Arts/Law (1 Viewer)

hApPy1

HSC
I went to the open day yesterday n spoke to a couple of law kids- no idea what i wanted to do before hand- came out with an actual goal! i want to do Arts/Law since my subjects/interests lye here (history and english).

Apart from a mother of a hurdle i must pass (UAI) i didnt get to ask what this degree involves- i get the general gist that it can be coupled with sumthin else- but what is teh essense of this course? and do they really expect 99.8!

Thanx ppl

heidi_kak

HSC
don't you think it's a bit late NOW to decide that you want to do law at sydney
i mean, most people who want to do this course aim for it for the whole year.

have a look at the arts website under degree pathways section cos it will give you a pretty good idea of what you can do in the course etc.

and yes, they really do expect 99.6
unless you bribe them with $20 000/year

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
asquithian: how does history at UNSw have a more modern feel? (im not nit picking, just curious)

hApPy1

HSC
heidi_kak said:
don't you think it's a bit late NOW to decide that you want to do law at sydney
i mean, most people who want to do this course aim for it for the whole year.

have a look at the arts website under degree pathways section cos it will give you a pretty good idea of what you can do in the course etc.

and yes, they really do expect 99.6
unless you bribe them with $20 000/year

so the longer you have aimed for this course, the more worthy u are for it?

heidi_kak

HSC
what i mean is that, suddenly deciding to aim for a course with 99.6 entry after all your school assessments are already finished might be a bit late if you havent been aiming to get top marks in everything all year.

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
Asquithian said:
We hardly do any anicent history. That is why it is more modern.

Also the politics school is located within the faculty of arts unlike Sydney. That's the main difference.
... As a modern history pre-honours student, I think separating politics from history is often a good idea in the persuit of an objective, scholarly appraoch to history. :)

Does UNSW really do hardly any ancient history? Wow. I think the two discplines are so complementary ... The historiographical problems surrounding, say, Martin Bernal's Black Athena are just as contemporary and 'political' as the hullaballoozah surrounding Windschuttle's Fabrication of Australian Aboriginal History (By the way, does anyone know is Keith has brought out a second volume yet? The old one I have says 'Vol I' ... I'd like to read what else he has to say on the topic.)

BTW, Sydney now has brand spanking new history department website. Gone is the old rubbish one. Take a squiz, we're not all sandstone and marble statuary. :)

hApPy1

HSC
heidi_kak said:
what i mean is that, suddenly deciding to aim for a course with 99.6 entry after all your school assessments are already finished might be a bit late if you havent been aiming to get top marks in everything all year.

Oh i see what u mean- well yeah- believe me I've been aiming for top marks with a passion- i just previously had absolutely no idea what to do in the end- and as weird/common as people say that is- its where im at- though now im very interested in this degree and am just tryin to gain an understansing of it all.

ManlyChief

HSC
hApPy1 said:
Oh i see what u mean- well yeah- believe me I've been aiming for top marks with a passion- i just previously had absolutely no idea what to do in the end- and as weird/common as people say that is- its where im at- though now im very interested in this degree and am just tryin to gain an understansing of it all.
Hey hApPy1 - I'm sure you'll be fine. Come to Sydney - you will have fun! If you don't do arts/law - do arts! I'm sure you'll love it as much as I do ... then, with a bit of hard work and if you decide you still want to, you can apply to transfer into the arts/law programme! yay! exciting! :)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Asquithian said:
We hardly do any anicent history. That is why it is more modern.

Also the politics school is located within the faculty of arts unlike Sydney. That's the main difference.
omg, i like the look of those 1st year history units.

hApPy1

HSC
ManlyChief said:
Hey hApPy1 - I'm sure you'll be fine. Come to Sydney - you will have fun! If you don't do arts/law - do arts! I'm sure you'll love it as much as I do ... then, with a bit of hard work and if you decide you still want to, you can apply to transfer into the arts/law programme! yay! exciting! :)

Hahahaha- well thanx! and yes it is all exciting isnt it! so exciting my HSC brain cant keep up! and will continue to attend open days and info nights for as long as pamphlets are shoved in my face!

Arts sounds good tho...

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Arts/law is the highest cut off tho manlychief u dumbarse, why would anyone want to do arts when they can get into the highest possible course their uai allows them to?

ManlyChief

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Arts/law is the highest cut off tho manlychief u dumbarse, why would anyone want to do arts when they can get into the highest possible course their uai allows them to?
That was not the point of the post :(

In any case - I got a UAI of 99.8 and I chose to do arts. I went into the combined law programme after 1 year. :)

Pixydust*

99.8!! WOW!! thats excellent!! ...and so depressing as i am aiming for commerce/law which is 99.6. are you going to demotivate me and tell me that you got straight A's in every assessment? ....if so, i really do have no hope lol

hApPy1

HSC
yeah! how does one get 99 point whatever.......? i mean- r u looking at straight A's all year? and "failure's" of the 'B' range?

I dont understand what a students report and assessment marks looks like with a UAI of 99.

ManlyChief

HSC
hApPy1 said:
yeah! how does one get 99 point whatever.......? i mean- r u looking at straight A's all year? and "failure's" of the 'B' range?

I dont understand what a students report and assessment marks looks like with a UAI of 99.
Subjects - School Moderated Assessment mark - HSC Exam Mark - HSC Mark
Eng (Adv): 97 - 97 - 97
Eng Ex 1: 48 - 48 - 48
Eng Ex 2: 50
Mod Hist: 96 - 96 - 96
Biology: 95 - 95 - 95
Legal St: 96 - 96 - 96
Maths 2U: 89 - 93 - 91 (Didn't even count in UAI calculation!)

While at school, my averages were a little higher (98-99%) for English, Mod Hist and Legal Studies (i.e. the moderated school assessment mark on my HSC was LOWER than the marks returned to me on my assignments), but for Maths, my average throughtout the year was a measley 81% - so that mark was brought way up. Basically, the subjects in which I cam first at my school (English Adv, Ex 1, Ex 2, Mod Hist, Bio, Legal) showed a moderated assessment mark that was equal to the HSC exam mark.

But I know of people who scored significantly lower in "better scaling" subjects and still got comparable UAIs. :) I'm sure you'll all do well :)

04er

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Arts/law is the highest cut off tho manlychief u dumbarse
wow talk about volatile. Combined Law at USyd doesn't have the highest cut-off. Science/Medicine (introduced in 2004) had a cut-off of 99.95.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Since medicine has the umat too i dun think anyone actually gets to see the course cut-off in their little uac book, which I presume is the true test of the popularity of a course.

ManlyChief

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Since medicine has the umat too i dun think anyone actually gets to see the course cut-off in their little uac book, which I presume is the true test of the popularity of a course.
I don't really understand the allure of the combined 'undergraduate' course in BSc(Adv)/MB/BS.

I think one is far better to do the grad programme because, in the combined programme students do not do medicine until they have effectively completed their science degree, and they must maintain an average in that science degree of >80%.

Students therefore spend the same amount of time at uni, the only difference being that they are guaranteed a position in the MB/BS programme at the end without having to go through GAMSAT and the interview process. For all the pressure and sacrifices a student would have to make to keep up that average, I don't see the attraction ...

Last edited:

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
It's in the so called 'security' of having that mbbs degree waiting for you after your Bsc or BMedSci

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)