• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Atar estimate please! Humanities subjects? (1 Viewer)

lisaintan

HSC
Hi, I would really love an ATAR estimate..

Here are my internal ranks from my half-yearly report:
English Adv - 2/22 :mad2:
English Ext I - 3/4 :uhoh:
Ancient History - 4/18
Modern History - 8/19
Society & Culture - 8/18
SOR II - 1/~20 :smile: (I'm doing this at TAFE, prelim+hsc course in one year)

I also do English Ext II, and I am aiming for at least 40/50.
Last term, I did not hand in a Modern assessment which was worth 20%, resulting in a mark of 0 (this was after I received my half-yearly report). If I get 85+ on my trial exam (worth 20%), would I be able to somehow keep my position as 8/19 or will the previous assessment lower my rank dramatically?

Trials are in three weeks or so, and I know for sure that I will get my rank up to at least 2/4 for Ext I and 5/18 for Society & Culture.
My school rank is around 380 - 390 :(

Last edited:

barbernator

HSC
82~

why didn't you hand in your assignment? and yep it will have a dramatic effect on your rank, probably resulting in it being the subject that doesn't count.

lisaintan

HSC
There were family and personal issues happening during the period when we got the assessment and when it was due. However my school does not accept those as legitimate excuses for an extension of the due date..

Can anyone give me advice on how I can boost up my ATAR to around 86? What ranks would I need?
I'm pretty positive that I'll do really well in my trials for all my subjects because I've prepared and am still preparing for them.

Should I drop a subject? It would either by Modern or Society...Modern because it may not end up counting, Society because I hate it and it probably scales the worst?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
If you are feeling confident for trials and have a spaced out timetable for them i'd advise you to not drop anything yet. See how your ranks end up with modern and society and culture before you make a decision about whether you want to drop anything. I actually have no idea how the exams and aligning work with Society and Culture sorry but the scaling and amount of people in the subject getting a band 6 (lol i just checked on matrix atar calc) is really good. Infact (for example) if you get 2 marks in the hsc higher for S&C than you would in Modern, you are better off keeping S&C over modern. That assignment you missed was worth the same as your trials for modern so even if you get a very high mark you will still drop a few ranks depending on how far in front you were at half yearly reports. It's always good to have 12 units though.

Your schools rank is really low, that doesn't matter for you to be honest but i personally believe it makes it very hard to predict anything from ranks since there is more likely to be a huge difference year to year at your school. Is first in advanced english (or even Ext 1?) out of the question, because having a top rank in a subject is very advantageous for internal marks. Remember the HSC is worth 50% of your marks so just try and improve on your ranks a little in the trials and do well in the HSC and 86+ is a very realistic expectation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)