Arts marks (1 Viewer)

bjh68

HSC
Hey i was just wondering what sort of marks people have gotten for there arts subjects. How hard is it to get a H1 (80+)?
THanks.

gorgo31

HSC
Well, it depends on the subject, but it is generally the case at UniMelb that somewhere between 7%-12% of candidates in Arts subjects will be placed on an H1 for their final mark on the bell curve. Naturally, that makes it really competitive, especially because admission to Arts and Creative Arts courses at UniMelb is significantly higher than at NSW and other Victorian universities. But it's not unattainable, especially if you're motivated. I managed to get four H1s this semester.

I noticed that you've posted in a few of the forums and that you're looking to transfer into law. Unfortunately, next year will be the last year of undergraduate law at UniMelb, as the Uni implements its "Growing Esteem" strategy. You really should read more about that at the University's website - http://www.unimelb.edu.au . Importantly, unless you gain admission into combined law at UniMelb through VTAC at the beginning of 2007, you will not be able to take the course as an undergraduate student. Instead, you will need to complete your Arts degree and then study for a Masters of Law at the new graduate schools.

Good luck.

Anonymou5

HSC
N/A
Gorgo31, where did you get the 7-12% figure from? I thought that scaling is generally not used in Melbourne's assessment system. I'm pretty sure that most of the scores I've obtained are my raw scores.

Edit: Nevermind, I think I remember reading somewhere about allocation of grades to a certain percentage of students in Arts subjects.

bjh68

HSC
Wow that new system at Melbourne Uni looks really interesting. Looks like it's becoming just like the American system.
Thanks for you help.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't know about Arts. But in Commerce and Law, a lot of lecturers acknowledge thar marks could be scaled. Of course, they never commit to anything.

However, for 3 of my subjects, the lecturers specifically told me that the marks were scaled.

tripod

HSC
marks are definately scaled, especially in my engineering where one of the subjects has a 40% fail rate.

i remember calculating this last year when i did one of the advanced subjects where the total of my assignments + exam mark was <50 but i still received a h3 after been scaled

Anonymou5

HSC
N/A
Are you talking about science or engineering subjects because engineering subjects don't have advanced versions. I've read that the marks are scaled for one particular engienering subject, don't know about the others though. BTW how do you know what your raw score was for the exam?

Edit: I read that there was some sort of standardisation of marks. Does that mean they only give out H1s to a certain porportion of the cohort?

*sigh*scaling really does indicate how badly you do compared to others.

Edit: Haha 40% fail rate, which subject is it? Kind of reminds me of last semester's design exam where the highest score was something like 67 and the average was below 50.

Last edited:

tripod

HSC
matha a advanced and applied math advanced. i think they are both science faculty subjects.

i know my raw score for the exam because i made an appointment with the lecturer who showed me my exam paper and the scores i received

for certain subjects, i think for arts, there are only a certain % that receive a H1.

40% fail rate for Chemical Process Analysis, which has a exam weighing of 100%. i had 5 friends who did that last year, 4 of them failed...it's scary to think that there were people that still managed 99% and 100%.

ah well.. we shall...only a month to go...yikes

Anonymou5

HSC
N/A
Hmm so your raw score in 121 maths was less than 50 and it got scaled up to 65? I feel so ripped off, I'm pretty sure my raw score in 121 maths (2005) was in the 90s but my final score (which I'm not going to state but was above 90) suggests that it wasn't scaled too much or at all. It's probably like VCE scaling so upper end scores don't get scaled that much. But that's fairly crazy, a raw mark of less than 50 getting scaled up to 60s...

tripod

HSC
meh. well. i would've been in the same class as you. i remember the lecturer saying something liek 40% was a pass and it still get's scaled up....

kind of regret doing all the advanced stuff, totally dragged my averages down and didn't see much of an advantage doing them.

oh well.

exam in 3 weeks. good luck all

Anonymou5

HSC
N/A
Yeah in years prior to 2005 the exam paper actually had a comment about 80/200 (ie. 40%) on the exam would guarantee a pass.

As for exams I just wish that I didn't have so many freakin assignments piling up in the last 2 weeks of semester, it leaves very little time for exam preparation - _-. Anyway good luck for the exams everyone (even though barely anyone visits this uni's forum).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)