atomic theory! (1 Viewer)

sooper

HSC
hey guys, having problems with this question , it asks how has the principles of uncertainty and exclusions contribute to the development of the atomic theory?

if any can help me out please do so. thanks

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
not entirely certain on this one, but it is in my belief that uncertainly defy atomic theory...

atomic theory states that atoms are made up of discrete protons/neutrons... uncertainly principle state that it is impossible to pinpoint where they really are, which defy the idea that they are particles and stay where they are....

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
The Pauli Exclusion Principle is ket to understanding the nature and structure of the electron cloud around the atomic nucleus, partcularly in atoms more complex than Hydrogen. It dictates that each atom must have a different quantum state in order to exist.

This principle could then explain the number of atoms in each ground state orbit, the types of orbits, their orientation, momentum and so on.

The four quantum numbers are:
n = energy (shell number)
l = angular momentum (subshells)
m = component of orbital angular momentum
s = component of spin angular momentum

The uncertainty principle is important for understanding that an electron does not have an exclusively particle nature. It is in fact a wave-particle.

Kirjava

HSC
I think a simple way of answering this would be to mention that the atomic model is classically forbidden (the system cannot be accounted for without the inference of quantum mechanical principles such as Heisenberg uncertainty); the major problem being that literally "orbiting" electrons would emit synchrotron radiation- thereby loosing energy and spiralling in toward the nucleus. The solution as we know it is to treat the electrons as existing (somewhere) within stationary probability "clouds" or "shells" which behave according to the aforementioned Pauli Exclusion Prinicple.

EDIT: Typo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)