• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

ASIO refugee risk assessments flawed (1 Viewer)

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad
The 27 refugees branded a threat by ASIO have abandoned their hunger strike after immigration authorities agreed to examine the option of doing odd jobs around the detention centre.
But their main complaint – being incarcerated for up to four years on secret assessments without any right of appeal – remains unresolved.
The hunger strike at the Broadmeadow's centre in Melbourne's north ended on Wednesday night after long meetings involving refugee lawyer David Manne, who represents most of the 27 men, and one of the government's key advisers on refugee policy, Paris Aristotle.

They also feel there will be an opportunity to prove their innocence.''
The government has taken a hardline in support of indefinite detention. Prime Minister Julia Gillard said on Wednesday that the assessments were never easy and dismissed concerns they rely on information from the corrupt and genocidal Sri Lankan government.
She said Australian intelligence analysts made the assessments.
''They're not naive, they're analysts, they use the best intelligence they can to give us the best advice they can,'' she said.
The Coalition has indicated that it will abandon the review process, saying ASIO should be supported.
But Liberal backbencher Josh Frydenberg broke with his Coalition colleagues to support a review of ASIO decisions as a proper ''check and a balance''.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
this is not a thread. stop making things like this.

hayabusaboston

HSC
The 27 refugees branded a threat by ASIO have abandoned their hunger strike after immigration authorities agreed to examine the option of doing odd jobs around the detention centre.
But their main complaint – being incarcerated for up to four years on secret assessments without any right of appeal – remains unresolved.
The hunger strike at the Broadmeadow's centre in Melbourne's north ended on Wednesday night after long meetings involving refugee lawyer David Manne, who represents most of the 27 men, and one of the government's key advisers on refugee policy, Paris Aristotle.

They also feel there will be an opportunity to prove their innocence.''
The government has taken a hardline in support of indefinite detention. Prime Minister Julia Gillard said on Wednesday that the assessments were never easy and dismissed concerns they rely on information from the corrupt and genocidal Sri Lankan government.
She said Australian intelligence analysts made the assessments.
''They're not naive, they're analysts, they use the best intelligence they can to give us the best advice they can,'' she said.
The Coalition has indicated that it will abandon the review process, saying ASIO should be supported.
But Liberal backbencher Josh Frydenberg broke with his Coalition colleagues to support a review of ASIO decisions as a proper ''check and a balance''.

LMAO wot, do they think not eating anything is going to FORCE us to do something? HAHA omg what a stupid idea...

So if I go to Canberra and stand outside parliament and demand 1 million dolllars cash, and threaten to go on a hunger strike, then the government will actually give me my money? OH noooo no they wont, because I am a "well off" citizen of australia, I dont need any extra money, I live in a financially stable family. FUCK YOU GOVERNMENT, THATS DISCRIMINATION.

Last edited:

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Although I do think the ASIO review system is flawed

Humanitarian4

HSC
the corrupt and genocidal Sri Lankan government.
Well, no doubt ethnic cleansing and genocide does occur between the Tamils and ethnic Indians, that has been going on for thousands of years. But the issue is the matter of scale. I've seen no reports of thousands concentration camps in Sri Lanka. For reference, compare that to the former USSR:

This is what real, well proven genocide, is evidenced by, 62 million deaths by the state.
http://whiteheritage.org/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=502

Significant genocide can and usually does include large numbers of concentration camps and executions, although there are many definitions of genocide. The Sri Lankans should be deported to a much closer local nation such as Pakistan, Bangladesh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)