• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

ARTS and arts in social inquiry (2 Viewers)

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
hi guys!

im wondering, why isnt UTS arts in any way similar to arts in any other uni :vcross: ???

uts gives arts in specific subjects, so u cant draw different arts subjects together in one degree.

anywayz, im thinking of combining law and social inquiry together. Anyone wanna comment?
it is said to be a comibnation of i think:
-research
-social theory/ (politics??)
-probably communications

and something like that, i think its also about social change....... yeah.
well..........

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
You can draw different arts subjects together in the one degree.... cultural studies, history/sociology, languages, media studies.... for your electives you can study whatever, stuff from other faculties and even other unis.

UTS's "arts" degrees are specialized "communications" degrees which equip students with the ability to study vocationally oriented subjects such as journalism and media arts alongside a broader education in humanities. They are really unique. If you aren't interested in studying a communications degree then UTS isn't really the best place for you to study arts.

Social inquiry is apparently quite interesting, but can be a bit airy fairy and doesn't really have a solid career outcome. However if you were studying it in conjunction with law it is apparently a very good combination. I would recommend going to the advisory day and speaking to the reps from the humanities faculty because they will be able to give you a better idea of the course content.

mr EaZy

HSC
hey thanks ash! so u actually get to choose the subjects u want in ur specialized uts arts degree?

i think social inquiry is a great degree to combine with law. however, since it doesnt open that many career pathwayz, i'm undecided if i should do that or business ...

Jinglebell

HSC
First year you do four compulsory subjects a semester, after that you get a combination of compulsory subjects, electives and 'choice blocks'...although if you combine with law the options are narrowed a little.

In terms of career pathways, i've come to the conclusion that social inquiry is at the same time limited and broad - while it seems really airy-fairy, once you actually realise what they're trying to teach you there's actually a few directions it can lead. It really depends on what you're interested in, I guess. We had some really inspiring guest lecturers from the social research field in secind semester, at which point there was a bit of a 'lightbulb moment' as to the whole point of the course...But from second year there's some great looking politically-themed subjects if that's more your thing. And if you throw law into the mix, then there's actually a lot of different options, it's just not as explicit as other courses, I think.

If there's one thing a year as a social inquiry student has taught me, though, it would have to be that university doesn't have to be all about career paths to be a great experience...I know everyone isn't as into learning for the sake of it as myself, but I just loved absorbing knowledge from all the intelligent people around me, even if it was nothing that will ever get me anywhere in the real world (contemporary cultures, anyone?):)

And there I will stop rambling, and add a disclaimer that I'm curently rather missing my uni life and may have slightly rose-tinted memories of it all:p

mr EaZy

HSC
o do please keep on rambling :) i found that v. resourseful :)
those compulsory subjects: do they include english? coz that would really hype me up for the large volume of reading required for law .

u've just confirmed to me at least, that social inquiry is a great degree. its not what u must do in uni to get somewhere, its more like doing a course to get to where u wanna go.

im interested in social research, communication and politics so i think this is right for me. i cant believe syd uni or the other unis dont have something like this. UTS rocks! :)

Jinglebell

HSC
Compulsory subjects are:
Semester 1 -
Communication and Information Environments
Contemporary Cultures 1
Power and Change in Australia
Intro to Social Inquiry (or professional strand subject for whatever comm. degree you do)

Semester 2 - (similar subjects, different names)
Media, Information and Society
Contemporary Cultures 2
Colonialism and Modernity
Theory and Method (or professional strand subject for whatever comm. degree you do)

HSC
Hey Mr Eazy - thanks to your post i'm now considering law and social enquiry as well. I didn't even look at the degree (got put off by the communications part - thought it was like media or something) until you mentioned it. Now I'm heaps interested in it, and thats probably gonna go above my other preference of Int Stds/Law...

But I've looked at the structure of the course, and would it be possible to do all law subjects in the first year, in case I wanted to transfer to a plain Arts/Law degree at UNSW? Like, would the social inquiry units be credited towards UNSW subjects? Cos I'm kinda interested in Political studies etc and abit of history, so yeah...or would it be easier to do all Law first year because I'm pretty sure law units will be credited at UNSW...Actually, is that actrually possible? I'm not restricted to a certain schedule in first year, am I? Because I want a kind of safety net in case I change my mind about transferring or in case I can't transfer....*sigh* I'm a rather complicated person I guess :p

I'm hoping that an UTS law student will stumble over this and answer this question...even though I will ask on the 5th Jan at the Advisory day...

