• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

at the end of first year i would know??? (1 Viewer)

lusername

HSC
i want to do engineering but not sure on mech or civil yet.
after the first year what would i know (assuming decent attendance)???
from what i can tell the first year is very similar am i right??
and whats this i hear about engineering students being a rowdy bunch and having keg parties:rolleyes: ???

would be nice if both a civil and mechanical student gave me some info :) :)
thanks.

clive

evilc
HSC
N/A
I'm a 4th year civil/maths student. Yes engineering students are rowdy and have keg parties (called FLUIDS, ask mrbassman for more info..i haven't been yet).

First year for each program is as follows:

taken from:
http://ccdb.newcastle.edu.au/courseinfo/programlist.cfm?ugpg=13&fos=6

Civil Engineering

GENG1001 - Introductory Mechanics
MATH1110 - Mathematics 111
PHYS1210 - Advanced Physics 1
SURV1110 - Surveying 1

GENG1002 - Introduction to Engineering Computations
GENG1803 - Introduction to Engineering Practice
MATH1120 - Mathematics 112
SURV1120 - Surveying 2

Mechanical Engineering

MATH1110 - Mathematics 111
GENG1000 - Computer Aided Engineering
PHYS1210 - Advanced Physics 1
GENG1001 - Introductory Mechanics

MATH1120 - Mathematics 112
GENG1002 - Introduction to Engineering Computations
GENG1803 - Introduction to Engineering Practice
ELEC1300 - Electrical Engineering 1

So, yes you are correct that first year is very similar for each program:)

After first year of civil you would know a bit about differential equations and linear algebra, some physics. And you would have a fair grasp of surveying. But the main thing to take from first year civil would be basic structural engineering - analysing simple structures and calculating forces, moments etc... fun stuff. I did a fluid mechanics subject when i was in first year but i don't think you get to do it until second year now with all the restructuring of the engineering degrees that is going on at the moment.

Feel free to ask any more questions about civil/mechanical.

Last edited:

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
yea first year eng is pretty much the same accross the board, frat parties are pretty good AGM, BI, 4 FLUIDS and Autonomy Day. What esle could an engineer want

lusername

HSC
thanks clive and mrbassman
what is the workload like?
do you need to study unbelievably hard to go alright?
and employment prospects (during and post) degree, what are they like?
these questions may seen basic but like the other thousands of ppl looking to do to uni its still a bit of a leap into the unknown

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
lusername said:
these questions may seen basic but like the other thousands of ppl looking to do to uni its still a bit of a leap into the unknown
its no problem mate

id be expecting 22+ contact hours a week for first year engineering (physics takes a lot with weekly labs)

if you did well in high school and the right subjects first year wont be too bad in terms of maths. physics is a big jump, and if you end up doing mech elec1300 is about the toughest course (well it was couple of years ago). the trick is to not get behind, i would say doyour projects early but it wont happen because you usually dont find out how to finish them straight away.

employment prospects are very good for our engineers, it is fairly easy to find somewhere for the summer holidays that will take you on for 12 weeks and pay you 500+ dollars a week, as for during the uni weeks, i would be looking for a very undemanding job time wise. as for employment when you graduate, our engineers are in high demand.

clive

evilc
HSC
N/A
lusername said:
workload isn't to bad, most of the time you can bludge a fair bit through semester and still get HDs if you study enough towards the end :)

employment prospects are great, you would be doing well not to get a job once you graduate. It is a bit harder to get summer vacation work, although still not hard as long as you apply before about september (i left it too late this year but luckily got a research scholarship instead :D)

clive

evilc
HSC
N/A
doing the B.I again this year mrbassman? I think i will give it a shot if it doesn't clash with soccer. (or i could suffer a mysterious "injury" and miss soccer :D)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)