Australia is to announce $73bn in defence spending aimed at equipping its military. (1 Viewer)

discuss

• This is OTT. No one is out to get us.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Great idea. We live in a dangerous world.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
Re: Australia is to announce $73bn in defence spending aimed at equipping its militar

They can't fucking afford to send out the boats they have, my dad's sea time keeps being cancelled or cut short as they've cut fuel money, lol

Also, as has been previously stated, there aren't enough personel, despite huge, regular payrises.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Re: Australia is to announce $73bn in defence spending aimed at equipping its militar

Regional threats? What reds under the bed? The asian menace? Goodness gracious me. Any reasonably sized army wil treat us like a speed bump, any small one we could all but repel as it is, upgrades to the army are futile unless we got another million or so willing soldiers and about four hundred billio to spend on equipment upgrades.
Theres plenty of scenarios you are not taking into consideration. You want support from our allies? well you have to give some back too, and with this upgrade we can give more than just a token hand.

Also i dont know what you are using to judge a nations defence forces as effective, but i think we have one of the most effective systems in the world. Do you really think a nation could plan an attack on us without us knowing about it? and once that happens their president, their whole cabinet and key military leaders end up dead, major highways are bombed, their electric grid is ruined, all this because we have the most effective special forces in the world and this is all before they can even get any of their forces close to ours.

On the way our high tech subs hole their ships at leasure, sneaking in, sinking what they will and out again, our 100 high tech fighters take similar action, i am not sure what exactly we are getting but i am sure their will be some jsf's and maybe even some f-22's. Both of which are the most deadly and effective fighters ever built, they dont just win 1 vs 1, they are still in a dominant position 1 vs 3 and thats if the attacking force detects them and launches enough fighters in time which they wont because they also have the most high tech stealth capabilities.

With all of this going on what kind of force would actually reach australia? in what condition would the attacking nations country be in? dont forget with all this sabotage going on everyone else will be placing embargoes and political sanctions on them, it would be suicide to try and attack us. Also nukes. Assuming we can get some, we are one of two countries on earth that can actually use large warheads in a defence manner. Oh you took a small part of the northern coast of australia? meh nothing up there anyway BOOM.

Not to mention that the whole purpose of this is as a holding action until our allies get here and clean up whats left. No, our defence plans are very effective and that is a large reason why we have never been invaded.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC

Australia would be excellent place for partisan and guerilla warfare.
Precisely. Which is why I think that we should take a leaf out of Russia's history book and use a similar strategy of warfare as the Ruskie's used in the Napoleonic, and the First and Second World Wars.
Namely, allow any invading army to just take control of the Australian outback, retreat to a well fortified outpost far away from the inavsion (namely Tasmania and New Zealand) and use the vast expanse of land against them through partisan and geurrilla tactics, as well as hit-and-run attacks upon their tenuous naval supply lines.
In essence, this strategy would rely upon an army of well-trained and lightly-equipped infantry, with a large percentage of the populace qualified as reservists, as well as large aerial supply fleet to supply the partisans, and a large submarine fleet and an armada of small cutters, so as to make small, stealthy and fast attacks upon naval supply lines.
Total costs would be well down upon current expenditure. The armada of small cutters could also be used in peacetime as a more effective coastgaurd, rather than sending destroyers to catch refugee dinghies.

HSC

There is no such thing as allies. Only interests.

E

Empyrean444

A nation of 21 million with a standing army of 50 thousand would need lightsabers and iron man suits for this funding to make a difference. You could pump 200 billion into the upgrading of our equipment, unless you want to go nuclear we couldn't repel any serious invasion attempts.
Yes but numbers are by no means everything. I would take a better trained but relatively small army over a massive but averagely drilled force. Technology and discipline are far better than numbers.

Lentern

HSC

Yes but numbers are by no means everything. I would take a better trained but relatively small army over a massive but averagely drilled force. Technology and discipline are far better than numbers.
Yes but 5% better technology isn't worth 300% more men.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC

This is an excellent thing. One of the first truly meaningful things Rudd has done so far.

Lentern

HSC

Theres plenty of scenarios you are not taking into consideration. You want support from our allies? well you have to give some back too, and with this upgrade we can give more than just a token hand.

Also i dont know what you are using to judge a nations defence forces as effective, but i think we have one of the most effective systems in the world. Do you really think a nation could plan an attack on us without us knowing about it? and once that happens their president, their whole cabinet and key military leaders end up dead, major highways are bombed, their electric grid is ruined, all this because we have the most effective special forces in the world and this is all before they can even get any of their forces close to ours.

On the way our high tech subs hole their ships at leasure, sneaking in, sinking what they will and out again, our 100 high tech fighters take similar action, i am not sure what exactly we are getting but i am sure their will be some jsf's and maybe even some f-22's. Both of which are the most deadly and effective fighters ever built, they dont just win 1 vs 1, they are still in a dominant position 1 vs 3 and thats if the attacking force detects them and launches enough fighters in time which they wont because they also have the most high tech stealth capabilities.

With all of this going on what kind of force would actually reach australia? in what condition would the attacking nations country be in? dont forget with all this sabotage going on everyone else will be placing embargoes and political sanctions on them, it would be suicide to try and attack us. Also nukes. Assuming we can get some, we are one of two countries on earth that can actually use large warheads in a defence manner. Oh you took a small part of the northern coast of australia? meh nothing up there anyway BOOM.

Not to mention that the whole purpose of this is as a holding action until our allies get here and clean up whats left. No, our defence plans are very effective and that is a large reason why we have never been invaded.
Really serious we haven't been invaded because there are better places to invade if you want to go down that path. And your theory seems to be that every hostile nation in the world has ramshackle old materials and they plan to invade us with Hoplites and Biremes.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC

Really serious we haven't been invaded because there are better places to invade if you want to go down that path. And your theory seems to be that every hostile nation in the world has ramshackle old materials and they plan to invade us with Hoplites and Biremes.
Iron, coal, natural gas and uranium are pretty important in a war, it's not out of the question.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC

We could invest in Anti-Missle technology.

We are pretty secluded in the sense of missile launching and such. Perfect defence against nukes, shoot them out of the sky before they reach us.

And for the love of god, upgrade the infantry weapons. The Styer is in need of a good upgrade.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC

Looks like I picked a good time to go into the Armed Forces.

Ya'll feel safe?

Uncle

Banned
HSC

We could invest in Anti-Missle technology.

We are pretty secluded in the sense of missile launching and such. Perfect defence against nukes, shoot them out of the sky before they reach us.

And for the love of god, upgrade the infantry weapons. The Styer is in need of a good upgrade.
Hopefully the Taliban are not capable of launching inter-continental ballistic missiles.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC

Hopefully the Taliban are not capable of launching inter-continental ballistic missiles.
North Korea?

flaganarchy

HSC
N/A

Lets bomb the Parliament!

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC

Useless until we become militarized society like America. Until then theses ships will just rust in ports.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC

And your theory seems to be that every hostile nation in the world has ramshackle old materials and they plan to invade us with Hoplites and Biremes.
Hey, don't diss hoplites and triremes! They were good enough for the Ancient Greeks.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC

Nah I'm not retarded enough to sign up for any type of infantry/rifleman job
You can't anyway. Women aren't allowed on the frontlines in the ADF.
Or at least not since the great cooties outbreak of '85. Entire battalions had to be quarantined, just cos one chick decided to chuck a Mulan and join up in disguise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)