Art Theory @ UNSW (1 Viewer)

flip_flop

can't think straight.
HSC
Hey there, can anyone tell me more about the Art Theory Major at UNSW. I am really interested in art history and criticism, and would love to continue learning more at uni. HSC Visual Arts only teches more so much... lol... and i would love to focus on theory without the creative pressure of art making.

Do u find the course interesting?
Does it cover a wide range of movements, periods, etc. Or do u concentrate on ur own interests?
Wat is the basic setup of the course over the x amount of years?
Is it taught at Kinsington campus or COFA?

If there is anyone out there studying this, i would love some feedback!

Porcia

HSC
yeah im interested too! someone please reply!

HSC
N/A
Ahhhh I'd absolutely love to do Art Theory at CoFA - but I'm going to go for Art Education instead, as I want to teach initially. But yeah, I can imagine it would be an awesome course to do - especially combined with Social Sciences :cool:

I don't know if you've read this or not, but it's the handout CoFA gave out on the course on their open day. I'd assume it was taught at the CoFA campus at Paddington.... although I might be wrong. If anything I think it might be a half half type thing.

Also, you should request an information package here . It's great, I got stuff about 3 of their undergraduate programs sent to me (Fine Arts/Art Education/Art Theory).... you get this page outlining the course (that's what I've provided below) and also the program structure of the course. Just tell them you're interested in this course and would like some info on it.

Anyway, the info below is from an A4 page, but it was too large to upload so I had to split it into 3 parts.

The major studies for first year are -
Semester 1
-Mapping the Modern
-Theories of the Image
-Contexts for Art
-Open Electives

Semester 2
-Mapping the Postmodern
-Theories of Art History and Culture
-Contextual Studies
-Open Electives

Hope this all helps! :)

cankerblossome

HSC
Thanks etc, the units you mentioned sound interesting, but is there anyone who is actually doing the course?

I'm considering BA/BA Art Theory and would love to hear some first hand reports/reccommendations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)