• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Assumed knowlege for Year12: Biology & Chemistry? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden.

HSC
So after reading a few threads on holiday preparation for next term, im feeling inadequate and a little ill-equipped for next term haha. It has disillusioned my little enchantment that I can 'chill' for these 14 days, and I guess I can, but maybe I should be thinking about preparation too.:ninja: xD

I'm aware that the Prelimary Course can not be tested in HSC but will however be essential for the study of the HSC Course - thus I was wondering, what exactly do I need to know before Year 12 Biology & Chemistry starts? Assumed knowledge, or any essential formulae or topics I should perhaps just sharpen on?

Im quite clueless so please point out the obvious if you must :)

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
well for chem u'd need to know the basics of course
the concept of moles
basic chemical reaction equations or just reactions
i guess probably enthalpy change
valency of stuff of course
bonding
properties of elements

basically everything generally, just wat we've learnt in yr 11 so u shud know it all

Lyly

HSC
Well for Chem you'd need to pretty confident with:

- chemical equations (writing + balancging them)
- moles
- chemical reasons behind reactions, observations etc
- using your fomulas (never underestimate n=m/M!)

For Bio:

- evolution and ecology won't be that important, but you'll need your stuff from the Patterns in Nature topic, like:
- the human body (digestive system, comapre to herbivores/carnivores etc, gas exchange, excretory system and so on)
- Know how you would classify organisms. (Is it a plant, animal, chordate, mammal etc)
-Mitosis and a little of meiosis.
- Enzymes - biological catalysts, speed up rate of reactions etc. It will turn into a chemistry lesson, trust me :p

Hopefully that helps, let me know if it didn't. :)

SeftonIsAHole

HSC
My teacher said for chemistry the whole preliminary course is basically categorised as "assumed knowledge" for the HSC Chemistry course. Its true that most of the content will not be assessed on during the HSC course but its useful to have a strong foundation before you build the house - so to speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)