Art Express... (1 Viewer)

ElGronko

Not premium
HSC
I went to the AGNSW yesterday to check out their exhibit, and i was very impressed, you guys have outdone yourselves this year....

The movies were brilliant, special mention goes to the one that appropriates the ads and gives them the whole art twist thing, that was sick.

And for humour value, can't go past the "this is my day" flash animation, loved the poster in the maths room.

Favorite of the canvasses would have to be the one directly on the left wall when you go in, that starts in India and turns to australia. The artist really hit the nail on the head there, i mean, its perfect, like she "stomped the landing" so to speak, exicuted it brilliantly.

I was also a big fan of the one with the chick going around sydney with the anti war banner, and like, she was kinda cartoony style, tres bon indeed.

And the houses were cool, and, well, really, i liked everything. Congrates to everyone who participated.

Seeing Onstage tomorrow....that shall be good....

cuivienen

HSC
I'm going to see the exhibition this weekend. So I'm really excited! Thanks for the positive outlook ;)

Jase

HSC
my fav was the huge naked woman one.. i think it was called .. .. well i forget but it was awesome.

fi_babezy

Stealing is Looking
HSC
It was great!! I liked the little houses :) cute.

cuivienen

HSC
Jase, did your major work get into the exhibition? Yours was absolutely beautiful...

Jase

HSC
um yes, but my one's in the Hazelhurst gallery which is like near sutherland/cronulla.

there are some really insane ones that are all curiously done by girls. in fact, theres like 4 girls to every guy who made it in artex. whats up with that?

Hermzie

rarrrrrrrrr
HSC
I saw the exhibition yesterday and the videos are awesome! My favourite would definitely be the one with the artistic advertisements, it was hilarious.

Best canvas would have to be "Working title- Random" by Alexandra Williams. It had all the random quotes on it, it was really cool.

fi_babezy

Stealing is Looking
HSC
Yes it was hilarious- the mock a current affairs one with all the advertisements-

i had the music from one of the advertisements in my head for the rest of the day

cuivienen

HSC
um yes, but my one's in the Hazelhurst gallery which is like near sutherland/cronulla.

there are some really insane ones that are all curiously done by girls. in fact, theres like 4 girls to every guy who made it in artex. whats up with that?
Oh thank goodness! Your work really deserved to get into an exhibition ;)

I know, I just went to the exhibition today...Perhaps it has to do with the fact that a woman was curator this year *muses* If you noticed some of the works in the last room were gender related.

And some points about the exhibition...I was quite disappointed by one fact only...The themes of nearly all the works were very similar to last year's exhibition (Politics, War etc)...I was expecting to see a lot of obscure and complex works...I suppose the reason my work didn't get selected was because it was just too weird...Although it was nice to see some photography and digital media in the exhibiton this year...I was extremely impressed by the "Luna Park" work and the "Female Nude" painting. The highlights of the exhibition :)

*Dan-knee*

HSC
hello fellow artists

i must say, i was a little disappointed with the themes chosen for the works exhibited at AGNSW, but i loved the works in the DJ's window..they were happy artworks (just how i like it)

Insouciance

HSC
Overall, I thought it was amazingly professional. Both at DJs and at AGNSW. I'm so glad I took my camera, because so much of it was incredibly inspiring. Congrats to everyone who got their work into AE.

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
I didn't do art as an HSC subject but went to see ArtExpress yesterday and I must say that I was very impressed. I loved the one with about 80 pieces on the wall, I think it was in the second room. I also loved alot of the claywork, esp. the four vases when you first enter, the white ones. Also noticed the girl with the "No War" banner, and that "Call this freedom". The little houses were fantastic, as were the large canvas' with the naked woman... With the exception of one or two pieces, i thought it was brilliant! Well done 04 art students!

ElGronko

Not premium
HSC
I saw it again a couple of days ago, and, i know some of you overly Politically Correct people are gonna jump on my arse, but did anyone see the video that was a pllasticine animation of the history of aborigional people?

I thought that it was really patronizing to the maker, and to the aborigional population as a whole, that it was put in their.

I fully understand the shocking treatment that ATSI's have suffered at the hands of, well, my ancestors, and i am truelly sorry, and wish our prime minister would apologise, but the fact is, is that that video was crap.

It was poorly made, and the story line was highly childish and really demeans the whole issue.

I mean, the speach bubbles were horrible, as was the dialogue (totally un-necisary in my opinion). I mean, lines like "Looks like they're having fun" and the whole ending was like "Oh, so thats what happened..."....for me it was embarrising, and is doing nothing to bring our races closer together.

On top of that, the fact that it is included it gives other aborigional students the idea that:

1. They are different.

2. Even if they are interested in a different concept, they would realise (just like i would, if i were in their shoes) that they could scrap the concept and simply do some half arsed job about something about their ancestors past and be garanteed full marks because of our overly PC, racist system. Effectivly ruining someones artistic isspirations.

And please dont jump on my back about me being disgracful and racist, because i am neither, what i am trying to say is that this attitude is increasing the gap, rather than healing the wound.

Ahhh, i've had my rant.

VonDavis

(",) ..... *'\_/'*
HSC
I really enjoyed the art work about journeys at AGNSW it's on the wall to the left in the 2nd room .... It had like string joining pages from a book together and little paintings on torn out book pages ..... I really liked that piece

winicat

HSC
the travelling show is at Newcastle now so I went to see it. I liked the video with artworks, etc. in popular ads. It was talking about the academy and it's influence (or that was my feeling and it related so well to the lecture i had had that morning.

need2study_girl

HSC
I went to art express with my school and we went a seminar where 3 04' students talked about their artworks. Did anyone else go?? Both the guys that spoke were absolutly amazing, particularly the one whose art work was a peice of bark with all the technolgy-thingies attacched and the primative drawing. As he was speaking i was just like 'WOW! I could so never come up with something like that". He this he was speaking about were really insprational- I don't remember much of it but I remember being blown away at what he was saying. He Loved lines... If i had of seen his art work before the speech I would have completely looked over it but after hearing it, I saw it in a tatally different way. It was amazing!!!

yesgentlemen

Sexbox
HSC
Actually, I didn't find this years exhibition at the AGNSW very interesting at all. There were a few nice works, but I found a lot of it to be very pretentious or unimaginative. I feel like I'm seeing the same things over and over again but with a different name.
I had high hopes for some of the films/animation shorts but I didn't really like any of them. The only one that struck me was the parody of the advertisements.

I'm doing an animation work for my HSC major and I'm feeling a lot better after seeing what got in this year. I don't mean to sound pretentious myself, but didn't anyone else get the same feeling?

bolst

mmm im with you yesgentlemen bout the works....i was kinda disappointed to see what got in- spose i just expected more than what was there. IT WAS ALL THE SAME!!! alot of girls got in from my school for ceramics and even with those i didn't think that their concepts were anything out of the ordinary- although i know that they worked their arses off to make them and they do look pretty good.
i just hope that there's alot more range and inventiveness with artworks this year, with people not being afraid to do something different

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)