Astrophysics (1 Viewer)

Ether

HSC
So how was astro for you guys?

I personalyl thought it was easy and didn't cover the content I thought it should, with only 1 calculating question.
I was quite surprised that they put in that 7 marker for impacts of technology which advances our understanding of the cosmos. I had hoped for something more than that (maybe beacsue I spent most of my study efforts into Astro lol), knew the option back to front but that 7 markers caught, lol
Somehow I wrote 2 booklets for the option. hmm

overall it was ok, pretty straight forward, no colour index, or absolute magnitudes, or spectroscopic parallax, or cepheid variables to work out, lol getting carried away

Roobs

HSC
wewll i cant remember the number, but i just know i rooted that question coz i didnt double the radius value in kepplers law :-(

Ether

HSC
I think so, can't remember the answer exactly

but yeah you use M (as total mass of system derived from Kepler's 3rd Law, and the very last calculation i pushed into my calculator was cuberoot the answer and that got me the distance) basically you use

M=(4pi^2r^3)/GT^2

Last edited:

punk_tartan

HSC
astrooo.... easy easy easy

7 marker was great... soooo much to write

calcs easy :)

hoping for full marks

BlackDragon

HSC
i went into the exam so rusty but you needed almost no knowledge for this section. it was so easy! especially the 7 marker.

sja

dingleberry
HSC
Shady01 said:
sweet! i did same thing, thank-god my maths came in handy, also what did you say about the question b) part (i) about cheking to make sure data you get is valid?
hey. to make sure the information was valid - you go to internet websites and view other secondary sources.

what we did is we made up an experiement where we got a cube glass box of pure hydrogen gas - and we found the spectra lines of hydrogen. then we compared it to the internet source one and found it to be the same, so it was reliable.

oh and yeah for the 7 marker our teacher said you needed to mention telescopes briefly, then move onto adaptive/active optics, interferometry...

and then you have to talk about the hubble telescope going into space, giving us better resolution, avoiding the earth's atmopshere. and to distinguish between a 6/7 and a 7/7 you need to mention viewing black holes, neutron stars and binary stars as examples of other cosmos celestial objects

if you blabbered on about anything besides the future and the gain in knowledge and understanding impact then you'll probably get stuck on 4/7 he told us

ruski88

HSC
what did u guys have for the h-r diagram? i didnt know what reactions occurred in the white dwarf..i just wrote that there werent any reactions :S

for part ii) the type and mass of star A - i had main sequence and one solar mass...is that all u had to write?

for part iii) i basically wrote that the star of 10 solar masses would become supergiant and then a black hole

pzella

PzELLa
HSC
i liked the seven marker - we had an 'astrocamp' so i just talked about what we saw there. 1 b figuing out the mass of the system - we didnt get taught that our teacher gave up after the half yearlys... he would walk outta class for no reason and not come back so we had to try and teach ourselves.......

for that star in the HR diagram i said it was one solar mass, burnt hydrogen and.... somethin else i forget

hyparzero

BOS Male Prostitute
HSC
I listed Proton-proton chain reaction equations somewhere in my answer, as well as the fusion of Helium to oxygen for Point B - red- giant.

tangy_lilac888

- TaNgY LiLac =D
HSC
ruski88 said:
for part ii) the type and mass of star A - i had main sequence and one solar mass...is that all u had to write?
Lol yea ... I wasn't sure either because it was 2 marks so just 1 mark for each right? I wrote Main Sequence and 1 solar mass too. But i wasn't sure cuz it was seemed like too obvious an answer? But anyways, hope that's what they were after.

=)

s2indie

HSC
It could've been worse. The questions were like the things I studied last minute-ish, but it was great.

I was expecting more calculations too.

mr coolerer

HSC
The 7 mark question was easy. Mention things like increased computer power allows for adaptive optics.

Techniques such as superimposition to bring greater detail in colour to the stars.

Technology such as the space shuttle to put the Hubbel telescope into space.

karumi

HSC
Well it was good because having not done enough study for physics I was practically freaking out about failing and seeing there were questions I could actually DO in the Astrophysics section comforted me just that little bit. The 7 marker was perfect cause it was one of the things I did study at the last minute. Hope I wrote enough. I mentioned Galileo, telescopes, spectroscopy, photometry, parallax blah blah blah. Spent too much time on it though. ^^;;

Shady01

Currently: Destrying liver with celabatory "bevera
HSC
yeah i yabbered on about telescopes, also in relation to question B) part (i) the cheking of data, I'm sure checking of secondary soruces is triple ticks. I tlaked about reference to the H-R diagram to check if you have mass, etc correct. Would I scab 1 tick for that?

gamecw

HSC
Hey was it 5 solar mass for the 2nd last question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)