Atar and english (1 Viewer)

iamdumdum

HSC
Hello guys, i have identified my aim of wat atar i want ( ~99)
I want to ask whether doing english standard will hinder my chance of getting this atar although im going to do advanced
btw i dare say, i am extremely strong in maths and science and im planning to take , mx2, mx1, chem and physics

nifkeh

HSC
English std definitely will if you are aiming to get that atar especially, you need to do advanced. Unless you are getting a band 6 in Std, it is a lot harder than it sounds. only 56 people out of 34 000 or so get a band 6, compared to 3000 or so out of 33 000 getting a band 6 in advanced

If you are strong in maths and science, that's good. However chem and physics is a little jump above from year 10,there's lots of stuff you haven't covered before in year 10 such as moles, concentration,trends and year 12 there's even more to add on top of that. I'd say physics is a little easier with some background knowledge from year 10 than chem is

maths is going pretty fast in year 11 and year 12 esp for ext 1 & 2, and I guess it's harder and even harder in year 12 esp for 4 unit maths. However, getting a 50% in 4 unit maths isn't going to get you a 90% scaled, because it is actually going to be maybe 68-70% at best. Even though it's high scaled, you need to do well in it to be in your favour (at least 70% raw). Otherwise you're better off doing a 2unit math and 3 unit math combo because 2 unit is pretty easy and reassuring if you are unfortunately bombing your other subs.

What is your 12 units in prelim? You need to do 12 in year 11,currently your list only gives 10 units,presumably for year 12 study.

qrpw

HSC
Simple answer is yes, regardless how well you do in the other subjects Standard will make it much harder (almost impossible?) to get a really high ATAR.

2xL

HSC
Yeah, as much as you can try and get into English Advanced. Even if you hate it, just keep it and gut it out. It will be worth it.

iamdumdum

HSC
prelim - eco mx1 adv english, chem, phys and 1unit photography

i dont no why, but i have a feeling of totally destroy everyone in mx2 and mx1 and phys that is why i want to ask whether standard will do any harm to me

2xL

HSC
prelim - eco mx1 adv english, chem, phys and 1unit photography

i dont no why, but i have a feeling of totally destroy everyone in mx2 and mx1 and phys that is why i want to ask whether standard will do any harm to me
Yes. It's not just about your cohort, it's about the rest of the state as well. Keep Eng Adv.

Aysce

HSC
Yes. It's not just about your cohort, it's about the rest of the state as well. Keep Eng Adv.
This is extremely crucial. Pick up English Standard and you've basically shot yourself in the foot.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
If you want 99 ATAR then as everyone else has said you really should do advanced english. With that kind of aim you will want to be towards the top for most of your subjects - including english and it's far better to be towards the top at advanced than topping standard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)