• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Arts Network Mentoring Program (1 Viewer)

greeninsanity

all love is equal
Joined
Aug 1, 2002
Messages
366
Location
North
Gender
Female
HSC
2004
manifestation said:
Cool you're a mentor...do you know who you have...like what 1st years, have they given you a list?
We don't know yet. But we're having our second training session next Saturday, so they might tell us then. :) Your mentor will normally be someone who does similar subjects to you, and at least someone who does the same degree (e.g. Liberal Studies, Arts/Commerce etc.).
 

manifestation

What?!
Joined
Feb 8, 2005
Messages
594
Location
Far, far, far, far ,far away...
Gender
Female
HSC
2005
greeninsanity said:
We don't know yet. But we're having our second training session next Saturday, so they might tell us then. :) Your mentor will normally be someone who does similar subjects to you, and at least someone who does the same degree (e.g. Liberal Studies, Arts/Commerce etc.).
Oooo cool, so any mentors here doing B Arts & Sciences...or something similar?
 
Joined
Feb 16, 2004
Messages
55
Gender
Male
HSC
2005
When I went online to enrol in the mentoring program, it said it was already full :(

I guess ill end up wandering around the arts faculty, aimless and alone.
 

jellybeenz

Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
422
Gender
Female
HSC
2004
Don't worry, I'm sure you will be fine... Remember you can always ask questions here- I'm sure everyone would be happy to help...
 

greeninsanity

all love is equal
Joined
Aug 1, 2002
Messages
366
Location
North
Gender
Female
HSC
2004
untying_average said:
When I went online to enrol in the mentoring program, it said it was already full :(
Yeah, they're trying to recruit more mentors because they don't want the groups to get too big. I think you could probably just show up on the day because a lot of people who register at enrolment don't end up coming...
 

manifestation

What?!
Joined
Feb 8, 2005
Messages
594
Location
Far, far, far, far ,far away...
Gender
Female
HSC
2005
greeninsanity said:
Yeah, they're trying to recruit more mentors because they don't want the groups to get too big. I think you could probably just show up on the day because a lot of people who register at enrolment don't end up coming...
How many people do you think are coming? And how many per group?
 

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
Joined
Jan 2, 2004
Messages
3,040
Location
Sydney
Gender
Undisclosed
HSC
2004
Do you have to be an Arts student to be a mentor?

I'm an Eco/Bus student, but I did 2 junior Arts units - so did you right Steph?
 

niteshade1312

Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2004
Messages
664
Location
Sydney
Gender
Female
HSC
2005
I think you might have to be an arts student to be an arts mentor. I asked a friend whose doing Lib studies and although thats part of the arts department he isn't mentoring..
 

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
Joined
Aug 26, 2004
Messages
664
Location
left of the middle
Gender
Male
HSC
2005
I'd imagine somebody from Lib studies would have to mentor. I'm doing first year lib studies and i got an invite to arts network. Maybe just for the arts part of it... *shrugs*
 

greeninsanity

all love is equal
Joined
Aug 1, 2002
Messages
366
Location
North
Gender
Female
HSC
2004
ujuphleg said:
Do you have to be an Arts student to be a mentor?

I'm an Eco/Bus student, but I did 2 junior Arts units - so did you right Steph?
You have to be doing a degree in the Arts Faculty (this includes Liberal Studies).

If your degree is in the Eco&Bus Faculty, you can be a Peer Mentor. See http://www.econ.usyd.edu.au/13988.html. Sadly, this is the only year I can be an Arts Mentor, since I've just transferred to B.EcoSocSci.
 

bugs

Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
104
I too was brutally rebuffed, upon the pretence that they were 'full' :(
I guess i will wander in a lonesome stupor around the quadrangle - if u see me, wave.
 

greeninsanity

all love is equal
Joined
Aug 1, 2002
Messages
366
Location
North
Gender
Female
HSC
2004
Mentors received our lists of students today. I have a group of B.Arts and Sciences people (maybe there weren't enough mentors who do that degree).

Your mentor should be contacting you over the weekend to arrange a spot to meet on Monday. :)
 

manifestation

What?!
Joined
Feb 8, 2005
Messages
594
Location
Far, far, far, far ,far away...
Gender
Female
HSC
2005
greeninsanity said:
Mentors received our lists of students today. I have a group of B.Arts and Sciences people (maybe there weren't enough mentors who do that degree).

Your mentor should be contacting you over the weekend to arrange a spot to meet on Monday. :)
Omg I'm B Arts and Sciences :D :D How will they contact us? e-mail?
And isn't everyone suppose to meet 9.30am - 4:00pm at the Eastern Avenue Auditorium. I thought we get split up from there...:confused:


And I found this:
http://www.usyd.edu.au/news/84.html?newscategoryid=5&newsstoryid=913

"human pyramid and pretending to be gargoyles, photographing each other as they go." That sounds rather interesting...
 
Last edited:

greeninsanity

all love is equal
Joined
Aug 1, 2002
Messages
366
Location
North
Gender
Female
HSC
2004
manifestation said:
Omg I'm B Arts and Sciences :D :D How will they contact us? e-mail?
And isn't everyone suppose to meet 9.30am - 4:00pm at the Eastern Avenue Auditorium. I thought we get split up from there...:confused:
If everyone arrives at Eastern Ave, it could be hard to find your group. When your mentor calls you, they'll let you know where you should meet... If for some reason they're lazy and don't call, then you just meet at Eastern Ave.
manifestation said:
How many people do you think are coming? And how many per group?
There are roughly 530 first years coming and the groups are between 8 - 10 people.
 

moderngirl

Member
Joined
Jun 5, 2004
Messages
48
Gender
Female
HSC
2004
hey fellow mentor here. I'm guessing most of the mentors will either ring or email you. I emailed and hoping ppl who use hotmail check their junk mail boxes. Anyway if you're taking art history you might have me as your mentor. oh funness!

greeninsanity, i'll prob see you on the training day on saturday that is if i don't get lost myself trying to find the Darlington centre - only a second year student too so other than providing useful tips, i still know what its like being a first year since i still feel like one.

Other mentors, what items are you bringing to identify your group ? i'm gonna be lame cause all i found around my room is some cheer cone from disney world.
 

jellybeenz

Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
422
Gender
Female
HSC
2004
Hey... I'm a mentor as well... I haven't gotten an email about my group... hmm... I guess I'll find out more tomorrow....
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top