AUSTNET IRC (and #hsc) (1 Viewer)

Protector

a little unsane
HSC
CONNECTION ERROR ON AUSTNET IRC ( And therefore the BOREDOFSTUDIES CHAT ( #hsc ) )

IRC DETAILS
irc://au.austnet.org/hsc
- Network: AUSTNET
- Port: 6667 - 7000 (anywhere in there is fine)
- Channel: #hsc

Wednesday the 21st of April 2004

For the interest of anyone who is presently attempting to connect, the follow error (or similar) may be found on attempting to connect:

PHP:
 Python interface loaded
 Perl interface loaded
--- Looking up au.austnet.org..
--- Connecting to irc.netspace.net.au (210.15.254.126) port 6667..
--- Connected. Now logging in..
--- *** Welcome to Austnet
--- *** If you are having problems connecting due to ping timeouts, please type /raw pong 29C8D774 or /quote pong 29C8D774 now.
--- *** If you still have trouble connecting, please email [email]help@austnet.org[/email] with the name and version of the client you are using, and the server you tried to connect to: (netspace.vic.au.austnet.org)
--- (G) Banned from this via gline mask 144.* : Banned from AustNet: This IP range is banned due to an abusive user. Please call Telstra support and quote ticket number 9179028 if you wish to complain about this ban.
--- *** (G) Banned from AustNet: This IP range is banned due to an abusive user. Please call Telstra support and quote ticket number 9179028 if you wish to complain about this ban..
--- Closing Link: lexi by netspace.vic.au.austnet.org (You are banned from this server. Email [email]help@austnet.org[/email] for assistance)
--- Disconnected (Remote host closed socket).
Now, my username is "lexi," (for those that know me I'm not lexicographer :p), but the rest basically states that AUSTNET have banned ALL users with an IP of 144.*.*.*.

As a result any user who has an IP starting with 144 will NOT be able to ACCESS AUSTNET.

Please contact your ISP for a new IP. If you are with Telstra, ask for an IP out of the 144 range.

At present it should be noted this will be affecting ALL TELSTRA BIGPOND CUSTOMERS.

---
FYI
---
1. I am in no way affiliated with Telstra, nor are they paying me. This information is provided to resolve later questions before they appear.
2. The code above is from XChat 2.07 for Linux i386, and is NOT PHP :)
---

*kicks computer*
Peace. Out.

EDIT

PHP:
--- (G) Banned from this via gline mask 144.* : Banned from AustNet: This IP range is banned due to an abusive user. Please call Telstra support and quote ticket number 9179028 if you wish to complain about this ban.
This (the forementioned) is the important part. If you do not understand, 144 is like your computers house address on the internet, its like your country code :)

EDIT 2
KNOWN AFFECTED NETWORKS:
- TELSTRA BIGPOND
- INTERNODE (at least ADSL)
- OPTUS

Please post any other affected networks to help others :)

EDIT 3
Please Note that Winston has informed me and everyone else (in a reply to this) that it may be your modem as opposed to ISP. Due to my Modem not fitting the model he believes affected, it may be one or the other, please remain calm if you have a CYBERSURFER and inform your ISP to ask for a replacement (the techie may laugh). If you have a Nortel Modem, the problem is, according to Winston, the modem.

Last edited:

Protector

a little unsane
HSC
All issues seem to have been cleared, however, please post if you need any help with the resolution of this problem... as it may just be me.

(( I believe Telstra finally changed my IP :) ))

Protector

a little unsane
HSC
Thanks FM :p You know very well the hell I went through when I first joined the channel... then some gimp registered protector :)

Anyway, most issues seem cleared, I'm getting a few messages over MSN saying there are a few issues with Internode users...

Winston

HSC
Well not all Bigpond customers, it actually affects the users who have the Nortell Networks DOCSIS modems, not the Motorola Surfboard users, the Nortell ones has an ip range starting at 144. i remember.

Protector

a little unsane
HSC
I have a Cybersurfer :| (old school model) and I was affected...

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Protector
I have a Cybersurfer :| (old school model) and I was affected...
Ahuh that explains it... You're getting sent to you a new modem i think.... a DOCSIS compatible one, at a free of cost, it's Motorola Surboard SB 5100 i remember.

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
umm im on optus and my ip isnt 144.. its been unable to connect today and yesterday.. it doesnt even go on and say ive been banned or whatever..
*cries* i want to uno :(

Protector

a little unsane
HSC
A new issue has appeared, and as of yet the AUSTNET staff haven't fixed it... Here is the information made public at http://www.austnet.org

Server Connectivity Problems
Over the past 24-36 hours, AustNet has been experiencing technical problems which have meant some servers are not available, and users cannot connect to others on the normal addresses. More

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
if u cant get on there.... i've made a #hsc channel on beyondirc.

/server irc.beyondirc.net
or
irc://irc.beyondirc.net
then
/j #hsc hscers

the hscers part is the key to the room.

Edit:
Even using the adresses that austnet's given on their news page i still cant get on.

Protector

a little unsane
HSC
btw. The second link in the post will, every second time, set you onto a different network (I have no idea either)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)