left it till 3 weeks b4 and didnt produce there best... but u can really see the potential of the artworks

i used to go into the art room during lunch times (occassionly) and sometimes i could produce a finished canvas in about 1 week... i ended up having about 10 canvases to choose from, and i only chose 6. but they got nominated

ps... this is jishdafish logged in 4 tecia, because i lost my password

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)