Assessment Mark Scaling? (1 Viewer)

meliebot

HSC
I'm so confused about assessment mark scaling at the moment. My raw mark was 94 but in my results I got an 83 assessment mark. How on earth does this work? I'm really disappointed as I tried really hard and came first in English Advanced...
Does anyone understand how it works?

bored of sc

HSC
The assessment mark is equal to xth highest exam mark where your assessment rank is x.

In other words, say you were ranked 5th for your school assessment mark. This means you get the 5th highest exam mark as your assessment mark.

meliebot

HSC
I was ranked first for my assessment mark. so this means I got the highest HSC exam mark as my assessment mark?? That technically means the highest exam mark was 83....which I highly doubt.

bored of sc

HSC
I was ranked first for my assessment mark. so this means I got the highest HSC exam mark as my assessment mark?? That technically means the highest exam mark was 83....which I highly doubt.
I guess that is what it means. You should check with other people in your cohort though. If you think there's a problem, notify your principal/Board of Studies.

meliebot

HSC
This is crazy. BOS should die. How would I contact the Bored of Studies? I mean, I know there's probably no hope of getting it changed...but it would be better if they could explain it to me to make me feel less like I was cheated.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The assessment mark is equal to xth highest exam mark where your assessment rank is x.

In other words, say you were ranked 5th for your school assessment mark. This means you get the 5th highest exam mark as your assessment mark.

NO.

You do NOT simply get the exam mark of the rank that matched yours.

The top and bottom exam marks become the top and bottom assessment marks (assuming no equals which then sees them averaged).

Then the total number of marks are allocated according to the ranks and gaps so it is normal for the exam marks and the assessment marks to not be the same outside the top and bottom.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
If you were ranked 1st by your school and received 83 as your school assessment mark then that is the top exam mark earned by your cohort, unless there were multiple equal firsts in which case marks of the top number of students who were ranked equal first are averaged to get the top assessment mark.

Outright first - 83 was the top exam mark

Two equal firsts - 83 was the average of the top two exam marks

Three equal firsts - 83 was the average of the top three exam marks.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
That technically means the highest exam mark was 83....which I highly doubt.
What you said is what should happen. There could be a clerical error, or it could be that your teacher have been generous with marking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)