Art Express 2007- Post your Thoughts (1 Viewer)

hazaar

Greenie
HSC
As the thread says....post your thoughts on the BOW's from the 2007 collection of Art Express.

whyjonathan

HSC
I really liked "Night Walker" (the frank miller type one) and "Subconscious Calculation" (typography in oils). Nightwalker was really, really clever, i thought. And Subconscious Calculation looked pretty. :p
I was writing notes on my hand, and obviously couldn't fit whatever the title of this work is, but it was by Aoife Milson. Does anyone have any idea what it was?

jessal

HSC
yeah that was great. you can look at her VAPD on insideartexpress.com.au
its there somewhere. very interesting.
another fav was 'journey into the infinite' or at least i think thats what it was called.
There was another work that was just beautiful. drawings on feathers and perspex..or glass? im unsure of what it was called .

overall i was pretty impressed with art express.

wallflower

HSC
Of course, many of the works were inescapably teenage. But that is to be expected. It seems like everyone who does some kind of Basquiat emulation gets into Art Express. The markers seem to like 'contentious' issues too. Immigration, migration, the Vomit generation. It just depends on how well you can pull it off. However opposed I am to "female body image, induced by the media" (spews - no pun intended) and "search for self-identity" (gouges eyes out) and other stereotypical adolescent themes, it's really obvious how much WORK went into the showcased pieces. I appreciate process.

I saw the exhibitions at COFA and the NGA. The curatorial theme at COFA was something along the lines of "works which challenge or question society / art." There were a few pieces there I really liked. Going by my bad memory, there was one about an Asian nerd (not kidding!) It was a collection of photographs with text, so it kind of ran like a comic book. The scenes involved the 'Asian nerd' playing spin the bottle with covers of TIME magazine and having lunch with portraits of Chinese leaders. I liked it because it was obvious that the artist who made it didn't just do so with the markers in mind. If you can have fun AND get good marks, that's just ace.

At NGA my stand-out favourite was Aoifie Milson's piece, 'Then my mother replied: What does it mean?'. It was, in my opinion, the best example of a well-rounded Body of Work that I have ever seen in Art Express. I kind of wanna be best friends with her art. She embraced her eccentricity and it paid off. Try and see it in real life. It will probably blow your brains out of your skull. In a good way.

I also liked the film Rabbit and Me, very beautiful cinematography. The sculpture 'Birds of a Feather' had a lovely narrative feel to it and was conceptually strong too. Also, the statement of intent was unassuming, which was refreshing. Markers must get sick of buzz words and name-dropping.

Last edited:

steelbath

HSC
I totally agree. I thought the whole A.E2007 was a piece of crap. What happened to realism? Why arent realistic paintings and drawings getting in?
I personally think that a good life like drawing is better than vomiting paint onto a canvas and saying, well, im exploring RACISM here, my family has been abused since the 1400's.
Shut up, I mean, wow, cry more. I dont know whats gotten into the judges, but, I dont care, Im doing REALISTIC drawings etc for mine, and I dont care whether it will get into A.E2008 because they markers have no taste whatsoever.
I hope they read this.
And finally, I HATE MODERNISM.
Thanks for listening. LOL

loz05

HSC
I don't think you can say it was crap, i mean its all subjective and whatever but yeah i think the standard was way lower this yr than other yrs. wasn't very inspiring

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
wallflower said:
The curatorial theme at COFA was something along the lines of "works which challenge or question society / art."
Yeah... something like that, though I didn't intend mine to question ANYTHING....

I was stoked to get a mention by the Dean of UNSW though...

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
steelbath said:
I totally agree. I thought the whole A.E2007 was a piece of crap. What happened to realism? Why arent realistic paintings and drawings getting in?
I personally think that a good life like drawing is better than vomiting paint onto a canvas and saying, well, im exploring RACISM here, my family has been abused since the 1400's.
Shut up, I mean, wow, cry more. I dont know whats gotten into the judges, but, I dont care, Im doing REALISTIC drawings etc for mine, and I dont care whether it will get into A.E2008 because they markers have no taste whatsoever.
I hope they read this.
And finally, I HATE MODERNISM.
Thanks for listening. LOL

:( Mine's as realistic as you can get in the chosen digital medium.

GAH.

cbadvanced

Air Wick
HSC
omg i am so bored im actaully back on a BOS forum in the HSC section while it finsihed like half a year ago wtf!!!!!

o btw yeah i only went to the cofa art express opening night (all the other ones are like errr too far) and wasnt disappointed with the artworks standards but more disappointed that it was only like 1 room worth of works...

needed more...i finished looking at every work after like 20 mins lol
if u go to the right there are stairs...THAT LEAD TO NOWHERE thought there would be more works upstairs :(

is it worth going to the homebush one?

cbadvanced

Air Wick
HSC
vanush said:
Bitch. Fuck off and die. I'm sick of your pretentious crap.
fuck yea i agree ure fucking work is the most unrealistic fucking piece of fucking shit in the fucking world u fucking faaarrrrrrrk

Last edited:

vanush

kdslkf
HSC
VISUAL ARTS IS BULLSHIT. When you take the course, you have two choices

1) Do random shit. Find someone who's made something similar in the past, reference them and call your pale imitation, art.
2) Use pre-existing talents to make something without restrictions

As for you, fucking luscious_llama, I hate your artwork. It's fucking shit.

cbadvanced

Air Wick
HSC
vanush said:

1) Do random shit. Find someone who's made something similar in the past, reference them and call your pale imitation, art.

everyone knows how to Photoshop its not like youre the only one u fucking retard

"Owww I added a filter I MADE ART!!!!!!!"

the figure in the artwork's head is a bit too big for the body's proportion, hence unrealistic so its not the most realistic im sorry

ITS FUCKING SHIIIIIIIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

vanush

kdslkf
HSC
What did u do? Change the brightness and contrast? OHHHHHH WAT FUCKING GENIUS!! YOU LUSCIOUS LLAMA ARE A PRODIGY

jazzmuzik

HSC
I just went to A.E on Friday. Overall I thought it was pretty good. I definately found more favourites than 2006. Walking around the exhibition it was so busy so i didnt get a good chance to read into any of the works, but my favourites were...

A journey into the infinite (big scenes in paint and ball point pen) I thought this was great, a lot like the illustrations by Shaun Tan i thought. I just love this style

All the kings horses, (gothic dark pictures with pain and ink...chaos etc) once again just loved it visually

The figures with feathers and scratching... i thought these were simple and clever.

Bombay something.. the rice. Simple, bright, fun, just mad me smile which proved its purpose i guess.

The little tiny squares with things written/drawn on them. I really related to this work and i thoughts its execution was perfectly appropriate.

The animae cartoon. great talent, that cant be faked. :)

and many more for different reasons. Some i thought required too much additional explanation than should be necessary. ie i didnt think visually the message was that clear unless you read the little white card..

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
vanush said:

I love being pretentious and yes I have grounds for going against everything you're saying. Oh yeah. I win.

mel AWESOME

HSC
luscious-llama said:
I love being pretentious and yes I have grounds for going against everything you're saying. Oh yeah. I win.

i don't understand why they were being horrible. where can i see your work? I did digital also.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)