Assess, Discuss, Explain,Evaluate:Structuring? (1 Viewer)

VuongstER_boi

HSC
Heyy guys,
are any of us familiar of how u wud satructure questions that ask u to assess, discuss and explain in the sciences. THis is wat i remember.. All discuss, evaluate and assess have positive and negative..i think( not sure, so correct me if i'm wrong here)..But like, i'm not sure when u need like the one-oline introduction and stuff or when u actually need to put in a conclusion. ANyways, i'd be much apprecitated if u guys could help. thnx!

slowjam10

HSC
Check the link above or maybe try your student diary...I know ours list all the directive terms and meanings. Otherwise you coule always check your classroom walls, I know ours are scattered with posters relating to this...probably for the junior kids, but then again

:uhhuh:
Good luck with you science assessments vuongsterboi

VuongstER_boi

HSC
Yeah, i know about those glossary terms. But they only give the basic idea of the strucring of the essay.

But im not sure how picky they are with ur sentences. like, for eg,

For discuss, when they ask u to provide the issue, i dont know if u have to define the keywords firs tto get a mark. Also, can disucss have all positives or all negatives ( with uth the mixture of positives and negatives). :confused:

calslut

Banned
HSC
obviously with discuss you have to discuss the postives AND negatives, hence the word 'discussion'.

VuongstER_boi

HSC
ohh rite.

well. its just with the question 'Discuss why some wavebands can be more easily detected from space.' doesnt really have mcuh room to strcuture aadvantages/disadvtages in contrast to like..' discuss the use of blah blah blah invention" lolz. so hence, confusion.

calslut

Banned
HSC
that means you need to say why some can be easily detected from space and why some can't.

VuongstER_boi

HSC
[FONT=&quot]What if it says... "Discuss the problems associated with ground-based astronomy in terms of resolution and absorption of radiation and atmospheric distortion."

like where are the opposites in this..?

ok. i think that the fact thats its divided into three sections means one para for each ? is it not?..
[/FONT]

bassistx

HSC
What he's asking is how you should structure your answer according to the key word (assess, discuss, etc). I would like to know as well.
Reports have different structures from Narratives for example. We're trying to link the words to types of writing.
If that made sense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)