• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

attn: csu of 08 (1 Viewer)

K

katie_tully

i notice there are lots of q's flying around and i'm generally too lazy to check all threads all the time; however i'd like to offer my assistance.
ive been a csu student for 2 years now (this will be my third).

if u have an q's about science at csu, the campus at wagga etc i can help. i'll go out on a limb here but matt samson is at the bathurst campus and he's pretty handy to ask questions too.

Matt Samson

HSC
I normally check this forum at least once a day, and can help with things regarding Bathurst campus and also general CSU stuff (such as who to speak to on any campus, e.g. contact points at Student Services etc.). While CSU might have different campuses, it is still the one university so a lot of the contacts will be the same no matter where you want to go.

Thats what you get for being a student for four years, entering my 5th year... But thats only because I have changed degrees just a few times.

Last edited:

07evansi

HSC
Hey guys,
got an offer for Communications (PR + Org Comm)/Business Studies,
so now that all of that's out of the way I'm just curious as to what type of accommodation I should be seeking - I live in Bathurst, but would like to stay on campus nonetheless.

I've had a look at the list of available options (semi catered/catered etc) but I was just wondering if either of you live on campus + have any recommendations for housing?

Cheers :)

Matt Samson

HSC
I have never lived on campus and live just around the corner from the university.

However, it is a ballot, therefore there's no guarantee that you'll get accommodation. It is a totally random thing for everyone (except International Students who have an automatic on-campus place in their first year, and disabled people who require it).

lachlan43

I studied a year at Dubbo and have studied a year of Information Technology at Wagga Wagga. Lived on campus at both, and am living on campus this year as well, plus working in Division of IT, and I check this forum everyday, so I'll gladly offer any help I can as well. :)

Matt, I thought first-years got a preference as far as accommodation goes. Or am I mixing facts with rumours?

Matt Samson

HSC
newkid said:
Matt, I thought first-years got a preference as far as accommodation goes. Or am I mixing facts with rumours?
International students and students with disabilities get first preference (International students get an automatic room).

But in saying that, first year students do get some preference. 50% of the rooms are reserved for 1st year students, with the other half being for continuing students.

Considering that there are less first year students (only 1/3 of the total undergrad student body are first year), they have more rooms available to them than other years.

I hope this helps.

lachlan43

Ahhh, ok. Well I'm a second year, but I just wasn't sure of exactly how it worked.

Matt Samson

HSC
newkid said:
Ahhh, ok. Well I'm a second year, but I just wasn't sure of exactly how it worked.
Well continuing students have known since November if they were successful. So the remaining rooms will be reserved for first year students and International Students.

I am totally against International Students getting an automatic room. I understand students with a disability getting one, but not fully abled International Students.

lachlan43

I know I got a room. Plus, I'm on Residences staff, supposedly that holds some sort of sway.

Why are you against international students getting a room?

Matt Samson

HSC
newkid said:
Why are you against international students getting a room?
Because they're students just like everyone else.

Yes they have come to Australia from another nation, but how does that make them any more deserving than anyone else?

I understand why students with disabilities are given preference, because they might have difficulty getting to uni, but International Students mostly are able bodied.

As for language barriers etc, well if that is a problem, perhaps they shouldn't be enrolled? I would assume an understanding of English should be a requirement for attending university.

And International students aren't the only ones to have language problems, there are lots of permanent citizens who fall under the category of "domestic" students who have an equal problem.

As for finances, there are likely MORE domestic students who have more financial issues attending university than international students. The evidence of this is that a lot of domestic students will never have the opportunity to attend university overseas, because they simply will never have the finances to do so.

International students, due to the fact they're at CSU, prove they have the money.

It is all about equality.

Students with disabilities should get preference. Able bodied students (domestic or international) should be on the ballot.

K

katie_tully

I think the argument is;
If International Students can afford to pay to go to university in Australia (and from what I understand it isn't cheap) they can afford to find alternative accomodation.

With that you have to be careful. A girl I know from England is engaged to a guy from Aus and has been living and working in Aus for a year. She wants to go back to uni but is still considered an international student.

Matt Samson

HSC
katie_tully said:
I think the argument is;
If International Students can afford to pay to go to university in Australia (and from what I understand it isn't cheap) they can afford to find alternative accomodation.

With that you have to be careful. A girl I know from England is engaged to a guy from Aus and has been living and working in Aus for a year. She wants to go back to uni but is still considered an international student.
Oh I fully understand there are exceptions to everything.... exceptions for both domestic and international students.

That is why I think it should be equal access. I understand people with disabilities getting preference, but everyone else should be open to equal access.

Some of these international students only come for 6 months as an exchange student. So they take a room for 6 months and then leave. Theyessentially have deprived a first year Australian student from a room. I don't think that is justified.

These exchange students have a home to go back to and friends to return to. Australian students don't, and the big reason for them to get on-campus during their first year is to meet people for the next THREE or FOUR years. It isn't about an adventure. I just don't feel it is at all good that these international exchange students (especially the exchange students) coming along and taking away from someone who needs it more.

And I am not being racist either, the biggest gripe I have is with the Canadians, Americans and Europeans that take them for six months.

K

katie_tully

The uni probably sees it as extra $$$ because all international students have to pay upfront.

Cash cow.

Matt Samson

HSC
katie_tully said:
The uni probably sees it as extra $$$ because all international students have to pay upfront.

Cash cow.
Exactly. Just shows how even CSU is greedy for the International Student buck, and less interested in the people they should be serving.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)