• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Ashes Series 2009 (1 Viewer)

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
England 6/247.

Flintoff just dismissed.

Trott and Broad batting.

blue_chameleon

HSC
7/268

Trott out.

Sweet throw with quick reflexes from Katich at silly point.

blue_chameleon

HSC
Stumps Day 1

England 8/307.

Aussies have taken the honours for the day I would think. Pitch looks like it will be a nightmare come Day 5 (assuming the test gets that far).

On the topic of selections: Siddle.

Had a "4 for" at the end of the day, taking the first and last wickets. Has he shown enough to get the critics off his back about being a rubbish bowler whose bowling figures are inflated by picking up the tail (like he did for his 5 for)?

Even though Hauritz wasn't picked, I honestly don't think the Aussies have rubbished their chances just because they didn't pick him and the pitch is bone drying and turning on Day 1. Will be interesting to see the aussies bat against Swan (provided he puts it in the right spots).

England should be happy with 400, the Aussies would be happy with 330/340.

blue_chameleon

HSC
Aus 7/111

What.
The.
Hell.

England will be thanking the pitch curator for this one. Can't see Aus getting 150 here. Will be extremely difficult to pull a win here.

Roy9

HSC
Not sure eh, I thought the Oval was renowned for being flat and a batsman's paradise. There were rumours about a week back that the curator/s were roughing up the pitch to ensure there'd be a result.... wouldn't put it past those poms :haha:

I don't think they'll enforce the follow on. They'd be crazy to be batting last on a pitch like that.

By the way, if Hussey doesn't deliver in the 2nd innings I reckon he has to be dropped. I'm one of his biggest fans but he has been massively underpeforming for so damn long. I'm thinking bring back Hughes, put Clarke 4, North 5 (even though I don't rate him) and Watson 6

Roy9

HSC
Wow, worst decision to give Clark out. I don't think I've ever seen a test series with as many bad decisions as this. Definitely need to make the referral system a permanent thing

blue_chameleon

HSC
Wow, worst decision to give Clark out. I don't think I've ever seen a test series with as many bad decisions as this. Definitely need to make the referral system a permanent thing
Yeah tell me about it! Even in real-time when the ball was delivered I had a serious double-take at the TV when I saw the umpire raise his finger.

North and Clark both got bum decisions, lets hope England get 10.

Regarding the pitch, I would have thought that they were always going to rough it up, as the Aussies have carried the advantage into the 5th test by only needing a draw to retain the Ashes. You're right though, I definitely can't see England batting last on this pitch.

What a disappointing pitch for the final and decisive test in an Ashes series.

EDIT: That's the Aussies all out for 160.

Last edited:

Roy9

HSC
Wish we were chasing something in the region of 400-450.... I would give us half a chance then

blue_chameleon

HSC
Wish we were chasing something in the region of 400-450.... I would give us half a chance then
Well, we are?

0/80 and need 466 more to pull off a win.

Whilst it's the highest 4th innings total in Test History let alone Ashes history, for some reason I'm not writing off the Aussies yet.

Don't forget, they did get 410 in their 4th innings at Lords (2nd test).

blue_chameleon

HSC
Even though we're a thousand runs behind at the moment, I'm actually enjoying watching Ponting and Hussey bat. Boundaries are flowing nicely and some nice shots.

Maybe i'll reserve further judgement until the end of the day. After all, records are made to be broken, right?

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
It would be a famous victory. Unlikely of course.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)