Art Express '06 - Your thoughts? (1 Viewer)

ElGronko

Not premium
HSC
I went to AGNSW the other night for opening night and the standard is really so high.

Man, looking at the works, some people are so clever.

There are a few that are hilarious notably 'monogamy' and a ery well put together work 'postmodern girl'.

The curation is also great this year, with one persons work being scattered throughout the exhibit, and the transition between different artworks by totally different people is subtle and fluid. It feels so natural to move around the 3 rooms.

As yet, i have only seen 2 of the videos (I wanted to get back to the open bar before it closed) so I will endeavour to go back, possibly today, to see the rest, and also see the works when it's not so crowded.

My other personal favorites included a stencil work in the furthest room, a black and white photographic work, which was so great to see in today's world of digital photography and a couple of others that more so dealt with the process of art creation.

I may post more after my second visit to AGNSW and also on second visit to DJs as my first was rather rushed.

Gummy_bear

HSC
Im planning to go as soon as i can find the time, so ill be telling you all what i think of it :)

maxibon88

HSC
Yes fantastic, i really like the film "beautiful" some very fresh stuff. I really liked pretty much the whole exhibition, some really good stuff at agnsw.

ahmi

HSC
Agree that the artworks are really good this year, but the opening night was too crowed to actually view the artwork, so I'm gonna go to have a better look again later. I love the photography work 'Entrophy', and there this other film that I really love but I forgot the name, sorry....it has some shots of a girl underwater, it's just so amazing.

My flash animation got in, except they reproduced it, and there are all these motions not showing. There should be people dancing, fighting, running etc.etc. instead of still images. It's also supposed to hv movie clips of a shadow of a ballerina dancing in the background. It looks so not like 'my arwork'......

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
It was a girl from my school who did postmodern girl!
Her names Rochelle Coxon and she got like a UAI of 98
Two other blokes also got their works in.

kitty_purrswell

Butter your own muffin
HSC
ahmi said:
Agree that the artworks are really good this year, but the opening night was too crowed to actually view the artwork, so I'm gonna go to have a better look again later. I love the photography work 'Entrophy', and there this other film that I really love but I forgot the name, sorry....it has some shots of a girl underwater, it's just so amazing.
One of my good friends did 'Entrophy' from Wyndham College. My other bestie is headlining the exhibition at Olympic Park. He was also from Wyndham. Keep an eye out for his work (also the title of the Exhibition) 'Fairytale Endings'.

Shazzeh

HSC
i saw it on friday. at the moment i don't think i'm good enough for my body of works.. all the ones that got into art express are at such high standards and i know that i would never get in there.

but all the arts works were so well done. my favourites were the film 'beautiful' and the one that spoke about homosexuality(i don't remember the name.. sorry).

penciltron

HSC
i think you guys should also go 2 the hazelhurst one, its mostly painting/drawing so its a completely different exhibition. I liked it way better than the others because i prefer traditional art to super conceptual/ contemporary stuff that i dont understand well. theres some cool sculptures and photography too.

echo

stop making sense
HSC
AGNSW ArtExpress Online

Well lucky for those unable to go to the actual Artexpress exhibition at the AGNSW, here is an online virtual tour from the Inside Artexpress website.

I agree in that the standard was quite high this year, with a lot more 3D works included compared to previous years.

Egronk, I noticed on opening night a few from your entourage were rearranging your work, lol, I thought they would be bigger than they are, but are amazing all the same. My largest sculpture was hung upside down, and as a result I was lucky enough to talk to Tristan Sharp for a few good minutes about the exhibition - I love it how he becomes so immersed in all the works and visualises them in the exhibition space.

Overall, a good exhibition. :uhhuh:

nwatts

HSC
Re: AGNSW ArtExpress Online

I was a bit pissed that I didn't get in, but I'm planning on going some time in the future. I really want to go to the MCA, so I'll have to take some friends and go gallery hopping.

Armic

HSC
Best year so far, though I have only seen 3 or was it 4...

I was really surprised to see a artwork from my school there. I saw it months before and I thought it wasn't going to make it. It was the one from Knoxby Riley Field, the iron cut outs of figures that reflected in water which was called 'Shadowed Silhouettes'. Everyone in my school does photography... and I mean everyone....

Anyways, I thought some were incredibly good. Especially the skyscaper one, the photography and digital art skill was amazing. And then there were some which I didn't think much of, the alice in wonderland one, which wasn't that bad.

I really can't remember much about the artworks, mainly just the movies. I forgot what it was called but the one with the cut out of a guy in a car driving down the art highway, passing through impressionism, surrealism and futurism. It was my favourite, though I still have the background music in my head...

In all, a very good year. It will be hard to beat.

Last edited:

smb69

HSC
Well, it looks like im going to be the odd one out lol i've had a look at the works on the website and personally they are all quite conceptually strong but i found that many were not very visually appealing. Our school had 6 works set aside for art express and none were put in, we were all dissapointed that our year 12's missed out. The works in there this year seem to be very proper, i dont think they have gone for big bold and expressive. Im going again tomorrow so i can have another look.

penciltron

HSC
i wish i got into AGNSW....because you get sooo much exposure there, like most ppl who know about art and do art i speak to didnt even know the hazelhurst gallery existed..like i went down to agnsw on a wed arvo and there was heaps of people there. ah :) if only i got in there..i just wish that the other galleries would get equal exposure/ advertisement! ha :D
oh well. :p

cbadvanced

Air Wick
HSC
luscious-llama said:
It was a girl from my school who did postmodern girl!
Her names Rochelle Coxon and she got like a UAI of 98
Two other blokes also got their works in.
wtf where can I see this "postmodern girl", I must see the standards!!!! >_<

cbadvanced

Air Wick
HSC

nwatts said:
I was a bit pissed that I didn't get in.
what good does getting into Art Express actually do????

does it appear on your resume or soemthing???

nwatts

HSC

cbadvanced said:
what good does getting into Art Express actually do????

does it appear on your resume or soemthing???
No, but it's commonly seen as a judge of quality. I scored well in the HSC and didn't even get nominated. Some students were more than ten marks below me and have their works hanging in artexpress.

Hermzie

rarrrrrrrrr
HSC

I went with my school today and was a bit disappointed that they didn't display many paintings on canvas in the AGNSW. There a lot of printmaking compared to previous years and most of that was quite nice, especially the one with the study of insects. I still like 2003's exhibition more. Way too much postmodern stuff this year:\

Sweet_Karma

[Sweet_Karma]
HSC
penciltron said:
i wish i got into AGNSW....because you get sooo much exposure there, like most ppl who know about art and do art i speak to didnt even know the hazelhurst gallery existed..like i went down to agnsw on a wed arvo and there was heaps of people there. ah :) if only i got in there..i just wish that the other galleries would get equal exposure/ advertisement! ha :D
oh well. :p

i absolutely love your work, i saw it at hazelhurst i could've just stared at it the whole time i was there, i would never have thought of anything like that, well wish me luck for this year lol, btw, at agnsw theres so many people you feel you can only get a glimpse of the artworks displayed and then move on but at hazelhurst, you can just stand there for a while looking at every detail and stuff, i think its better lol

echo

stop making sense
HSC

nwatts said:
I scored well in the HSC and didn't even get nominated. Some students were more than ten marks below me and have their works hanging in artexpress.

Theory and practical, they're two different things. Just because your good academically, doesn't mean you should be rewarded with exrtra marks towards your prac work. How are the markers to know?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)