Australian Music Centre and other Aust. Art music things (1 Viewer)

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
The Australian Music Centre is the best place for HSC Music 2 students to go to look for Music related to the core topic "Australian Music of the last 25 Years

They can be found at10 Hickson Road, The Rocks it's very easy to get to by walking from Wynard or Circular Quay.

This is their homepage www.amcoz.com.au/home.htm . Have a look here for some ideas about what the AMC does and about membership to the library etc.

The database of music available for loan is here

http://www.amcoz.com.au/musicsaleslib/search_the_catalogues.htm

This should be really helpful.

People who play these instruments

* Cello
* Clarinet
* Flute
* Guitar
* Oboe
* Piccolo
* Saxophone
* Trombone
* Trumpet
* Violin
* Voice

will find repetoire lists of Australian Music written in the last 25 Years in these lists. they also have how difficult they are and on some, how long they are too.

hope this helps. :)

Last edited:

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Last edited:

ccgs_jono

uch I just hate Hindson with a passion, I went to his composition workshop last year and he just crapped on about how good he is...and I just hate his compositions...ALL of them...lol but cheers!

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
sorry!!

i just realised that that link doesn't work.... d'oh to me!!

http://www.amcoz.com.au/msearch.htm

that should work!! sorry guys!

and matthew hindsons work takes some getting used too.... i'm not too great a fan of it myself and i'm writing my extension music essay on him... yep the 3000 word one. should be interesting... come visit me in the HSC insane students ward at hospital once i'm through with it lol....

have a good break everyone!

chepas

HSC
Ah ujuphleg, you're doing the musicology for ext? Loverly! But can't you choose who/what you write about in the ext essay? Thus avoiding your beloved Hindson? :p

felafel

whoa . . . well i reckon hindson did a good job. . .

that feathered beaming technique he used was interesting!

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
hey chepas, yeah I'm doing Musicology Elective for Extension... :) what about you?? What are you doing if so?

Actually, the more I listen to Hindson, the more I'm apt to agree with Jono that he really is quite appalling to listen too... should rename this thread to "Hands up those who hate Hindson".... lol

actually, i made a trip to the AMC yesterday to do some research with regards to cello bowing techniques for my comp and i'm really interested now in Sarah Hopkins, so i might go with that. hey, at least her music is easier to listen to!

Hows everyone been going with their comps and stuff? Particularly with the 'Australian Focus' bit. Would love to hear about it....
:p

chepas

HSC
Compo - Elective and Compo - Extension (compo for elective veeery bad decision!!! Too much composition everywhere!).

One Question

What does one go through to buy a score/CD from the AMC for the aussie repertoire? And is it expensive/'ballpark' figure? I was gonna go today but was a lazy arse today.

chepas

HSC
Yer, I like Hopkins. Actually, the works I have run into haven't been too murderous on the ears yet. - but we did the last years' HSC exam for 2Unit in class last term, the 'Dawn Mantras' melody dication was a killer! - but very nice! (can't remember if the guy who wrote it was Australian though...)

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
hi chepas,

the address for the AMC is 10 Hickson Road, The Rocks it's very easy to get to, walk from Wynard or Circular Quay.

There are plenty of CD's there and they start upwards of about $20 but most of them retail between $29 to $35.

Scores depend on the composer and availibility. In addition, they usually take a little while, cos they don't have stock of them. They'll only print one if you order it. So if you want stuff for school, it would be advisable to go sometime this week to get it sometime in th next two weeks.

I'm making my second trip this holidays there tommorow to do some more research on Sarah Hopkins... should be interesting. lol.

They have a listening room there, with a piano in it, so you can grab the scores and recordings you want, put it on, and listen to it, or try out things on the piano...

and on a trivial note, the male toilets have to have the best view of any toilet in sydney. Opera House to the right, Bridge to the left. :p lol

Hope that helps. if you need anymore info, you can check out their website www.amcoz.com.au/home.htm or pm me. :)

Last edited:

chepas

HSC
Wow thanks tons for that!!! mmm. 2 weeks - I'm cutting it fine for the exam thats on May 5!! Haha. Might try to push it forward a bit.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
hello all!! honestly, all of us musos -- so lazy!!

then again it could be an indication of our wonderful subject -- its so easy and nice to do that we don't have to bitch about it.

but lets bitch. who thinks that this Australian Music thing is a ploy and it completley stupid?!

chepas

HSC
YES!!! I am so in agreement!

I think this is all to do with Bob Carr's the kid need to and should learn about Australian this and Australian that, that the kids should study more about Australia and all this other bs. Fair enough, but crikey... I remember our whole history class in year 10 just died to death of how tedious it all was, and were dieing to do Ancient Anything. (But then we got to ancient history and I was the first to drop it! Har har).

But now it has crept into music. I must admit I still can't see anythign special, except all the influences etc - all I can say is thank the Holy Virgin for AMC! Without it I would have no clue whatsoever. I would really prefer studying the prelim mandatory topic instead of the Aust Music one - the 1600-1900 music one. I loved it.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
what gets me is the introduction of all the australian crap into EVERYTHING. like you said, aust history in year 10 bored everyone to death. now you have to do bloody australian geography, and the music side of things which is ricidulous cos theres no substance. ok correction. there is, its just not really relevant to us at all.

australian stuff is everywhere too, even studies of religion, influences of christianity on australian society. in bio last year we had to study an australian scientist.

its insane and then people wonder why we're becoming like the US, who don't even realise that Australians fought in world war 1 and 2. we're becoming so nationalistic, and it's stupid.

i'll get off my soapbox now :)

olay

HSC
well, we ARE in australia..... its a good thing to know about our/its heritage. though i must say.... aust music? *eyes roll*.
i can sum it up in a sentence: some of it is delightful, most of it sounds like dying cat and all of it is characterised by a pastiche of musical elements from different styles, eras and geographic locations.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
ATTENTION!!! CHANGE OF AMC ADDRESS

don't worry, it's still in the same place

but the address is now 10 Hickson Road The Rocks, not 18 as it was before.

thats all

Last edited:

chepas

HSC
Mmm. Same building or now moved to a diff. building? Cos I noticed that some of the numbers were being altered on other buildings so maybe is it just a new numbering scheme?

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
ooh sorry

yeah i put in a subject heading for my last post, but it didn't come up

its in the same place, they've just been renumbering along hickson road, so 18 has become 10. thats it really. :)

chepas

HSC
Ah ha.

I wish they'd renumber along streets/roads with house numbers with 4 digits or mroe, the most should be 3, otherwise it's just too hard to verbally tell your address to anyone. I'm in a flat at 1217 and it's great fun saying 'one-two-one-seven' and then having them go 'So you're address is one, to seventeen?' - or even saying the whole number in it's cumbersome self - one thousand, two hundred and seventeen.

Mmm. end of randomness :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)