• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

atar estimate from preliminary report marks? (1 Viewer)

sheep90

HSC
i was playing around with atar calculators and decided to plug in my preliminary report marks to see what I would get
it said 73.45

that being said though I didn't really try very hard in year 11 and now I regret it.
I'm really worried about how well I'll do this year
English and Maths are not my best subjects and I really dislike them but there's not much I can do about it
anyone have any tips?

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
School marks are extremely unreliable for ATAR calculations, as some schools mark harshly, while others mark extremely easy.
And if you don't like maths, have you considered dropping it? If you're not going to be motivated to study for it, it will be hard to get good results. For overall motivation to study, set yourself an ATAR goal and think how annoyed you'll be if you don't get it, just because you couldn't be bothered to study. But year 11 doesn't count towards your HSC, so take year 12 as a fresh start and start really putting in. It's only a year of your life.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
prelim results are inaccurate to go off by because people tend to work harder in year 12, making them an inaccurate indicator of what you can potentially achieve.

It's hard to give tips if I don't really know any background but generally, for English, look over rubrics and stuff. Even if you hate it, still try and put in the effort to do well. Practice doing past papers (i.e. section 1!!!!) and make consistent notes. Dw, I hate english advanced with a burning passion, but just try to find some positive in it so it doesn't seem like a complete chore.

Maths - find joy in solving hard problems or problems in general, and it could make alleviate the burden of doing it. However, if you really hate it and you're on 12+ units, drop it. or just do past papers for practice.

Best of luck!

Kobweb

HSC
N/A
Also you would've entered your un-moderated marks, ie your raw marks. You can't go off this because to calculate your ATAR, your raw marks are first moderated (which is the end result you see for each subject) and then scaled to put all subjects on an equal playing field. This is a simplification of it... To give an example last year a mark of 67% raw in 4 unit maths went to a 90 moderated mark. Type in 90 in an ATAR calculator and you get around a 99.6+ relative ATAR. So don't worry, and don't go off ATAR calculators just yet.

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad
its ok work harder and you will make it. Physics and Maths is my enjoyment side and better side too , than english or social science subjects but yet I manage to do bad in some of my exams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)