augustus and the julio-claudians questions (1 Viewer)

venom

1.5th year uni student
HSC
1. Pamela Bradley refers to 'the Guard' eg "However, even after confirmation of the story was given to him by the controller of the grain supply and the commander of the Guard, Claudius was hesitant" (talking about Messalina's infedilty and alleged plot to put Silius inpower) Does 'the Guard' mean the Praetorian Guard?

Syllabus Questions

2. the dot points about prominent women and prominent Romans. Do you only have to know the people that are listed in the syllabus or are they only a guide.

3.Does 'the problems of succession' refer to everyone or just Augustus?

thats it for now, thanks

Caratacus

HSC
N/A
1. Yes.

2. They are a starting point - it would not hurt to know more but you should know at least these

3. It could be either - you should know both - any question should say specifically - "(the problem of) the Augustan succession" or "the succession under the Julio-Claudians"

Magister

HSC
N/A
Re Augustus' Principate and the Succeesion

I am attaching a file on the above topic which I updated from some old UNE lecture notes. I hope they will help some of you. It is highly desirable to read Augustus "Res Gestae" in which he summarises his achievements. It is a very propagandist piece of writing, but it is a great primary source which enable you to compare his version of his principate with other sources, both ancient and modern. It is available in full text translations on the Net.

I also hope to post some stuff on the Second Triumvirate and Pompey's career over the next few days. Best wishes for your revision. Feel free to contact me if you need any help on Roman and Greek topics in particular.

Magister

trekkie

HSC
You only have to know the listed ones in detail as they are the only ones that the exam can specifically ask for, although if the question was simply on julio-claudian or roman women itd be good to have an idea about others so you can comment on em, also for foreign leaders knowing more than the listed will help in the section on each princeps administration and relationship with the provinces and neighboruing countries.

trekkie

HSC
am i the only one who finds this damn counter annoying, its making me stress morew and more, i think ill stop coming here

Paroissien

HSC
Nope I'm the same. Especially when it was wrong this morning and it said one day to go. Even though I knew it was wrong, it scared the hell out of me

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)