• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

assess me people!! (3 Viewers)

trashman308

HSC
ok, well ive been overweight nearly all my life, but i am relatively healthy and fit.

I did that calculation where by they put you in the region of underweight, healthy, overweight, obese.

anyways i found out i was something like "31" in that chart number, labelled as obese. which devasted me!!!, i just cant believe im obese.

I can run 4km non-stop, im fitter then most of my football mates, i dont know if this makes a difference but i wear t-shirts "L" (large) which fits perfectly.
And im very strong as everyone tells me.

btw im 175-180 cm , 102 kgs.

btw im starting to work-out, should i stick to cardio to lose some weight and then do weight training, some people say not to do weight training as ill just get bigger and bigger.??

anyway advice/suggestions/evaluations

lol
thx

Evilo

HSC
your BMI is ~31 which is considered obese. And from memory the army won't even accept you. I'm about 10cm taller than you, but about a year and a half ago iwas pushing 100. I since did running and im now down to a ~22BMI (80-85kgs). I never did weights, so i have no idea, but regular exercise, running/bike riding/mountain runs/endurance/etc did it for me. Trick is to do it with minimal changes to your lifestyle i.e. run to school/uni instead of driving etc. My advice for you would be to join a sporting club at uni and give that a go.

NinjaSauce

HSC
If you are as fit as you say you are, which i take your word for, then why do you care was some abritary number declares?

I'm 183 cm, and 108kg. Thus a BMI of 32.2 . 'Obese'.

I'm not lean, never claimed to be, but i am strong, and fit.

Unless you want to join the military, or another emergency service etc, does it matter?

Evilo

HSC
well i was using it as a point of reference. but anyway.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Your BMI doesn't mean you're obese. Muscle weighs more than fat, and so your BMI could look very high but if its made of muscle AND you're fit, I guess thats fine.

SipSip

HSC
N/A
Muscles does weight more than fat...but i do think you are fat...since that you are quite overweight...

I'm 72kg at 171cm...and i go to the gym everyday...

just because you're physically capable doesn't mean u aren't fat...

remember sammo lee

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
trashman308 said:
ok, well ive been overweight nearly all my life, but i am relatively healthy and fit.

I did that calculation where by they put you in the region of underweight, healthy, overweight, obese.

anyways i found out i was something like "31" in that chart number, labelled as obese. which devasted me!!!, i just cant believe im obese.

I can run 4km non-stop, im fitter then most of my football mates, i dont know if this makes a difference but i wear t-shirts "L" (large) which fits perfectly.

btw im starting to work-out, should i stick to cardio to lose some weight and then do weight training, some people say not to do weight training as ill just get bigger and bigger.??

lol
thx
I wouldnt recommend losing any weight at all. BMI is only a rough calculation that regular people can use to assess their fitness level. If you are an athlete, the chart is completely ruined and the figures are then wrong. Runnin 4km without stopping and being a footballer puts you in the athlete category.

In your case i would suggest measuring your body fat percentage. This can be far mroe accurate in the case of active individuals.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Evilo said:
your BMI is ~31 which is considered obese. And from memory the army won't even accept you.
They consider 18-30 to be optimum, and if you're 30-33 they calculate body fat. BMI is a pretty stupid measure.

Guy seems pretty fit.

Evilo

HSC
the point is though, he wants to lose alot of weight.

morganforrest

HSC
BMI is a bullshit measurement (both my parents are personal trainers....it's not used as a valid measurement of health anymore) It's basically a comparison of height to weight and is OK for about half the population. But for people who are quite a stocky build, the BMI measurement is thrown out due to higher than normal muscle mass, which isn't necessarily unhealthy. Eg short but quite built. I played rugby, as an inside centre, for NSW and I was classed as overweight. I'm clearly not unhealthy (186 cm and 96kg) but that's jjust how it measured me.

If you've joined a gym, ask them to do a fitness assessment for you where they'll use body fat calipers, VO2 Max tests and other basic measurement to assess how healthy you are. Most gyms will then write a program for you to help you achieve the build that you want. Losing a bit of weight may not be a bad idea but it really does depend on your body type. And it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to do a bit of cardio work as it is never a bad idea to get fitter (4km non stop is ok but not ideal)

:)

Nat3skiz

HSC
diet is more important if you're aiming at losing weight. All the cardio in the world won't do much if you're eating fat all day.

NinjaSauce

HSC
Nat3skiz said:
diet is more important if you're aiming at losing weight. All the cardio in the world won't do much if you're eating fat all day.
"You can't outrun a donut" :)

trashman308

HSC
Nat3skiz said:
would it be good if i go hardcore with weights and muscle developing machines, or would that just make me bigger, i find cardio alone will bore me out.

so is weight-training good for weightloss?

NinjaSauce

HSC
Did you just flip upside down what he said?

He said to the effect CARDIO DOES NOT EQUAL FAT LOSS (automatically)

Before even bothering with the exercise plan, diet is where it's at.

Another thing... machines? eeeewww.

All in all, if your putting bad things in your mouth, don't expect much to happen unless you work an 8 hour+ labour job.

Also, yes, weights are pretty much as good as jogging:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7228896.stm

Last edited:
K

katie_tully

trashman308 said:

lol
thx
Man, we've been through this a thousand times on this forum, and if you're asking people from here to assess you...then you're setting yourself up for MASSIVE failure.

But anyway;
BMI is generally a good standard by which body mass is measured. Unfortunately BMI does not take into account the fact that muscle weighs more than fat and as such many 'fit' people with a large lean muscle mass often tip the scales as 'overweight'. Without seeing you it's hard to determine.

Go and see a dietitian. It is the only thing I can reccomend. They will be able to assess the amount of body fat you have (possibly with a caliper!) and determine whether there are any dietary changes you can make.

For the love of God though, never again ask anybody on here for assessments or real advice. Srsly. Unless it's one of the medical students >3 yrs. Although they'll probably just go and tell you to see a professional as well. :)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
its just a measure of risk....

basically it is based on risk stratification and is well validated... overweigh was defined as 2-4x the risk of heart attacks and stroke

obese was lik 10x the risk of heart attacks..

its based on an assumption about Lean Body mass.. and for normal ppl .. not rugby player...
its a screening test... not the definative test..

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Weight training is good for fat loss because the more muscle mass you have, the easier you can burn off fat. Cardio is always a good idea though, try and mix it up. Go for a 5km jog in the morning, then do some weights in the arvo[not every day though, dont burn yourself out]

Nat3skiz

HSC
trashman308 said:
would it be good if i go hardcore with weights and muscle developing machines, or would that just make me bigger, i find cardio alone will bore me out.

so is weight-training good for weightloss?
Muscle mass never hurt anyone, but if you are gaining muscle you will put on weight before you notice the reduction in fat. Usually the diet for gaining muscle is high in calories so it might not be best if you want to lose weight as such. I'd stick to eating "healthy" and weights would definitely help for burning fat.

Update us on how you go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)