Audi R8 (1 Viewer)

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
You seem like the type that goes for value over performance. Have you considered a Getz, at ~13k, it's a quarter of the price of that Evo. Evo's can't possibly be 4 times better than any new car.

There is always a diminish in return when you increase the expenditure. Sure, in terms of value, the lower end is far better than your Porsche, Ferrari or Lamborghini, but if you have the money, they do offer a superior drive.

In the end, remember, everyone else's opinion is just as important as yours. Don't act as if your word is law.

Jiga

You seem like the type that goes for value over performance
NO... I have stated which car I would prefer based on "a mixture of performance, luxury and pricing". The only element here that the Audi wins on is luxury, performance wise I dont care how 'pleasureable' people think a German engineered car is, or that it has some stupid shock absorber system, a car like the GTS puts down more power and has all the other performance features you need... big brakes, stiff suspension etc for the road where you cant push a car with half of its power to its very limits, so why bother trying to improve things like suspension more when they are already unemployed to a certain extent in a lesser car!!!!. So yeah, performance and value is what I want... and even alittle luzury, but not excessive (Once again refer to Top Gears review of M5, these $200k+ cars are full of crap that make them realistically impractical)

In the end, remember, everyone else's opinion is just as important as yours. Don't act as if your word is law
Yeah very good point... if you had taken the time to read previous posts you would have read the response "what a stupid post ...oh UWS, i see now, carry on"... and that was responding to a post that I had littered with comments like "Personally I would take etc" just to indicate that it was nothing personal and just my opinion! Nice attempt at playing devils advocate though, but you have failed miserably.

CieL

HSC
Schoolies, usually I'm on the same side as you... but I think it's time to get away from just pure statistics and a bunch of numbers.
eg. kw, nm, mm, $, etc...

Before you give out anymore of your personal opinions, can I question you as to what you've driven besides a Camry?

Don't think I'm trying to degrade you or anything, I'm just wondering what kind of experience you've had with different vehicles.

It's like how in the previous page you mentioned Ford. I'm applying my experiences to the Ford Focus VS VW Golf Sport.

Note that the Focus is apparently "designed" by the Germans.. but I seriously think they just gave Ford the ideas that never sold..

The Focus and the Golf both have 2.0L engines.. Golf producing 3kw more.. differences is Focus has 4 gears, Golf has 6.. I really cbf'd looking at all the statistics side, but besides the price, you would THINK that they'd have similar features and performance.
WRONG.

Golf came stock with Continentals. Although these tyres are more expensive, they reacted very well. I haven't had one experience with wheelspin despite flooring the damn thing to 150 straight away. On the other side, the Focus came with some shitty tyres that spun away at 1500rpm. Not to mention powerwise it stuggled to get to 90 even going downhill.

Handling was different. Golf was smooth and light. Something that derived and perfected from the autobahn. But I have to admit it's not exactly precise for someone used to Japanese cars. Focus was heavy, but that's typical for a Ford (this is in reference to my experience with a Falcon).

But okay, I cbf'd as this was only meant to be an example, with nothing to do with the R8 really...

It's just things that you will not know unless you drive it.

Before I sampled an assortment of cars, I used to think that a car is a car... power is power... torque is torque... But you realise that these figures only become apparent when they are integrated successfully with the whole system within the vehicle.

I'm rambling...

But I do encourage you to try an assortment of cars before defining them as all the same.

Jiga

Before you give out anymore of your personal opinions, can I question you as to what you've driven besides a Camry?
Yes I havent driven many cars.... about 4, a Suzuki Baleno (mums), mine (Camry Vienta), Commodore (Friends), Lancer (Friends). But this aside, I have driven in ALOT of cars which are half decent which gave me a rough feel of the cars not to mention hearing what the owner has to say.... Ive driven in an Alfa (not sure which one exactly), XR8, Euro and a GTS (Not to mention a many other cars that aernt worthy to mention). I havent been exposed to heaps of cars yes, but I dont think many people in life do yet that doesnt stop you from being able to make an informed decision as to which car is better value for the money... at the end of the day its my OPINION vs everyone elses OPINION that you dont get 130k extra in a R8, sure it will have things better than something like a GTS as you would expect if not demand, but its hardly worth the amount they ask.... you are paying for the badge, and personally I think your paying more for an Audi badge than you would for something like a Ferrari!!!

Before I sampled an assortment of cars, I used to think that a car is a car... power is power... torque is torque... But you realise that these figures only become apparent when they are integrated successfully with the whole system within the vehicle.
Yes of course, its not just power, but something like the GTS has all the trimmings, this isnt someones project car where they have slapped a turbo on without upgrading brakes and suspension... its a car unlike something like a focus which has been designed primarily as a performance type machine, its got good tyres, its got good suspension, good brakes, its got all you need. And realistically even something like the GTS has more then you need, you cant push them to their limits on the street... so in the Audis case you've got more features which will never be tested yet your paying 200k+ for some innovative suspension that will help it at 10000km/h... very practical. And I think some of you's are influenced by personal experiences, because the Golf was better than the Ford it means German engineering is great and Fords are crap. Dont quote me, but your comparing apples to oranges when you consider their prices, $10k or so, especially with the sport version. In the case of the GTS and Audi... youve got the opposite, a cheaper car which offers relatively similar characterisitcs to a more expensive car.

Realistically, people are trying to say its my 'personal opinions' etc when you guys are doing the exact same thing and trying to say my opinion is wrong because your opinion doesnt match it... because 90% of you guys havent driven cars like the R8 or GTS or even been in a car like them. Most of us if not all havent driven a car remotely near the R8.... Ive driven in a GTS and even then I still would say I am not 'qualified' to defintively say its a great car. But like Ive mentiond a 10000 times, Im not debating the Audi is going to be a better car, youd want it to be at the price they ask... Im debating that its overpriced, if you want value for money you go for something like a GTS. And as Ive shown, this isnt like downgrading from a Merc to a Kia as it should be considering prices.... the GTS has the same if not more power than the Audi, and the only real thing it loses out in is handling, especially with the Audis mid mounted engine... but then again like Ive also said, the real benefits of this config wont be really obvious going 60km/h on your local street!!!

Point in case... we will have to agree to disagree on this one! :uhhuh:

Last edited by a moderator:

CieL

HSC
Okay.

Whatever tickles your fancy.

R8's still in my books.

You know, has anyone ever been to a car dealership and trying cars without the intention to buy?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)