Australian Citizenship Test (1 Viewer)

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
zimmerman8k said:
hahah. so you basically agree its pointless all along. I dont think its an effective insentive to learn english. You can learn the correct answer to 20 questions without really mastering the language at all.
Yeah, but that is because I'm not involved with the immigration department yet.

Awareness of Australian values is great for migrants to know so you don't walk around the streets saying 'In the name of Allah the most merciful the most gracious kill the infidels as you said Make war on the unbelievers and the hypocrites. Be harsh with them. Their ultimate abode is hell.' and expect people not to get really offended. But the test does do an insufficient job of that by dedicating questions to 'What was Donald Bradman famous for?'

In a way the government can justify the test. In year 9/10 we had to do civics and citizenship as part of the History/Geography course which, if we could actually remember all of it, taught us the basics of Australian politics and government. So, if we all have to do it in our youth is it really wrong to expect all other citizens to have that same knowledge?
(Plus, it does make sense as all citizens are obigated to vote)

I do believe that some sort of comprehension test to prove at least a basic understanding of the English language should play a role in gaining Australian citizenship.

But put short, the test in its current state probably doesn't fullfill a real role in either of the two issues. Or to the extent that it would make much of a difference. We can brand it a work in progress.

The Greens?
:eek:

Last edited:

taki999

HSC
Why is there a Question on Cricket. It wasn't even invented in Australia, unlike a sport like Aussie Rules Footy. Point is what does Sir Donald Bradman have to do with knowing about Australian customs and intergrating with society within Australia.
It's not hard to learn the answers to the test and never adapt to the Australian culture. Immigrants from overseas are mainly educated and being in revenue to Australia. If there was to be a proper test, it should be on how the immigrants will intergrate into the Australian society and make this better, as well as basic English proficiency.
Finally as some people have stated before there will be an overwelming majority of Australian citizens who will proberly not be able to get 100% for the test let alone immigrants.

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
ari89 said:
Awareness of Australian values is great for migrants to know so you don't walk around the streets saying 'In the name of Allah the most merciful the most gracious kill the infidels as you said Make war on the unbelievers and the hypocrites. Be harsh with them. Their ultimate abode is hell.' and expect people not to get really offended while you're simultaneously stoning adulterers. But the test does do an insufficient job of that by dedicating questions to 'What was Donald Bradman famous for?
Sorry man, but you're so narrow minded...its absolutely shocking :eek:

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
MaNiElla said:
Sorry man, but you're so narrow minded...its absolutely shocking :eek:
How is that narrow minded? It was a farfetched example that I was talking about. Please do not ignore the context to pass judgement and consider what has been said. I'm sure you look quite narrow minded right now having ignored the entire point of the post.

RTTTYTR

HSC
(1) Which one of these is a responsibility for every Australian citizenship?

Join with Australians to defend Australia and its way of life, should the need arise

(2) Which one of these values is important in modern Australia?

- Everyone has equality of opportunity

(3) What is Australia's national floral emblem?

Who cares, I highly doubt this is crucially important for the cohesion of society.

(4) Which one of these Australians is famour for playing cricket?

Donald Duck. Serioiusly, any question on Sport for the citizenship test is pointless in the grand scheme of things. It is much more important to ask about history, politics, economics, ideology, or civics.

(5) What is a Bill?

- A proposed law that has not yet passed through parliament

Is one of the options, "My mate down the road" or "Blinky the Koala"

As you can tell the questions I deem important in some way, I have answered.

volition said:
I think this citizenship test is nothing but an appeal to the 'quasi-racist' vote. In the same way that back when Costello and Howard were muslim bashing earlier in the year with the whole "they have to submit to our values of free speech etc etc".
That's a good point. If the Coalition are so supportive of Free Speech, how come they haven't brought up the idea of Australia having a Bill of Rights?

Also why not make them pass an English competency exam, that would ensure they have at least the English comprehension of a Year 8 student (ie; the age at which one can leave school) assuming that the immigrant is over the age of minimum age of full time work. If they need assistance then the government should provide them with tuition.

1.What are the animals on the Australian coat of arms?

Stupid question, it should be made relevant by asking what do the symbols represent.

2. What is the population of Australia?

over 20 million.

But changes over time and not really relevant.

3. Who was the first prime minister of Australia?

Edmund Barton

But does it matter?

4. Gallipoli invasion took place on
April 25, 1915

5. What was the name of Captain Cook's ship?

Endeavour

Why is it important?

6. What is celebrated on Australia Day?

the discovery of Australia
the landing of the First Fleet at Sydney Cove

Good question and depends on how one defines the terms.

7. What is the second line of Advance Australia Fair?

What a joke.

8. Give three Australian colloquialisms for swimming suit

Changes from social group

9. Name the highest court of the land

the High Court

10. On what date did Australia become a nation?

January 1, 1901

Last edited:

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Also why not make them pass an English competency exam, that would ensure they have at least the English comprehension of a Year 8 student
No, no. I disagree with this, mainly because most students that drop out in Year 8, barely have any reading or writing skills anyways. And it's not the case that a person specifically needs knowledge in reading and writing (especially of trivial information) to share "Australian Values" or become an Australian citizen.

