• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

ARTS and arts in social inquiry (1 Viewer)

D.Larie

I'm feeling really bad about some of the negative comments about Social Inquiry from other threads.

I have questions for Jinglebell and braindrainedAsh,

You do media studies in a social inquiry.... two of the first year compulsory subjects are media studies subjects.
Is there also a part where we do a bit of digital media/ design?
Would this course be helpful is getting me into a Website design job etc?

Jinglebell and braindrainedAsh, some people have said that employment rates for Social Inquiry students are really low...do you agree? What kind of job will you be looking for after you finish your course?

Can I easily transfer to Social Inquiry + International Studies later?

If I study abroad for, like, 1 year in Hong Kong or America, would this help/aid my chances of employment in any way?

Jinglebell

HSC
Digital media and whatever would have to be done as an elective, so I guess if you devoted all your electives (providing you're doing straight SI and get electives every semester) to that sorta stuff you could probably get a job...but as you can probably imagine, our social/political/historical studies core is fairly technology-free.

I wouldn't know anything about employment, I haven't tried to use my degree to get a job...but I have a slight theory that part of the low employment is the fact that social inquirers are the sort who would go on to become profesional students, or at least undertake further study. Communications as a whole is a difficult industry to get jobs in, I actually think SI might be an easier branch to get employment because we can go into market research and all that stuff.

Personally, when I finish my course I'm looking to find a way to stay at uni for a couple more years, but that's just because I'm a geek and couldn't bear to have only three years in Debating Society. At this point I'm hoping to get a job in a company that will pay me to get a law degree, but I haven't really decided yet. After I get my second degree (or at least find some other way to hang around for a while) I'd like to get a public service job, but I could cave and just be a student forever.

I think it's pretty easy to pick up International Studies, you don't do any subjects for it until second year anyway. And studying overseas may or may not help you get a job...it depends on what you've studied and what the job is. Use your common sense on that one:)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I don't study social inquiry but I am also probably going to do more study once I have finished this degree (either business/commerce or law at this stage).... just because I want to and I think it will increase my employability and give me more options later in life etc.

I think that if you are determined to get a job when you graduate, you should be able to find one. It is hard to find graduate jobs after any degree. As Jane said, a lot of SI students do further study. A lot of UTS communications students are female and fairly wealthy from my observations, so maybe they don't really need jobs or maybe they just find a rich hubby lol.

SI sounds interesting, I think I would have found it enjoyable.... it was my second pref after journo.... I also reckon that I would have liked pub comm.

D.Larie

Thanks you two. :)

I would love to go to Uni simply for the sake of learning - but money is the problem.
The longer I stay at Uni, the more debt I have.
I just hope Social Inquiry can get me a job.

Thanks! :p

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Money... I know what you mean about money..... and debt..... grrr more HECS and fees and crap arriving in my letterbox soon! Argh!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)