ART express 06 (1 Viewer)

MushROOM HeaD

HSC
:D hey guys

went to see tha art express this year .. and in comparison to other years i felt totally ripped off .. i mean usuallly they really make my jaw drop .. i guess i was hoping for higher standards .. some were quite good but overall i felt that i dunno .. it just didn't do it for me .. what da ya guys reckon? liked it or hated it?

roro

HSC
ah yes..art express... i was dissapointed as well. there were lots of great ideas but i felt as though they were averagely-executed.

Last edited:

dfAreNt

HSC
MushROOM HeaD said:

went to see tha art express this year .. and in comparison to other years i felt totally ripped off .. i mean usuallly they really make my jaw drop .. i guess i was hoping for higher standards .. some were quite good but overall i felt that i dunno .. it just didn't do it for me .. what da ya guys reckon? liked it or hated it?
Agreed. This years art express was a downer. Greatly dissapointed this year. I guess that just means that it might be easier for us this year? :D

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
MushROOM HeaD said:

Not pleased with the quality of works.
Hated some.

There were 2 works I was extremely displeased with.
One stole photography from a prominant UK photographer from deviantART without her written expressed permission and poorly manipulated it.
It was shown in the AGNSW. It was the artwork that had a graffitied wall behind it and contained many interpretations of homosexuals and issues.
It was crap. Really poorly executed and probably only got in on its theme.

The other copied almost directly (not nearly enough appropriation) from an artist called Banksey. Even in the spray paint over stencil medium.

I have pictures I took of these two and i'm taking the case of stealing images to the BOS. Maybe it can be removed from artExpress.

Stupid Liars.

Aside from that, HSC Visual Art 2006 Cohort is goin to rock the casbah.

HinikuTheNinja

one helluva naughty ninja
HSC
Double wow. That homosexual one was actually kinda my favourite, because it kinda coincided with my idea. Sort of. ^^; Shows you how inexperienced with art I am.

One of the movies wasn't bad though - it was the one with the still photos strung together to make the movie, about hearts and love and stuff. Then again, that also goes along with my theme, so I guess I really am biased.

*hides*

biggie walls

HSC
Llama who are you to say that the stencil work displayed "not nearly enough appropriation"?

Are you so sure of yourself as an art critic/scholar that you know the exact reason the Banksey girl was appropriated by the artist?

Appropriation is the process of re-contextualising, to examine issues concerning originality or to reveal new meaning from the original...

It has nothing to do with the visual likelyness to the original - you can copy "word for word" or perhaps "dot for dot" in art, aslong as you change the CONTEXT! - so I dont know why you bothered mentioning he copied the "spray paint over stencil medium"?

Give up your sulking to the board of studies and move on...

ane_st

HSC
MushROOM HeaD said:

I went to the Armoury [or however you spell it] and they were REALLY REALLY good!! i enjoyed them more than the ones at the art gallery, which only had a couple good ones.

ane_st

HSC
luscious-llama said:
Hated some.

One stole photography from a prominant UK photographer from deviantART without her written expressed permission and poorly manipulated it.

my friend mentioned that one had been off deviantart... it wasnt that good... :confused:

joe1016

HSC
luscious-llama said:
Hated some.

It was shown in the AGNSW. It was the artwork that had a graffitied wall behind it and contained many interpretations of homosexuals and issues.

The other copied almost directly (not nearly enough appropriation) from an artist called Banksey. Even in the spray paint over stencil medium.

I have pictures I took of these two and i'm taking the case of stealing images to the BOS. Maybe it can be removed from artExpress.

Stupid Liars.

wow u really got involved in that eh. ur gonna take it to BOS???? thats a bit extreme isnt it?....i didnt like some of them, some were good. there were a few at the armory i liked. i thought the banksy one was a little contrived, but it still worked. there was one there that was basically photos about a guy cheating, or someting, but i could have sworn they just stole stills from a garbage film clip. and there was one that was like a big photo album on cardboard that...........for me............failed to show any artistic flair. i guess the concept was ok......

but there were a few cool ones, there was a series of charlie chaplin and a few more abstract painting i liked (at the armory) the AGNSW didnt impress me as much as other years, but i guess i have a style that i like to see. some were interesting. i cant wait to see which ones get in from 06 hsc!!!!

mydevouredworld

HSC
HinikuTheNinja said:
One of the movies wasn't bad though - it was the one with the still photos strung together to make the movie, about hearts and love and stuff. Then again, that also goes along with my theme, so I guess I really am biased.
I really liked that one too.

ane_st said:
I went to the Armoury [or however you spell it] and they were REALLY REALLY good!! i enjoyed them more than the ones at the art gallery, which only had a couple good ones.
I always seem to think that the works at the Armoury are better than at the AGNSW.

HSC
N/A
This might piss some of you guys off, but it's actually allowed to "copy" known artist's works for your major works. My teacher sat our class down last year and we flicked through the last 5 or so years worth of ARTEXPRESS catalogues and she pointed out that many students got away with replicating the works of artists such as Goldsworthy (installations) and even got full marks for them. In reality, is there really such a thing as a unique idea? We're all influenced by people/events/artworks and that is ultimately going to be reflected in the work you produce, covertly or otherwise.
Remember that you guys are all still humble students, not professional artists. The markers also keep that in mind, they don't expect any radical masterpieces, lol.

