Australian Movies (1 Viewer)

Angel45

HSC
Heya...I'm doing a uni project and just wanted your views on Australian cinema?

What are your thoughts on them? What are your favourites and why? Are there any stories you'd like to see shown in an Australian movie? Do you think we should just not make movies and stick to sport??? Just any opinions and why would be great!!!!

Also, we have a very rich cinema history.. The Kelly Gang in 1906 was like the first feature length film..why do u think so few of us know about it?

Thank you all!! Look 4wd to hearing from you..

nwatts

HSC
It's gone to shit lately. There's not enough money to throw around because let's face it, movies are becoming expensive and there aren't many Australians.

My favourite is pretty mainstream, but you can't go past Mad Max.

Also tell me off the top of your head the first British/American feature film, without opening a new browser window or asking anyone.

icecreamdisco

HSC
nwatts said:
It's gone to shit lately. There's not enough money to throw around because let's face it, movies are becoming expensive and there aren't many Australians.
wha? lately? even after the proposition, wolf creek, look both ways, somersault and little fish? i didn't even like all of those films, but they were all critically acclaimed and successful at the box office here, and with the exception of wolf creek, all were equally lauded by US critics. you can't ignore that australian cinema has had a recent artistic and commercial resurgence.

as for my fave australian films; picnic at hanging rock, praise, bad boy bubby, mad max 2, muriel's wedding, lantana, and the aformentioned the proposition and wolf creek, among others...

walrusbear

HSC
chopper is my fav

i personally suffer cultural cringe so i'm not overly fond
i haven't seen many recent films, but wolf creek was good

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
<3 he died with a fellafel in his hand and lantana

yet i still enjoy all those tv movies that were made in australia during the 80s- guilty pleasure

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
wake in fright, somersault and dark city are my picks of australian films. wake in fright was a film that had been thought lost for over a decade until quite recently. it would have been a crime against humanity if it hadn't been found

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
umm Hating Alison Ashley, anyone?!?!?! easily the best. <3 DELTA!

p.s. that was a horrible lie. probably the worst film ever made. and cause its Australian, it ruins all the other aussie movies.

p.p.s. except 'The Castle'. which is one of the greatest movies ever made. and cause its australian, it makes all other auissie movies great.

HSC
i thought i wouldnt like it but i realy enjoyed bootmen lol and i also liked looking for alibrandi, japenese story,kokoda, strictly ballroom, romper stomper.The adventures of Priscilla queen of the desert and rabbit proof fence!!!!!!!!!!!

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
Rabbit Proof Fence? *shudder* year 11 and 12 english. EWWWWWWW

kimmi06

HSC
walrusbear said:
i personally suffer cultural cringe so i'm not overly fond
ohhhhh same...I've just never been a fan of Aussie drama or movies apart from two, which is chopper and one perfect day. I don't even know why I don't like them actually. Perhaps its because the american film industry is so big and that's what I'm accustomed to...when I see Aussie movies they're really nothing in comparison.

Markazzo

HSC
The Tracker, The Castle, Looking for Alibrandi, and Shine are my fave Aussie movies. There was an interesting article in the paper a little while back bemoaning the fact that for a nation that loves to laugh, all the big Australian films in recent times are of a very serious and 'dark' nature: Somersault, The Proposition, Wolf Creek, Little Fish, Lantana, and now Kokoda and Candy. Though that's not entirely true, it's still an interesting thought.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
I loved Japanese Story, but I know a lot of people didn't.

The Castle, Looking for Alibrandi, Somersault and Little Fish are other definitive faves.

I have yet to see Candy, but I think I'm going to like it :)

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Markazzo said:
The Tracker, The Castle, Looking for Alibrandi, and Shine are my fave Aussie movies. There was an interesting article in the paper a little while back bemoaning the fact that for a nation that loves to laugh, all the big Australian films in recent times are of a very serious and 'dark' nature: Somersault, The Proposition, Wolf Creek, Little Fish, Lantana, and now Kokoda and Candy. Though that's not entirely true, it's still an interesting thought.
What the heck makes Australia a 'nation that loves to laugh'. BS article alert through the roof.

My film lecturer mentioned that the industry suffers from a serious lack in genre films, which he argued would go a long way towards breathing some life into it. Good point I thought.

*Lozzie*

HSC
i love looking for alibrandi, strictly ballroom, the castle and bootmen. i want to see little fish as im sure it will be good cause it has cate blanchette in it but havent got around to it. note to self must do this soon

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
'Lantana', 'The Castle' and 'Look Both Ways' are my favourite Australian films as of late.

0Jade0

HSC
The Castle, A little bit of soul and Breaker Morant are my favourite Aussie Films. I haven't seen any recent ones.

Markazzo

HSC
Benny_ said:
What the heck makes Australia a 'nation that loves to laugh'. BS article alert through the roof.

My film lecturer mentioned that the industry suffers from a serious lack in genre films, which he argued would go a long way towards breathing some life into it. Good point I thought.
I don't think it's inappropriate to say Australia is a fairly jovial nation, and the article, which was a real article, just suggested that there haven't been many good movies in recent times to reflect this. It's not a rock solid definitive point, just something interesting.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I'm not debating that the Australian film industry hasn't made a lot of comedies of late, but 'Australia is a nation that loves to laugh' seems like a bit of a throw away line conveniently used to bring up the point. Australia isn't an unhappy country, but to call ourselves 'a nation that loves to laugh' just somehow doesn't seem to ring true for mine. Pointless really.. kinda like this reply, it's 1:14 and I should really be in my warm bed, yet I'm debating the value of a single line in an article. *yawn*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)