English Standard
Ancient History
Entertainment Industry
Drama
Music 1

I have completed music 1 as I accelerated. I got band 5 -
All my assessment tasks this year have been a Grade B
My trials were pretty bad as I got about 50% in all of them

How do i predict my Atar from that ? and What do i need to get in my HSC exams to make sure Atar is around 70 ?
Also how do i know what rank my school is /

Dassamon

HSC
Predicting your ATAR (Australian Tertiary Admission Rank) based on your current performances can be a little complex as it depends on various factors such as your internal school rank, your HSC exams results, and the performance of other students in your courses across the state.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Students typically estimate their ATARs by considering their ranks relative to their cohort in each of their subjects. Essentially, the higher your rank in a particular subject, the higher your Assessment Mark (internal mark) is likely to be, which in turn makes a more significant contribution to your ATAR. Additional information, such as your school rank and the number of band 6's achieved at your school in each of your subjects is also relevant. This information helps in determining the academic capability of your cohort, based on which your ranks can be assessed. For example, a student aiming to achieve a mark in the band 6 range in a particular subject at a school where approximately 20 band 6's are achieved each year should be aiming to place within the top 20 students of their cohort. From that point, the higher their rank, the more likely they are to achieve a mark in the band 6 range, and the higher the mark value is likely to be.

The number of band 6's achieved at your school in each of your subjects can be publicly found on HSCninja, although students aiming for lower ATARs may be more interested in the number of band 5's (or lower) achieved at their school in each of their subjects. Unfortunately, this information is not available publicly, meaning that you would need to enquire about it yourself.

You can also use your trial exam marks to calculate your ATAR (see carrotsss's ATAR calculator). However, I think that it currently does not cover all your subjects, so you may not be able to use it until (or if) the tool is updated to accommodate all your subjects.

In your particular case (and considering your subjects), maximising your chances of achieving an ATAR around 70 will likely require marks in the low to mid band 5 range. Based on this, you will need to prepare for your HSC exams to the best of your ability. The fact that you were able to achieve a band 5 in Music 1 is good as it constitutes a step towards achieving your ATAR goal.

You can determine your school rank by searching your school name, followed by "bettereducation".

I hope this helps! :D

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks that actualy helped heaps - what does it mean if the school is ranked 305 ?
No worries, if the school is ranked 305, this is an indication that it does not have an academically capable cohort (i.e. has a lower number of academically capable students), as opposed to higher-ranked schools (such as selective schools), where the cohorts tend to have larger numbers of academically capable students.

Because of this, a student who attends a low-ranking school must essentially rank as high as possible internally across their subjects in order to maximise their Assessment Mark. On the other hand, similar Assessment Marks can be achieved at a higher-ranked school with lower internal ranks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)