And I agree, Artexpress this year was shit, my work included.

nwatts

HSC
luscious-llama said:
Hated some.

Stupid Liars.

Bloated arrogance much?

Get over your own self. While there was some shite, they were picked for a reason and were considered by art critics, not hot headed HSC students, as the best of the cohort. You are far from an art critic of any capacity.

I am going to laugh my arse off when you post a ten page thread at the end of the year whining about how your work wasn't picked and how the BOS are a bunch of artless stooges and how you've fired off letters to everyone with eyes about this mortal outrage.

Last edited:

Gummy_bear

HSC
luscious-llama said:
Hated some.

Stupid Liars.

Oh dear, can you tell me who this dev artist is?

Nwatts, I dont think lama was trying to be rude, but really, if the images are being manipulated and they are someone elses work who has not given permission (famour artists withstanding) then there are legal issues, it may just be a HSC art course, but deviantart does have submission policies and copyright policies and really, if the artist wanted to, they could sue this HSCer.

I believe lama is just saying that this person who did the work didnt deserve to be in artexpress as they seem to have put little effort in, even though the final product may look like they did.

The examiners probibly thought that the students work was all unique, not manipulated from someone elses stuff, this has been done before and gotten away with it.

I dont think you can really call lama arrogant, but concerned and angrey that this person has gotten away with such a thing. Of course, they may have asked permission.

nwatts

HSC
Nope, she's flatly arrogant. She's going out of her way to stir shit up that has absolutely nothing to do with her; with the intention to remove it from ArtExpress? How petty. She assumes such an air of bloated pretention that I can't help laugh.

Within the confines of the HSC course you are allowed, and are often encouraged, to mimic/copy/appropriate other works as a show of technical skill rather than conceptual strength. I remember the 04 Artexpress featured an exact copy of Pollak's blue poles. So it obviously scored well, and was praised by artexpress curators.

HSC
N/A
Within the confines of the HSC course you are allowed, and are often encouraged, to mimic/copy/appropriate other works as a show of technical skill rather than conceptual strength. I remember the 04 Artexpress featured an exact copy of Pollak's blue poles. So it obviously scored well, and was praised by artexpress curators.
This is true 2006ers. I think some of you need to be more humble and remember that you are all still students, not established artists. And as students, the best way to learn is from viewing, copying and reading about known artists work and practice.
I'm sure if you asked your teachers they'll back this up.

Gummy_bear

HSC
Well, i know that you are allowed to "copy" other works, but I do see where lama is coming from, I mean, I can see how it is ok to "copy" or manipulate work from well known artists, but from someone off the internet, or a site such as deviantart who never thought they would be copied or whatever, i do think they would either be really flattered or really pissed.
I have an account on there, and if i knew that someone copied or manipulated my work for the HSc, i think i would be quite upset as it would seem that i did most of the conceptual work and they just...changed it to their liking.

Though, yeh, i do see how copying or whatever known artists works can be considered good for artexpress, i mean, some people make a living out of it.

but, the blue poles thing, it sort of feels that they wouldnt of really worked on a concept or anything, they just copied a well known work. Im not sure how i really feel about that. Its a bit of a touchy subject i think.
I do understand where you are coming from Nwatts, but you have to understand that lama feels very strongly about her view possibly because she may have expereinced ripping.

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
nwatts said:
Bloated arrogance much?

Get over your own self. While there was some shite, they were picked for a reason and were considered by art critics, not hot headed HSC students, as the best of the cohort. You are far from an art critic of any capacity.

I am going to laugh my arse off when you post a ten page thread at the end of the year whining about how your work wasn't picked and how the BOS are a bunch of artless stooges and how you've fired off letters to everyone with eyes about this mortal outrage.

You know what. Fuck off.
Simple as that, if you do not have something constructive to say, and since you have not seen this cheating as I have your opinion is pretty much useless

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
joe1016 said:
wow u really got involved in that eh. ur gonna take it to BOS???? thats a bit extreme isnt it?....i didnt like some of them, some were good. there were a few at the armory i liked. i thought the banksy one was a little contrived, but it still worked. there was one there that was basically photos about a guy cheating, or someting, but i could have sworn they just stole stills from a garbage film clip. and there was one that was like a big photo album on cardboard that...........for me............failed to show any artistic flair. i guess the concept was ok......

but there were a few cool ones, there was a series of charlie chaplin and a few more abstract painting i liked (at the armory) the AGNSW didnt impress me as much as other years, but i guess i have a style that i like to see. some were interesting. i cant wait to see which ones get in from 06 hsc!!!!
Mmmm i'm yet to see the rest, I think i've seen better cohorts, I really liked 2004, 2003, 2001, 1998.

biggie walls said:
Llama who are you to say that the stencil work displayed "not nearly enough appropriation"?

Are you so sure of yourself as an art critic/scholar that you know the exact reason the Banksey girl was appropriated by the artist?
It was a boy that appropriated Banksey

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)