Australian Politics (1 Viewer)

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
the televisionary program dude

Lentern

HSC
From memory, The Howard Years featured no commentary at all. It was simply a look at his government from those involved. What was so good about it was the way the interviews were edited to look like they were all in conversation with eachother - contradicting some things, agreeing with others. I suppose editing is a kind of commentary, but you still draw your own conclusions without significant pressure

Liberal rule is just sloppy so far
Your memory is wrong.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Lol Chris Pearson

"Redistribution of resources from the wealthy to the poor. That's what it means to be on the Left... The British people don't hanker after communism but they do expect their kids to get a good education without them having to pay for it. They expect to get world-class treatment from their local hospital, free of charge. They want their children to be able to afford housing and for their parents to recieve proper pensions. In short, they expect society to provide the infrustructure for their aspirations"

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Ahaha

Lateline

Stello just cant help himself. I'm sorry for doubting you Lentern; he's not out of it yet :eek:

Australian story was an amazing insight. Turnbull is really the model man that I seek to emulate :(

Lentern

HSC
Ahaha

Lateline

Stello just cant help himself. I'm sorry for doubting you Lentern; he's not out of it yet :eek:

Australian story was an amazing insight. Turnbull is really the model man that I seek to emulate :(
I didn't watch lateline but i saw people skills on the 7.30 report the other night. As he told Kerry that he was right behind Malcolm I was suddenly reminded of Turnbull looking sternly bubbles of cheer being suppressed as he declared "Brendan Nelson has my full support."

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Libs considering dumping Turnbull for Andrew Robb.
Desperate Liberals look to replace Turnbull with Robb | The Australian

Mr Robb has emerged as the surprise contender given that Mr Costello and Dr Nelson have both announced they will leave politics at the next election, Julie Bishop is having trouble holding on to her job as deputy leader, Treasury spokesman Joe Hockey has made it clear he doesn't want the job and indigenous affairs spokesman Tony Abbott has alienated his conservative support base by supporting Mr Turnbull's right to push for an early passage of the emissions trading scheme.
Andrew who?

Would be a riskly move imo, as Robb is seen as being quite timid and I'd be unsure as to whether he has the gusto to match Rudd (parties aside) come election time.

Peter..............you watching still?

Last edited:

Lentern

HSC
The liberal party are now attempting to usher in Andrew Robb as leader.

Desperate Liberals look to replace Turnbull with Robb | The Australian

Frankly, after watching Australian Story the other day, I would back Turnbull as a much better future PM. Can't really see where the Libs are going with this ploy. Just destabalising Turnbull's rocky position even further.
I never rated Robb's chances, not high enough up in the pecking order for his age but if he did become leader he wouldn't do too badly. It's quite possible that he's never entertained an interesting thought in his life but unlike Abbott, Bishop and even to an extent Costello he's very sound, reliable, stable. He is someone capable of cultivating a trust with the electorate.

I don't think you neccessarilly need to be a household name to be the parties leader. The problem with Simon Crean was as much timing as it was his performance, had he taken the leadership 10 months out for an electorate he wouldn't have needed to be a high flyer to get the press attention he so desperately needed, they would have come to him. Same would go for Robb.

With that being said I can't really see the logic in it. From their position now the coalition would need a really dynamic, all or nothing politician to have a chance at the next election, a circuit breaker like Bronwyn Bishop perhaps (although rumour has it she's about to be de selected) Whatever Robb's strengths he is not a circuit breaker so it would be a two term strategy. If Rudd wanted to draw out the second election Robb would be atleast sixty one. Some might say that's a tad old to run for prime minister.

This man however would be fifty four thereabouts at the same election, six years would have passed since workchoices and Australian debt would be about a gazillion dollars. Would be a slam dunk if his party were clever enough to choose him.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Maybe Robb is just thinking about taking a bullet for the party, so that the real talent can remain unblemished by defeat at the next election. It would be a criminal waste for Turnbull to be killed off next year

Lentern

HSC
Maybe Robb is just thinking about taking a bullet for the party, so that the real talent can remain unblemished by defeat at the next election. It would be a criminal waste for Turnbull to be killed off next year
If he did it would be brilliant strategy by the libs and extremely noble on the part of Robb. Would Malcolm get given a second go though? I know Howard and Peacock both did but gee whiz I can imagine a few liberals: Joe, Bishop, Abbott, perhaps Pyne who would be bitter about him getting a second go before they were allowed to show their stuff.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Dude, I always thought you were Slidey

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
NSW Federal Redistribution.

Generally bad for the coalition. Notionally ALP gain 1, Libs lose 2 seats.

Proposed Redistribution of NSW 2009
Antony Green's Election Blog: Federal Redistribution: NSW Draft Electoral Boundaries

* The western Sydney seat of Reid has been abolished. It has been held since 1990 by Labor's Laurie Ferguson.
* The inner-western suburbs seat of Lowe has been re-named McMahon after former Prime Minister Sir William McMahon, who represented the seat from 1949-82.
* Malcolm Turnbull's seat of Wentworth is unchanged.
* Labor's star recruit Maxine Mckew has been strengthened slighty in Bennelong, the seat she gained by defeating former Prime Minister John Howard in 2007.
* The massive change has been the removal of Bathurst and Lithgow from Macquarie. This reduces the Labor margin in Macquarie from 7.0% to 0.1%. Labor MP Bob Debus is retiring at the 2010 election. The redistribution returns Macquarie to the boundaries it held before the 2007 election.
* The National held seat of Calare also goes from safe National to marginal National after gaining Bathurst and Lithgow.
* As a consequence of the change to Macquarie, Greenway pushes back towards Blacktown. It is currently held by Liberal Louise Markus. Her Liberal margin of 4.5% has been wiped out, the seat now having a notional Labor margin of 5.6%.
* The marginal Liberal seats of Hughes, Paterson and Gilmore have all been weakened but stay on the Liberal side of the electoral pendulum.
* The outer Sydney seat of Macarthur, currently held by Liberal Pat Framer with a margin of 0.7%, becomes a marginal Labor seat with a margin of 0.1%.

Lentern

HSC
Well, possible preselection challenge somewhere?
Yeah he can go cause trouble somewhere else if he lieks the point is i'm gonna have a local member who isn't a total bonehead(assuming most of Reid will become blaxland or Parramatta).

spiny norman

HSC
Hooray! No more Laurie Ferguson.
I really warmed to Laurie during the national ALP conference. The night before, I caught the last Western Line train of the night home. I got in and collapsed in my seat, pissed as a newt. I looked ahead of me at the only other person in the carriage - Laurie, looking my inebriated equal.

The first day of conference was, as portrayed on the television news, unexciting. They showed Alan Griffin drifting off, Tanya Plibersek doing sudoku, Maxine McKew reading the paper. What they failed to show was Laurie. He went into the foyer of the convention centre, and went and sat himself down in a chair. Sometimes people went and sat and spoke to him, more often than not he just sat by himself looking lost in thought/hungover. He was in this seat for about two hours, and when Kate Ellis walked by, and everyone's head turned, Laurie was more than happy to join the leering. It was no surprise to me when he later came to Emily's List Drinks.

So a fond farewell to Laurie! He will be missed by all, except people like Lentern who dislike people with a personality getting involved in politics.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
nah good riddance union grub
go find another nest egg. Parlmnt is srs bsns

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)