ATAR question (1 Viewer)

_Arsenal_

HSC
So I've done pretty average all year. Basically failed math (literally) and music (only failed music because I failed one Music theory and that brought my mark down from 85 to about 65) and I have only really done well in IPT and Biology (both in the 70s). Everything else is pretty average.

I have been studying a lot, I know my content and I am prepared for the actual HSC exams but does anyone know how much of a difference would it make if I got 90+ in all my exams (obviously it would make a difference)?
I know it will make a difference but to what extent?
If all my subjects bar math is 60+, and I do extremely well in the HSC, would an ATAR of the 70s still be possible?

Poops

HSC
Your internal mark doesn't matter. Only your rank does.

_Arsenal_

HSC
Your internal mark doesn't matter. Only your rank does.
Are you actually sure? Because we had it explained to us and what our teacher said, turned out to be false.
It was explained if you come 2nd in the internal marks, and then 5th in the external exam - You will still obtain the mark of the person that came second in the external exam. That mark will then be added onto your internal mark and divided by 2 to get your final mark for that subject.

But that apparently - according to friend's parents who are teachers and have taught the HSC and marked it, is false and whatever mark you get in both, you use and that ranks determine the lowest and possible highest mark obtainable within that subject for your cohort.

Poops

HSC
Wouldn't that mean you wouldn't have to sit the HSC? :L

You would obtain the 2nd external mark and your external mark divide by 2 to get your final mark.

_Arsenal_

HSC
Wouldn't that mean you wouldn't have to sit the HSC? :L

You would obtain the 2nd external mark and your external mark divide by 2 to get your final mark.
I know right? That's why I thought it was so stupid.
I have placed halfway in all my subjects except IPT - I came second. Biology however, I came third in my class out of 20, the cohort is 45 and I came 18 with a mark of like 78. qq.

NinaChapps

HSC
Are you actually sure? Because we had it explained to us and what our teacher said, turned out to be false.
It was explained if you come 2nd in the internal marks, and then 5th in the external exam - You will still obtain the mark of the person that came second in the external exam. That mark will then be added onto your internal mark and divided by 2 to get your final mark for that subject.

But that apparently - according to friend's parents who are teachers and have taught the HSC and marked it, is false and whatever mark you get in both, you use and that ranks determine the lowest and possible highest mark obtainable within that subject for your cohort.
Yeah thats wrong. Whatever you get in your HSC exams, you keep that mark. No one can take your mark.

Staggy

HSC
From what I understand, I believe an ATAR of 70 is definitely possible for you. Although, just say that you did receive 90 in your HSC and that was the highest mark in your cohort, then the person sitting on rank 1 will get that mark instead if you. You'll basically receive a moderated mark that is according to your school rank. So basically, if your math class does well as a whole in the HSC then you'll receive a better mark than your assessment mark. Hence rankings is the key factor in how well you'll do overall. E.g person coming first in school assessment marks will still come first after the HSC, even if they failed the examination. RANKINGS ARE OF GREAT SIGNIFICANCE!

Proof: http://vimeo.com/47236108

(Also check out the link, which further explains other factors that impact on your overall HSC mark)

if anyone disagrees please do explain?

_Arsenal_

HSC
From what I understand, I believe an ATAR of 70 is definitely possible for you. Although, just say that you did receive 90 in your HSC and that was the highest mark in your cohort, then the person sitting on rank 1 will get that mark instead if you. You'll basically receive a moderated mark that is according to your school rank. So basically, if your math class does well as a whole in the HSC then you'll receive a better mark than your assessment mark. Hence rankings is the key factor in how well you'll do overall. E.g person coming first in school assessment marks will still come first after the HSC, even if they failed the examination. RANKINGS ARE OF GREAT SIGNIFICANCE!

Proof: http://vimeo.com/47236108

(Also check out the link, which further explains other factors that impact on your overall HSC mark)

if anyone disagrees please do explain?
Well put it this way, the highest mark in everyone of my class (besides math) is about 96-99.
Math, I came 25th out of 90 with an assessment mark of 48-51. I was 5-10 marks off the top 10-5, lol. The highest was 80. My entire year failed math.

Mklovee

HSC
what if your ranking is like 30/50 for english then in the hsc you go 95 and assesment mark is ... 60 :S woulldnt they boost you more up and overall would be lets say 85

shongaponga

HSC
Firstly, after all your assessment tasks and rankings have been finalised, your school submits your internal marks to BoS. Then you sit the HSC external exams.Highest raw external mark for your cohort, becomes the 'ceiling'(highest possible mark) for your cohorts internal marks for that subject. Lowest external becomes the floor(lowest possible mark) for internal marks.Person that was ranked one when school assessment marks were submitted gets the ceiling mark for their moderated assessment mark. Lowest gets floor. Everyone else in-between is moderated through such that the difference in moderated marks is the same as the difference between the submitted marks, accordingly with internal school ranks. Then your HSC external and moderated assessment mark are both aligned. The two then get averaged out for your final HSC mark. Therefore, for your internal mark ranking is the most important thing other than performing well in HSC externals. As for ATAR estimates and final HSC mark estimates it is difficult to say unless we know your school rank as well as your internal rank. eg. a person ranked 1st at James Ruse in maths is basically guaranteed to be a contender for first in state. Whilst a person 1st at a school ranked ~300 may not even get a Band 6.

Last edited:

D94

HSC
N/A
From what I understand, I believe an ATAR of 70 is definitely possible for you. Although, just say that you did receive 90 in your HSC and that was the highest mark in your cohort, then the person sitting on rank 1 will get that mark instead if you. You'll basically receive a moderated mark that is according to your school rank. So basically, if your math class does well as a whole in the HSC then you'll receive a better mark than your assessment mark. Hence rankings is the key factor in how well you'll do overall. E.g person coming first in school assessment marks will still come first after the HSC, even if they failed the examination. RANKINGS ARE OF GREAT SIGNIFICANCE! Proof: http://vimeo.com/47236108(Also check out the link, which further explains other factors that impact on your overall HSC mark)if anyone disagrees please do explain?
No, the guy just says it is better for you to be as high up in rankings as possible, but he ultimately stresses key HSC exam performance, and to determine assessment marks, he stresses the importance of gaps. In order, this is what is most important:
  1. HSC Exam performance, individually and as a cohort
  2. School assessment performance and difference between marks (coming 2nd by 3 marks puts you in a better situation than coming second by 20 marks)
  3. Ranks (marks determine ranks, ranks don't determine marks) (you might be coming 50th out of 150, but if only 2 mark separates 1 and 50th, then your rank is insignificant)

Last edited:

_Arsenal_

HSC
My ranks are pretty average.IPT I came third.Biology I came 18th/45 with a mark of like 78-80.And all my other classes (Music, gen math, Adv, English, SoR1) I ranked mid way.I'm doomed. :/

Staggy

HSC
Yeah.. yeah I still totally agree with what you're saying XD ! I'm just emphasising the significance of ranking high if you're in a situation where the gap isn't extremely close. There are so many factors that implicate the end mark one is too receive.

SGER

HSC
Thank you, that makes me feel so much better!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)