Again knowing trivial information (lyrics to national songs, sports information or floral emblems), are not something which should be required in becoming a citizen of Australia. Questions I would rather see (and it could be administered in a few moments without any reading or writing, but rather be spoken) are as follows:

(1) Do you believe in Democracy?
(2) Do you believe all humans are equal, and should have equal rights?
(3) Are you against racial, religious or any other form of discrimination?
(4) Do you believe people have the right to do whatever they want to so long as it doesn't hurt anybody?

In my opinion those are Australian values. Not trivial questions and an adept understanding of the English language.

williams180

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
No... We get to decide what values you should hold if you want to become an Australian citizen. If you disagree with this you can go back to wherever you are originally from (or even continue living here but not as a citizen).
no doubt

RTTTYTR

HSC
sam04u said:
No, no. I disagree with this, mainly because most students that drop out in Year 8, barely have any reading or writing skills anyways. And it's not the case that a person specifically needs knowledge in reading and writing (especially of trivial information) to share "Australian Values" or become an Australian citizen.
On what grounds should immigrants be exempt from the laws of this nation? If we require Australian minors to reach a certain level of education, we should immigrants be allowed to bypass this law? Not only does this disadvantage migrants it makes a mockery of compulsory education.

sam04u said:
Again knowing trivial information (lyrics to national songs, sports information or floral emblems), are not something which should be required in becoming a citizen of Australia.
I agree with you, as my answers to those sorts of questions should indicate.

sam04u said:
Questions I would rather see (and it could be administered in a few moments without any reading or writing, but rather be spoken) are as follows:

(1) Do you believe in Democracy?
(2) Do you believe all humans are equal, and should have equal rights?
(3) Are you against racial, religious or any other form of discrimination?
(4) Do you believe people have the right to do whatever they want to so long as it doesn't hurt anybody?.
Agreed.

sam04u said:
In my opinion those are Australian values. Not trivial questions and an adept understanding of the English language.
How do you expect someone to contribute to the greater society when they are at a disadvantage because they lack sufficient education to compete with Australians whom were educated in the Australian education system? Further, if one is incapable of communicating in English then they are at a distinct disadvantage in societal interactions.

*Minka*

HSC
I agree that immigrants should learn English. I am an immigrant myself and learning English was something I did straight away. To be fair, it came easier to me because I was quite young when I came here, but my parents and older siblings learnt to - we wouldn't get far telling the doctor what was wrong in Croatian or answering exam questions in Serbian! My English is not perfetc no, but it is very functional so I am ok. I do find elements of this test insulting though. I don't see the relevance of knowing the floral emblem or the captain of the Cricket team (I will own up - I am a fan of what used to be known as wogball here) to being a good Australian citizen. My friend who is born in Australia didn't know the floral emblem! There are some things that not even 'natural born' AUstralians know that immigrants are expected to know and lastly, how can we immigrants be expected to know Australian history when in many schools, it is barely even TAUGHT?

RTTTYTR

HSC
*Minka* said:
I agree that immigrants should learn English. I am an immigrant myself and learning English was something I did straight away. To be fair, it came easier to me because I was quite young when I came here, but my parents and older siblings learnt to - we wouldn't get far telling the doctor what was wrong in Croatian or answering exam questions in Serbian! My English is not perfetc no, but it is very functional so I am ok. I do find elements of this test insulting though. I don't see the relevance of knowing the floral emblem or the captain of the Cricket team (I will own up - I am a fan of what used to be known as wogball here) to being a good Australian citizen. My friend who is born in Australia didn't know the floral emblem! There are some things that not even 'natural born' AUstralians know that immigrants are expected to know and lastly, how can we immigrants be expected to know Australian history when in many schools, it is barely even TAUGHT?
Fantastic to hear from a migrant on this issue, it provides some real perspective. As for the teaching of Australian history I know that NSW requires it in year 9 & 10, but I am unaware as to what the other states require.

William_Lawry

NSW Police
HSC
N/A
sam04u said:
God forbid the immigrants don't know an arbitrary national floral emblem, Australian sporting history (a sport not widely followed anyways) or legal terminology. (These are just sample questions though.)
cricket is not followed widely in australia??? your an idiot, pretty sure its the #1 summer game.... gook

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
politik said:
Ditto. It's useless and typical conservative policy - it is not an adequate screen of anything (if that were really its purpose), and is simply pander to the AM-listening popular vote that ironically voted Labor!
exactly, and apart from being useless i also think it's too hard on migrants, especially more recent ones. i mean, put yourself in their shoes - in between working, looking after your family, adjusting to general daily life in a new country and trying to improve your English, there's not much time to spend learning about cricket or memorising the different floral emblems, even if you considered this a priority, which i'm sure not many would.

Faesy

HSC
I think that people who wish to migrate to the country should be able to speak English, even if it isn't very good or fluent. Enough to live here and be able to function in the Australian society.

nick3157

Not Actually A Member
HSC
People are right, this is a bloody stupid test. Having said that tho, remember this is a citizenship test - u could live here all ur life as a permanent resident and not do it so it's not like we're denying people entry to the country because they can't pass the test. There are bigger problems around than the citizenship test, like the segregation that happens because some migrants are unwilling to embrace the culture and many Australians are unwilling to let them - look at Sydney.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Well maybe it's alright if we prefer to be around our own kind (meaning culture)

To be honest I find dealing with fobs mainly an inconvenience because they're so difficult to communicate with compared to anglos, and they probably think the same of us.

If the exchange and interaction of culture is limited to lip service on 'harmony days' and eating each others' food, that's quite fine with me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)