• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Australian Politics (3 Viewers)

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Hmm

politics and

political events of some significance

indeed

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I'll decide what's posted in this thread

And the circumstances

In which

It's

posted

Lentern

HSC
That reminded me of a cartoon I saw the other day. YouTube - The Senate. Some may although I doubt it recognise this guys work as a several time Qanda mash up maker. My small claim to fame is after watching his first handful of cartoons I contacted him and advised him to send them into Qanda and now every video he has sent in has gotten broadcasted thus far.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I'll decide what's posted in this thread

And the circumstances

In which

It's

posted
lol not directed at you gayney.

Just
strugglin to find something to say

Rudd has silenced my dissent. He is truley master of australian media dish

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
the problem with gillard is

absolutely nothing.

:eek:
I know.
Damn that bitch.

Even if not everything possible is being done, i'm still basically satisfied that it's being looked into. I have no hate or love for my government anymore.
It's like fucking political purgatory. We can see the light on the hill, but we know in our hearts that we wont reach it anytime soon.

It's all a farce

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
My feeling is that if the economy tanks, folks are unemployed, and Rudd goes to an election on climate change policy, the electorate will not be sympathetic.

He certainly can't back down any further.

If Rudd gets climate policy through somehow, and the economy then turns sour, if the coalition holds strong, they will seize power at the next election. The electorate will only be sympathetic to green issues as long as the green is in their wallet. 'Green extremism' that can be linked to job losses, even if the links are much exaggerated, hysterical and tenuous, is the big looming issue.

/lenternesque speculation.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Gillard is the world to me, I wish to lay with her on a bed of roses.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I think it's treason to suggest, even with your eyes, that Labor will lose the next election ????

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Yeah, the one after the economy is shattered AND climate change policy is sorted.

Give 'em the ol' one, two.

Lentern

HSC
the problem with gillard is

absolutely nothing.

:eek:
Deputy Prime Minister Julia Gillard was the government's best performer
Mark Latham

I'd say thats pretty damning. Gillards has IR and Education in the wake of the Howard goernment, hardly difficult portfolios to look good in. I think the clearest indication of her political instincts would be who has allways voted with her in party ballots:
Simon Crean
Craig Emerson
Joe Fitzgibbon
Mark Latham*
Laurie Bereton*
Laurie Ferguson
Martin Ferguson
Kim Car
Rod Sawford
Harry Quick
Nicola Roxon

*Latham and Bereton were no longer around when it came to the Rudd/Beazley ballot.

She is the Queen of the boneheads, labor should never have dumped Macklin.

Lentern

HSC
My feeling is that if the economy tanks, folks are unemployed, and Rudd goes to an election on climate change policy, the electorate will not be sympathetic.

He certainly can't back down any further.

If Rudd gets climate policy through somehow, and the economy then turns sour, if the coalition holds strong, they will seize power at the next election. The electorate will only be sympathetic to green issues as long as the green is in their wallet. 'Green extremism' that can be linked to job losses, even if the links are much exaggerated, hysterical and tenuous, is the big looming issue.

/lenternesque speculation.
Wait woah, next election? Does that mean 2010 or 2012/13? The former is out of range for the coalition you must see it, even despite the recent inroads into the governments opinion poll lead Rudd is still at this point going to increase the majority.

If the opposition continues the path they are on then they have a good chance of reducing the majority by 2010 and thrashing the government in 2013 (not withstanding a Tampa kind of event). Climate change won't tip an election either way, especially not against an incumbent. Thats buying into the narratives about workchoices swinging the election. I doubt too many people honestly believe that 2007 election sans workchoices sees Howard beat Rudd.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Re: stuff, read post 12:44

The coalition will have a chance once unemployment seriously rises, and if there has been climate change reform by this time, it will be a huge advantage to link these two issues. Too much, too soon, wrong time.

I doubt too many people honestly believe that 2007 election sans workchoices sees Howard beat Rudd.
I believe it's entirely possible. It's what got the whole kevin 07 huge initial traction. It would have been a difficult campaign, but they would have been on a much surer footing.

On climate change alone the electorate favors reform obviously, but in a troubled economy even mild reform will seriously hurt labor.

Lentern

HSC

The coalition will have a chance once unemployment seriously rises, and if there has been climate change reform by this time, it will be a huge advantage to link these two issues. Too much, too soon, wrong time.

I believe it's entirely possible. It's what got the whole kevin 07 huge initial traction. It would have been a difficult campaign, but they would have been on a much surer footing.

On climate change alone the electorate favors reform obviously, but in a troubled economy even mild reform will seriously hurt labor.
Do you think workchoices was a harder package to sell than the GST was. Recall Kim Beazley actually took a harder line against workchoices then Rudd and he has more of a "tough, will fight the government to stand up for middle Australia" kind of demeanour about him, not to the extent of Latham but still more than Rudd. Although I think Beazley probably could have won I can't imagine him getting the giant leads Rudd got.

Theres a fair bit of chicken and the egg at play but on the whole I think the patience the people still have for the government dictates how a policy will be recieved more so than a policy dictates how much patience the people have for the government. The general sentiment with NSW labor at the moment is they cant stop making a mess of everything. I won't go into whether its true or false but I am sure that eight or so years ago when newspoll said Bob Carr was a prefered federal leader to Crean or Beazley that the government was not being run umpteen times better.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC

70%-80% of people support Rudd's minuscule climate scheme and want it to pass. The polls were taken at the start of this year (Feb/April/March, IIRC).

What's your justification for thinking people don't support action during a recession? The majority don't support drastic action, according to the same polls, but that's two different things.

I didn't see the polls on whether or not the scheme should be delayed a year or not. Perhaps you can provide them, as that's the only way I can see your claims making sense.

Lentern

HSC
70%-80% of people support Rudd's minuscule climate scheme and want it to pass. The polls were taken at the start of this year (Feb/April/March, IIRC).

What's your justification for thinking people don't support action during a recession? The majority don't support drastic action, according to the same polls, but that's two different things.

I didn't see the polls on whether or not the scheme should be delayed a year or not. Perhaps you can provide them, as that's the only way I can see your claims making sense.
Thats not thepoint. When the pack is baying they will get their victim.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
And now
We're living in a great creative nation
Yet we wait somehow
The battle for the country can't be won
Until we understand
How well we know our land
How much we hide our shame
Or dare to speak its name.

:Lentern:...

And here
We wander though the midst of this
And wish that it would disappear
As if it's only locally created
Insulated pain
A shadow and a stain
A hurt we can't reveal
A cut too deep to heal.

:Lentern:

But oh, I know we can succeed
We can't afford to fail
And justice must prevail
And oh, I'm sure it will indeed
With everything we share
We know it's only fair.

To begin
I think we oughta show contrition, recognition of our sin
And wonder how we had the gall
To think that it was all OK
And never thought to say
"How angry would I be if this were done to me?"

:Lentern:

But oh, I know we can succeed
We can't afford to fail
And justice must prevail
And oh, I'm sure it will indeed
With everything we share
We know it's only fair... Oh yeah!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)