Last edited:

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
You do media studies in a social inquiry.... two of the first year compulsory subjects are media studies subjects.

I don't think you can change the first year program but I'm sure that tose subjects could be counted towards a UNSW or USyd Arts/Law degree because in arts you basically get to pick whatever you want don't you? But I wouldn't rely on this, ask at the advisory days!

HSC
Hm...but what's media studies actually about....is it more about learning about what the media does or the implications of media on society? It looks pretty interesting though...Basically, my biggest concern was ending up with a degree which would point me towards journalism, because that's not really my thing. But I dunno, I just want something which would be useful but interesting but could complement a law degree...and I think that's what Social Inquiry could do for me. I was actually speaking to Lexicographer, and he said that this degree was the biggest waste of time - but I think when combined with law, it might let me keep my sanity! But I will definately ask at Advisory day!

mr EaZy

HSC
ive got the catch :)

social inquiry has a bit of communications but unlike public communications -its not recognised by the ( some public relations group??)

same goes for the other stuff. there also isnt any links with industry when it comes to this course. like in public comms , i tjink i read earlier that u get 2 (months ?) working in public relations or something

Jinglebell

HSC
Read the course outline a little closer:) In 3rd year of social inquiry you get the option to do a professional placement or parliamentary placement (this one is limited to 10 places, but to my knowledge this limit isn't placed on professional placements). The parliamentary placement was one of the things that really drew me to the course, you get to actually go and work in NSW parliament for an MP.

So you do get experience in the industry that way, but remember that, unlike pub comm for example, there is no 'national association of social inquirers' or the like to be accredited by, there isn't really an 'industry' as such that the course is leading you to...but a lot of the social research work occurs in/through universities, and a lot of the staff seem to be (or have been) involved in research, so theres that aspect too.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Um that's not really what the course focuses on.... social inquiry is more research type stuff (as far as I understand). Public communication is advertising/marketing and PR (public relations)..... in pub comm you would learn how to "spin", come up with ideas for marketing/advertising campaigns, write press releases etc.

Jinglebell

HSC
In social inquiry, we learn a lot about research methods and such...for example, the major project for Intro to SI is a 'participant observation', where you have to observe an event and analyse it and such. In second semester we learned about using statistics, ethnography, polling and the like, and debated their pros/cons, basically familiarised ourselves.

One of the second year compulsory subjects is Research Methods 1, when from what I understand we have to actually put some of this knowledge into practice. But as I haven't done that subect yet, I'm not entirely sure.

As for Public Communications, I don't really know any more than Ash...I know you can choose the PR or Advertising stream, and that's about it.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Jinglebell, in your opinionm would social inquiry be good to combine with law?

mr EaZy

HSC
i was wondering that too, i had to put it as my 3rd pref so that people wont condemn me for not taking up a business degree :)

its research right? big time.
so u get parliamentary placements, and various other placements- is this guaranteed like for a lot of kids or is it for a few only?

andi read the course info : this course is good for those interested in community/ welfare services (when combined with law) and also for international aid workers

how is this true? the only thing it can help out with int aid is that it involves cross cultural studies, thats all i can think of

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Yeah, im really confused. What communications course should i combine with law?

Come on people. Hit me with suggestions.

Jinglebell

HSC
OK, answers to a number of questions in no particular order:

A lot of SI students combine with law, personally I'm planning on doing it when I finish my SI degree, but that's a whole different story:) I think the theory is that combining with law makes the degree more 'useful', but bviously that depends what yu want to go into, if you have no interest in any career involving law then obviously it aint gonna do you a lot of good.

Parliamentary placements are limited to 10 students a year/semester (I don't kow if they run one semester or both) - remembering that there's less than 100 students in the course to start with, that's not really as few as it sounds. Anyway, in third year (don't know about comb. law here) you can do either a parliamentary placement *or* a professional placement toget workplace/practical experience. But there's also a lot of practical experience within the course itself - I've already done a participant observation report and a research proposal, and that's just major assignments. UTS is big on the practical aspect of courses - I know Ash would have a whole folio of stories by now, and I think quite a few journo students from our year have been published already.

Aid work: Our faculty has subjects like 'Policy and Advocacy' - if it's your thing, you can really learn how to get out there and be an agent for social change. They like to bring that out in us a bit. And combined with law you get obviously the practical legal knowledge to do a whole lotta stuff.

And finally...Any communications course is fine to combine with law, just make sure it's the communications strand that fits with your interests/goals. If you don't care about social inquiry, you'll hate it with a passion.

I think that pretty much covers everything...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)