ATAR for comp sci. (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
A lot goes into your selection with FEAS, so it's hard to let you know your chances. FEAS is relevant for applicants with an ATAR from 81.00-90.95, but from there it will depend on your individual subject results and the interview.

A few other things in this thread:-
Physics: required for Computer Engineering, but not for Computer Science, Software Engineering nor Bioinformatics.
Industrial Training: All UNSW Engineering degrees require 60 days of Industrial Training (note the Training part, the students need to be learning, not just practicing what they have already learnt, so it's a bit different to Work Experience).
SDD and IPT: The discussion here reflects the situation very well - different students get a different experience depending on the high school they went to, and the teacher that they had. While this is true for all high school subjects, it seems that the variance in these two subjects is greater than core subjects like Maths. That is why we can't rely on them much.

I hope this helps a bit.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
A lot goes into your selection with FEAS, so it's hard to let you know your chances. FEAS is relevant for applicants with an ATAR from 81.00-90.95, but from there it will depend on your individual subject results and the interview.

A few other things in this thread:-
Physics: required for Computer Engineering, but not for Computer Science, Software Engineering nor Bioinformatics.
Industrial Training: All UNSW Engineering degrees require 60 days of Industrial Training (note the Training part, the students need to be learning, not just practicing what they have already learnt, so it's a bit different to Work Experience).
SDD and IPT: The discussion here reflects the situation very well - different students get a different experience depending on the high school they went to, and the teacher that they had. While this is true for all high school subjects, it seems that the variance in these two subjects is greater than core subjects like Maths. That is why we can't rely on them much.

I hope this helps a bit.
But the same could be said for maths. You could get a bad teacher for maths.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Hi, I would also like to know this. I received an atar of 90.55 though, and was wondering what are my chances of getting in via FEAS? Is the course set to stay at 91? I have a feeling it may rise to 91.5
lol it did rise to 91.5 o_O

TheStallion

HSC
But the same could be said for maths. You could get a bad teacher for maths.
Not really. At least Maths everyone is going to learn the same thing. In the SDD course, the teacher can decide what language they want to use etc. I know when I did SDD some kids were using VB in the course, some used really old versions of QuickBasic, and some even used C.

It's not like maths where there's a standardised way of teaching everything. The SDD experience is really dependent on your teacher to a huge degree, far more than any other subject. I didn't do IPT so I can't comment there.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Not really. At least Maths everyone is going to learn the same thing. In the SDD course, the teacher can decide what language they want to use etc. I know when I did SDD some kids were using VB in the course, some used really old versions of QuickBasic, and some even used C.

It's not like maths where there's a standardised way of teaching everything. The SDD experience is really dependent on your teacher to a huge degree, far more than any other subject. I didn't do IPT so I can't comment there.
Yes to an extent, but the final HSC SDD exam, doesn't rely on any one language in particular. It focuses more on standardised pseudocode which can be applied to ALL programming languages. But for the Assessment mark, I suppose so, yes it does rely more on how ur teacher marks ur major.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)